Defense ranked #6

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
tumblr_inline_nbtkqv8fiF1sy5lwu.gif

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I said it before and I'll say it again - we have a 12-4 defense and a 4-12 offense (and that might be overstating the latter).

If we have even an average, middle-of-the-pack offense, then this team is feared and NOBODY would want to play us. And we would have at least 7 wins banked by now ... but maybe even more.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And tied for 5th based on points allowed.

I think it's time for an intervention.

TexasRam

Legend
Actually 1 or 2 more shutdown games and we could easily move into #1 defense by season end.

Psycho_X

Legend
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Imagine how much better the defense could be if our offense was good. Opponents would play from behind and throw the ball more, more opportunities to get sacks and interceptions.

Such a waste now. And the only sad thing about a coaching change would be losing Greg Williams because god know who would replace him and if they'd be capable of using the current personnel that we have.

Also, I'm surprised Dean Pees doesn't get talked about more for coaching candidacies with as well his defense always does in Baltimore. I don't know anything about the guy so maybe he's just one of those lifetime coordinators that just doesn't have a HC personality and people know it. But he's been solid there and when he was with the Patriots during their super bowl era.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The past 4 games we are 1-3. In that period our defense has given up 10.75 ppg. Meanwhile our offense has averaged 9.75 ppg.

That is literally unheard of.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Such a waste now. And the only sad thing about a coaching change would be losing Greg Williams because god know who would replace him and if they'd be capable of using the current personnel that we have.

If I'm hiring a new head coach, I would ask him to keep Williams and the D staff intact as much as possible (although I imagine Brandon Fisher is a goner).

And if I was a HC with an offensive pedigree coming into the Rams job, I would ask - no, BEG - Williams to stay put and keep doing his thing.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
That they're somehow ranked 6 is very impressive to me.

I'm absolutely on record for being nervous about the losses at secondary and the change up and depth at LB.

I'm concerned about our LB again now with Forrest's injury.

Greg Williams has more than dealt with his share of adversity and remained competitive.

HellRam

Starter
That they're somehow ranked 6 is very impressive to me.

I'm absolutely on record for being nervous about the losses at secondary and the change up and depth at LB.

I'm concerned about our LB again now with Forrest's injury.

Greg Williams has more than dealt with his share of adversity and remained competitive.

Williams come's across as a sharp dude. His defense makes alot more adjustments then the Rams offense does. I wouldn't mind having Williams interview for the Rams future HC job that is of course Fisher is not retained. With Goff I'd like for the Rams to look for a more of a offensive mindset coach. That said I wouldn't mind Willaims, if anyone has learned how a offense can affect a defense it would Greg Williams. I can see Greg finding the best OC out there and letting him just do his job, which should be scoring points.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I said it before and I'll say it again - we have a 12-4 defense and a 4-12 offense (and that might be overstating the latter).

If we have even an average, middle-of-the-pack offense, then this team is feared and NOBODY would want to play us. And we would have at least 7 wins banked by now ... but maybe even more.

Well, maybe we shouldn't expect anything less with Keenum and the Rookie Goff running an offense, coordinated by a first timer with the guidance of a historically defensive minded coach. Fisher's fear of mistakes is holding them all back, but maybe Goff can lead the offense to win some trust from his head coach. If it happens I doubt it will ever happen this season.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was really impressed yesterday till they folded like a cheap tent .

JerseyRam1

Rookie
This team could be 7-3 if they had coaches that could lead an offense and crrect the weekly dumb penalties. You cant replace the players, but you can make a leadership change to get the most out of the Rams talent. Thats what has been so crushing for the fans.

The past 4 games we are 1-3. In that period our defense has given up 10.75 ppg. Meanwhile our offense has averaged 9.75 ppg.

That is literally unheard of.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Dolphins game is a perfect example. It is not about scoring 35 points a game, just about being a passable NFL offense. If the team was able to extend a few more possessions, pick up a few first downs and convert a few third downs, that game ends 10-0 more than likely.
Limiting the other team a couple of possessions per game changes a ton for this team.

Psycho_X

Legend
The Dolphins game is a perfect example. It is not about scoring 35 points a game, just about being a passable NFL offense. If the team was able to extend a few more possessions, pick up a few first downs and convert a few third downs, that game ends 10-0 more than likely.
Limiting the other team a couple of possessions per game changes a ton for this team.

Or at the very least it ends with us having 6-10 more points on the board due to a few more first downs and the end game surge most losing teams seem to get doesn't cause us to lose the game. Either way, it's depressing to watch.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This will help in these last 6 weeks of the Season IF we can keep it up and SCORE SOME DAMN POINTS!!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Well, maybe we shouldn't expect anything less with Keenum and the Rookie Goff running an offense, coordinated by a first timer with the guidance of a historically defensive minded coach. Fisher's fear of mistakes is holding them all back, but maybe Goff can lead the offense to win some trust from his head coach. If it happens I doubt it will ever happen this season.

I would be more sympathetic to that point of view if I hadn't seen the same thing in Fisher's first few seasons with the Rams, in which he started out with another #1 draft pick at QB and the offense still emphasized preventing mistakes over all else first. Remember how Bradford was bashed for not pushing the ball down the field and becoming Mr. Checkdown Charlie? He was coached that way. We still saw repeated 3rd down throws that were not beyond the sticks, still saw safe passes, short, easy stuff, checkdowns, etc.

In short, I just don't see anything in Fisher's history that suggests he'll ever be willing to open things up more, to take full advantage of Goff's skill set, and in general, make this offense good. Despite the abysmal showing by our offense week after week, he seems pretty set in his ways and seems to think if we just keep doing the same things, eventually something will change for the better.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Williams come's across as a sharp dude. His defense makes alot more adjustments then the Rams offense does. I wouldn't mind having Williams interview for the Rams future HC job that is of course Fisher is not retained. With Goff I'd like for the Rams to look for a more of a offensive mindset coach. That said I wouldn't mind Willaims, if anyone has learned how a offense can affect a defense it would Greg Williams. I can see Greg finding the best OC out there and letting him just do his job, which should be scoring points.

A perfect example of Williams' ability to adjust was the Buffalo game. Rams went into the game missing 3 of 4 DL starters and Buffalo ran wild early. But Williams diagnosed the problem, adjusted, and got the D to settle down, and after that Buffalo's production dropped noticeably.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Imagine how much better the defense could be if our offense was good. Opponents would play from behind and throw the ball more, more opportunities to get sacks and interceptions.

well, i think the way the rams play leads to this. they keep games close. opponents don't need to do much offensively to stay in the game. they only need a td or two to win.

whenever the rams have piled on points the d has not been stellar at all. quite the opposite. when the opposition need to push the ball they have done so with ease. look at yesterdays game as a prime example. the bucs game, the lions game.

i'm not convinced they would have the same ranking if the rams offense would put up more points.