Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Penguin.

Rookie
The news Ram's defense kinda sucks. All these exotic blitz packages are useless when the offense snaps the ball before the players get in position, the ball is thrown too quickly for linemen to drop in coverage and other players to blitz, etc. So why not play coverage and not get sacks, rather than blitz and not get sacks?

Just a suggestion.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
This D line has shown in the past that it can get sacks all by themselves so dropping more people back into coverage might actually give them the time to do that. Dropping more into coverage and getting sacks aren't mutually exclusive.

What Gregg Williams has done with this defence so far is bordering on criminal. So much wasted talent. If they can turn it around and go back to being more like the defence we saw in the second part of last year, that changes everything for this team and the W-L record going forward.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Since I know I am going to hell in my afterlife already, I want Bounty Gate 2 to start happening soon. Sherman, Krappernick, Ellington, get some ACLS torn.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get the whole over-focusing on the blitz, personally. Blitzing works, you just have to do it right. Rams defense is just executing poorly.

It's the same basic defense, of course, but last year we saw a lot of sitting back and keeping the play in front. The players are adjusting to a more thorough version of the defense that Fisher wants. He's a Buddy Ryan disciple. Rams will be a blitzing team as long as he's head coach and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ogletree should be shining in this defense but he's probably still trying to be in the right spot and if he's thinking he's not gonna be executing to the extent he needs to be which is attacking. Same deal with the DBs, they need to execute what is called and quit with the breakdowns. The DL is a whole other conversation, for the first part of the sched all teams had to fear was Quinn but now that Donald is in there we should start seeing some more consistent pressure.

What I'm saying is at some point this defense is gonna arrive. Too much talent, and the coaching IS good too. Will probably be too late to help us see a big run this season, but by that last part of the sched this group is going to be downright nasty and that will be because they are properly executing the scheme. Not because they decided to stop blitzing.

Penguin.

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I found the problem. The interior part of the line is not playing good without Donald. I saw Mankins push Brockers a yard back as Quinn beat his guy, then Mankins bulldozed Quinn from the blind side. Quinn is doing good, but the interior part of the line is playing atrocious. No push at all. Qbs just step up and evade the edge rushers. It's sad to see.