Defense On The Rise!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
I just came across some very encouraging statistics. In the last 3 weeks, the Rams defense has held opposing quarterbacks to a rating of 26.3 (4th lowest), opposing teams to 274.3 yards per game (8th lowest) and opponents to 14.7 first downs per game (4th lowest). And this defense is still acclimating to the 3-4 scheme. With the offense still on the upswing, special teams doing their usual thing, and this defense on the verge of becoming dominant, the ceiling is the roof for this team! (Thanks MJ).

It feels damn good to be in the middle of the season and still have a team to be excited about!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Still a lot of doubters thinking we haven't played solid teams yet. Hmmmmm ok, well we got an interesting schedule ahead and that will be the proof in the pudding that we aren't no busters.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We should be playing some much better QB's soon...
The stats were for the last three games. While Bortles and Palmer/Stanton are questionable, the third game back it was Russell Wilson. He seems to be everyone's world beater until he plays the Rams, then it's always "Wilson has always struggled with the Rams". I don't get it. Anyways, I think this defense is getting better every week.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We should be playing some much better QB's soon...
Manning - 12th rated but his best receivers are out (I know @dieterbrock, you are fullly awake :LOL:)
Watson - 26th rated but so mobile... but a rook
Keenum - 24th rated - I know he's doing well... but, for some reason, I would not be concerned. It's their defense that is getting the real job done
Brees - 9th rated. OK, he is a real concern
Stanton - 44th - we all saw what he is
Wentz - 4th rated. Very impressive kid... this one will be interesting!
Wilson again - 15th rated and always dangerous
Mariota - 25th rated. Mobile, but, under pressure, can be rattled
Bethard - unless he bursts out before this game, not worried about him at all.

So, to recap:
4th
9th
12th
15th
24th
25th
26th
44th
Bethard
A few mobile QBs in the mix, but it's not exactly killers row. A couple softballs in there (Stanton, Beathard)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Manning - 12th rated but his best receivers are out (I know @dieterbrock, you are fullly awake :LOL:)
Keenum - 24th rated - I know he's doing well... but, for some reason, I would not be concerned. It's their defense that is getting the real job done
Brees - 9th rated. OK, he is a real concern
Stanton - 44th - we all saw what he is
Wentz - 4th rated. Very impressive kid... this one will be interesting!
Wilson again - 15th rated and always dangerous
Mariota - 25th rated. Mobile, but, under pressure, can be rattled
Bethard - unless he bursts out before this game, not worried about him at all.

So, to recap:
4th
9th
12th
15th
24th
25th
26th
44th
Bethard
A few mobile QBs in the mix, but it's not exactly killers row. A couple softballs in there (Stanton, Beathard)
What's the metric for rating?
Watson scares me quite a bit, the cat has accounted for 16 td in his 5 starts, 15 in his last 4. Nuts!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't get where Watson is 26th...He's played very well up to this point. And Keenum is 24th??? Ok.
Manning has won 2 SB's
Brees is Brees...IMO one of the top 5 in the game. You disagree? Check his last game against us.
Marriota is 25th huh? Well, just watching him...he's a little up and down...but his ups are really, really good.
I've already expressed how I feel about Wilson and Wentz.
That's 6 QB's...three SB winners, and 2 up and coming youngsters (Watson & Marriota), and one who has arrived (Wentz).
IMO, Keenum will be of interest due to the familiarity and just the Case Keenum story. Is Case the guy we had, or....is he also experiencing a rebirth away from Fisher, Boras, and the rest of the offensive staff.

A few mobile QBs in the mix, but it's not exactly killers row.
Killers row....naw...but some damn fine winning percentages.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's the metric for rating?
Watson scares me quite a bit, the cat has accounted for 16 td in his 5 starts, 15 in his last 4. Nuts!
Yards.
Here's rating:
Manning - 24th
Watson - 10th
Keenum - 23rd
Brees - 11th
Stanton - N/A
Wentz - 7th
Wilson again - 14th
Mariota - 28th
Bethard - 36th
Want to hear something funny (and sad)? Flacco: 40th

So...
Stanton

Oh, and "cat"? Yeah, I remember those days...:LOL:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eroR5qJ9Aw

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get where Watson is 26th...He's played very well up to this point. And Keenum is 24th??? Ok.
Manning has won 2 SB's
Brees is Brees...IMO one of the top 5 in the game. You disagree? Check his last game against us.
Marriota is 25th huh? Well, just watching him...he's a little up and down...but his ups are really, really good.
I've already expressed how I feel about Wilson and Wentz.
That's 6 QB's...three SB winners, and 2 up and coming youngsters (Watson & Marriota), and one who has arrived (Wentz).
IMO, Keenum will be of interest due to the familiarity and just the Case Keenum story. Is Case the guy we had, or....is he also experiencing a rebirth away from Fisher, Boras, and the rest of the offensive staff.

It was based on yards... basically suggesting actual passing danger but, I get it, some of these are dengerous with their legs. But, figure out how to cage those guys (yes, it can be done) and they are not usually very effective. Accurate, pocket passers are what wins championships in the NFL.

That's three really long ago super bowl winners (hmmmm)
2 up and coming? Mariota is 25th in passing yards and 28th in rating... not so sure that's up and coming (wouldn't want that as my future)... Watson? Why, we hardly know you, kid (he's my FF QB, so I hope he keeps this up... but I'm not counting on it).
And what Brees did to us last time has very little bearing on what he might do to us now...I know you don't live in a vacuum. ;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
That's three really long ago super bowl winners (hmmmm)
2 up and coming? Mariota is 25th in passing yards and 28th in rating... not so sure that's up and coming (wouldn't want that as my future)... Watson? Why, we hardly know you, kid (he's my FF QB, so I hope he keeps this up... but I'm not counting on it).
And what Brees did to us last time has very little bearing on what he might do to us now...I know you don't live in a vacuum. ;)
First, I don't get the...their legs are the only thing dangerous...Watson is throwing TD passes. Scoring TD's....with a boatload of yards. Marriota is having a shaky season...but the games I've watched....he looks dangerous...I don't care what he ranks....

Brees did win a SB...it's there...and as far as I can tell, is still a top 5 QB in today's game. I think what happened last year has a lot to do with what MIGHT happen this year. Different schemes...yeah...similar personnel. If we shut out New Orleans after what they did to us in 2016, will be moving in the right direction as in being an elite defense.

Wilson is constantly in the playoffs..winning games. I know we play him pretty good...and yet, he still finds ways to beat us. It's kinda amazing really.

The only guy I'd say could be done is Eli....I never really liked Eli...That chuck and duck thing he does...but he's a SB winning QB...the only guy to beat Brady twice in SB's. So, he's still a good player with decent weapons behind a terrible offensive line.

A long time ago, their teams around them were better. Brees had his best defensive team, Eli had a great defensive team. Wilson had an outstanding defensive team. Other than that and poor offensive line play, those guys are still good players and dangerous.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only guy I'd say could be done is Eli....I never really liked Eli...That chuck and duck thing he does...but he's a SB winning QB...the only guy to beat Brady twice in SB's. So, he's still a good player with decent weapons behind a terrible offensive line.
He has no weapons right now. Well, check that, he has Engram who is pretty good. But thats it. Shepperd should be back but man this WR core makes the Rams of the Spags/Fisher days look HOF.
Maybe they'll trade him to Denver and try for a 2.0

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watson is throwing TD passes. Scoring TD's....with a boatload of yards.
26th in yards
10th in ratings... tells me, he's doing it with his legs. You don't see that? (look closer)

Brees did win a SB...it's there...and as far as I can tell, is still a top 5 QB in today's game.
Never said he wasn't dangerous... but citing a super bowl win from 8 years ago? C'mon.

I don't care what he ranks....
Well, let me know when you decide to be objective and we can discuss.

A long time ago, their teams around them were better. Brees had his best defensive team, Eli had a great defensive team.
Yup...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
26th in yards
10th in ratings... tells me, he's doing it with his legs. You don't see that? (look closer)
I did...
He's started 5 games (played in 6)....He's 3-2 as a starter....he's averaging 216 yards a game...passing....He's averaging 33 yards a game rushing. He's accounted for 15 tds and 5 int's....and for some reason...his passing ranking on here:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2017.htm
He's at 101.1....so, I didn't mean to say I don't care about your passer ranking...I just meant to say whichever ranking YOU'RE using is flawed. He's also thrown for 7.5 yards per attempt...at a 61%.

33 yards a game isn't getting it done with legs, is it?

But averaging 3 td's per start (passing) is...correct?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
26th in yards
Hes only started 5 games though, yardage can be skewed. He started 5 games where some QB have started 7 (Like Goff) He has 15 TD passes, tied for 2nd in the league!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
NFL.com is flawed? I did not know that.. tell me, how is it flawed?
hmmm
this is the rankings for QB rate or rating...which shows Watson as the 10th rated QB at 101.1
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...archive=false&conference=null&qualified=false

the other is the QB's as rated by yards....which is a flawed stat...in that Watson has only played 5 games as a starter (most have played 7), and leads the reader to believe he is in some way he's not a productive player...or rather, that 23 (or was it 26th?) other QB's are more productive....a better stat is yards per game (24th)....and for a runner like him, it should be a combination of total rushing and passing yardage....however....I usually don't look at yardage as a complete look at a rookie QB....TD's, INT's, turnovers are better indicators of production. Rookies aren't trying to churn out the numbers, they should be trying to protect the ball, while putting the team in a position to win.
So, a guy that has 15 passing TD's....is looked at...as somehow being the 26th ranked player...that to me says it's a "flawed" stat...Why?....because with 15 passing TD's, Watson is tied for 2nd in the league
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...archive=false&conference=null&qualified=false

Which is truly amazing since he as started 2 less games than the leaders and the other players he's tied with. Which shows he's really performing at an ALL PRO level....only 5 games into his career.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hmmm
this is the rankings for QB rate or rating...which shows Watson as the 10th rated QB at 101.1

the other is the QB's as rated by yards....which is a flawed stat...in that Watson has only played 5 games as a starter (most have played 7), and leads the reader to believe he is in some way he's not a productive player...or rather, that 23 (or was it 26th?) other QB's are more productive....a better stat is yards per game (24th)....and for a runner like him, it should be a combination of total rushing and passing yardage....however....I usually don't look at yardage as a complete look at a rookie QB....TD's, INT's, turnovers are better indicators of production. Rookies aren't trying to churn out the numbers, they should be trying to protect the ball, while putting the team in a position to win.
So, a guy that has 15 passing TD's....is looked at...as somehow being the 26th ranked player...that to me says it's a "flawed" stat...Why?....because with 15 passing TD's, Watson is tied for 2nd in the league

Which is truly amazing since he as started 2 less games than the leaders and the other players he's tied with. Which shows he's really performing at an ALL PRO level....only 5 games into his career.
Bottom line is... he's a rook... let's see how he holds up against the Rams pressure.