Defensive Coordinator solved!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wonderboy

Rookie
Here's the name...... Steve Spanuolo!!! Think about it, he lead the Giants to the most incredible Super Bowl victory ever over the hated Patriots. He happens to be out of work right now which makes him available! He runs a 4-3 which is what the Rams have the personnel for! It's a perfect fit! What do you guys think!

Wonderboy

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK, please rank your response to that as one of the following:

1) Intrigued, maybe the Rams could make it work.
2) Pissed, wanted to figure out who I am (the guy that posted it) so you could personally chew me out.
3) Laughed out loud at the thought! (That was the intention, I hope I made you crack a smile instead of blowing a gasket) :lol:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's just not a good fit, and I don't think anyone would be on board with it. His personality is the polar opposite of what Fisher is looking for, and I don't think Fisher has much faith in Spagnuolo as a coach anyway. His statement of "We'll never be picking 2nd again" pretty much sums up what he thought of the effort (justified or not) put forth by this team under his tutelage.

You'll not the first one to float that out there, so I have no desire to rip into you or anything. I just don't think it would work and I don't think the Rams are all the interested in exploring that particular option.

Wonderboy

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
It's just not a good fit, and I don't think anyone would be on board with it. His personality is the polar opposite of what Fisher is looking for, and I don't think Fisher has much faith in Spagnuolo as a coach anyway. His statement of "We'll never be picking 2nd again" pretty much sums up what he thought of the effort (justified or not) put forth by this team under his tutelage.

You'll not the first one to float that out there, so I have no desire to rip into you or anything. I just don't think it would work and I don't think the Rams are all the interested in exploring that particular option.

X, you're too fast for me to even mess with you! :yeh: I'm the last guy on earth who wants Spags back. I couldn't be more behind Fisher and what he is doing, including not signing Ryan (no matter who's idea it was). I just thought in the light-hearted spirit of the board (where I've fallen for a few jokes before) it would be fun to elevate some people's heart-rates for a few ticks all in the spirit of fun!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wonderboy said:
X said:

X, you're too fast for me to even mess with you! :yeh: I'm the last guy on earth who wants Spags back. I couldn't be more behind Fisher and what he is doing, including not signing Ryan (no matter who's idea it was). I just thought in the light-hearted spirit of the board (where I've fallen for a few jokes before) it would be fun to elevate some people's heart-rates for a few ticks all in the spirit of fun!
you.jpg

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
No. Bad idea to bring in the ex head coach of the team less than 2 years ago, to be a coordinator. I feel like he would feel awkward as would certain players, and i dont think Spags would mesh good with Fisher imo.

EDIT: lol i guess 3, i didnt laugh till i saw the 1 2 3 options.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Wonderboy said:
Here's the name...... Steve Spanuolo!!! Think about it, he lead the Giants to the most incredible Super Bowl victory ever over the hated Patriots. He happens to be out of work right now which makes him available! He runs a 4-3 which is what the Rams have the personnel for! It's a perfect fit! What do you guys think!

:hahaha: :whuu:

But in all seriousness, what is there to like about Spags. He led a group of underachievers in his years here, drafted poorly, and is a control freak. What is there to like about him? I'll pass.

Lesson

Oh, really?
While both Spags and Fisher run a 4-3, I think Spags' philosophy differs from Fisher's in a significant way.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We should hire Manny Diaz, the Texas DC. He's a serious up and comer. With how the NFL is changing, hiring a good DC from a college that's had experience coaching against spread offenses and running QB's. It could be the new trend.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay it has happened a few times in the NFL when a former Head Coach returned as a Defenisve Coordinator. To my knowledge, it has never happend on the offensive side of the ball.

1. Marion Campbell returned to the Atlanta Falcons as a defensvie coordinator after he was Head Coach for them from 1974-1976 in 1986 after being fired by the Philadelphia Eagles as their Head Coach. Amazingly the Falcons hired Campbell in 1987 as their Head Coach and once again he was fired after 2 1/2 horrendous seasons...We learn about history so we don't repeat the same mistakes, but the Falcons ignored history.

2. Gurnter Cunningham a more amazing story returned to the Kansas City Chiefs in 2004 after being fired at the end of the 2000 season to work for the man that replaced him as Head Coach Dick Vermeil...

So as to Spagnuolo the answer is no because it just does not happend and will not happen especially after Spagnuolo found it difficult in the big easy. Plus was not the most popular person around Rams Park and that is another reason it would never happen.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
DR RAM said:
We should hire Manny Diaz, the Texas DC. He's a serious up and comer. With how the NFL is changing, hiring a good DC from a college that's had experience coaching against spread offenses and running QB's. It could be the new trend.

Quite frankly IMO the Longhorn defense sucked this year and gave up many points. Many wanted Diaz gone, but the Horns rallied and kept not only Diaz's job, but Mack Brown's too. If the Rams were going to dip in the college ranks Kirby Smart of the Crimson Tide or Todd Grantham of Georgia would be far better options. Not to mention the best defensive coordinator in college football LSU's John Chavous, but he's not going anywhere!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
den-the-coach said:
So as to Spagnuolo the answer is no because it just does not happend and will not happen especially after Spagnuolo found it difficult in the big easy. Plus was not the most popular person around Rams Park and that is another reason it would never happen.

Yeah, I give it a - 100 percent chance.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
den-the-coach said:
Okay it has happened a few times in the NFL when a former Head Coach returned as a Defenisve Coordinator. To my knowledge, it has never happend on the offensive side of the ball.

1. Marion Campbell returned to the Atlanta Falcons as a defensvie coordinator after he was Head Coach for them from 1974-1976 in 1986 after being fired by the Philadelphia Eagles as their Head Coach. Amazingly the Falcons hired Campbell in 1987 as their Head Coach and once again he was fired after 2 1/2 horrendous seasons...We learn about history so we don't repeat the same mistakes, but the Falcons ignored history.

2. Gurnter Cunningham a more amazing story returned to the Kansas City Chiefs in 2004 after being fired at the end of the 2000 season to work for the man that replaced him as Head Coach Dick Vermeil...

Interesting. I can't think of an instance either, but I'm gonna loooooooook.... :lol:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
den-the-coach said:

Interesting. I can't think of an instance either, but I'm gonna loooooooook.... :lol:
I'm sure it's happened, I mean just this year Norv Turner went from head coach to the Browns OC. Seems like he's done that a couple of times by himself.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
DR RAM said:
I'm sure it's happened, I mean just this year Norv Turner went from head coach to the Browns OC. Seems like he's done that a couple of times by himself.

Norv Turner has been Head Coach of the Redskins, Raiders & Chargers but has never returned as offensive coordinator for those teams...That's what my post is about - a former head coach returning to a team he used to be Head Coach of... It just does not happen with the exceptions of the two that I posted about in the modern era.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
den-the-coach said:
DR RAM said:

Norv Turner has been Head Coach of the Redskins, Raiders & Chargers but has never returned as offensive coordinator for those teams...That's what my post is about - a former head coach returning to a team he used to be Head Coach of... It just does not happen with the exceptions of the two that I posted about in the modern era.
Ohhhh, sorry. I fucked up. This whole thread is kind of a joke anyway.

Edit: I meant a joke thread...hope everyone caught that.