Defense needs to be ready week one

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
It seems like the past few years we have been pumped about our defense coming into the season. In 2013 they had a brutal start and we blamed it on Walton being terrible. There was merit to that. In 2014 the big promotion was sack city, well sacks didn't come early. This offense has a new line, a new QB, and a new centerpiece player. I think it's highly unreasonable to expect the offense to be able to keep up early. Yes I'm aware that the 99' Rams offense was completely redone. That being said Pace, Timmerman, Bruce, and Faulk were already elite established players at their positions. The defense will have to carry this team early while the offense adjusts and catches up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Agree.

They need to be in lock down mode.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think it was a combination of things last year. Teams made it a priority to get the ball out quickly against us, and our DBs were playing 10 yds off the opposing WRs and giving up everything underneath. Not a great strategy in my eyes...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It seems like the past few years we have been pumped about our defense coming into the season. In 2013 they had a brutal start and we blamed it on Walton being terrible. There was merit to that. In 2014 the big promotion was sack city, well sacks didn't come early. This offense has a new line, a new QB, and a new centerpiece player. I think it's highly unreasonable to expect the offense to be able to keep up early. Yes I'm aware that the 99' Rams offense was completely redone. That being said Pace, Timmerman, Bruce, and Faulk were already elite established players at their positions. The defense will have to carry this team early while the offense adjusts and catches up.
I think it was a combination of things last year. Teams made it a priority to get the ball out quickly against us, and our DBs were playing 10 yds off the opposing WRs and giving up everything underneath. Not a great strategy in my eyes...
Both of these observations are reasonable, and well founded. I couldn't agree more!
We will all be on the edge of our seats watching to see how this plays out in week#1, and after!!:D Fun Time! GO RAMS!!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Our chances at making some playoff noise go out the window if the defense has another slow start. If the Rams are really a contender the defense has to start strong. We're gonna have to rely on special teams and defense early on to give the offense shorter fields to work with.

tonyl711

Starter
IMO the slow start was because we had a new DC that threw things at them they had never seen before, heads were swimming early on i think, but about mid season it started to click and it showed. the Rams are returning all 11 starters on D plus most of the key back ups, they know the scheme now, i expect big things from them this year starting game 1.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We'll be ready week 1...Return of Williams and starters....addition of Fairley & Ayers....Health of Tru & Jenks...Barron here for 16 games....Plus,
WE ALWAYS PLAY THE DAMN SEACHICKENS TOUGH!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lots of good reasons why they started out slowly in previous years... but all of those reasons are gone now.

They simply MUST start strong. I don't think there's more than a handful on this board that believe the offense will come out of the gates on fire.

I'm fine with a 16-13 win against Seattle!

V3

Hall of Fame
Some valid points but I'd also throw out the perception that Fisher doesn't seem to get his teams ready for the start of the season. His camps are pretty easy, even by today's new CBA standards. That always seems to hurt our tackling.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
They need to run some real defense during preseason so the players are ready.Imo you can't run a vanilla defense all preseason and expect the the D to hit the ground running.They can practice and study film all day long, but nothing beats game speed and strategy in real game situations.