Defense & Leadership

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tree certainly had his issues, but his departure is going to leave a leadership void on this defense. I look around the roster and wonder who will step up to fill the void. Donald is a quiet type dude, doesn't strike me as the guy who is going to step up and lead this group. Brock seems to have come alive under this regime, maybe he's got it in him.

But in the wake of adding Peters, I have to wonder how the Rams see that leadership piece settling in. And it makes me think that might influence who they take at 23; might be a guy who has that type of leadership edge to him.

I mean for those of us who have been in leadership positions for some time, we know that while it's learned some dudes take to it easier than others. And I have to think that is an important consideration right now for the roster.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’ve thought about this, too, Merlin.

Maybe Joyner?

The thing is that there might be as many as 7 new starters on this D. Six, for sure.

Asking a lot of some rookie to come in and do it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wade is in charge, I have faith.

I have enormous faith in Wade. And I am glad the Rams are doing everything they can to make him happy. But the roster still has certain requirements to be met, particularly on the leadership side. Wade, even as good as he is, doesn't run the locker room.

Think I'm going to go back and look at some of these defensive types we've been zeroing in on, the ones projected to be available there at 23 at least, and see whether any of them stand out as leaders.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have enormous faith in Wade. And I am glad the Rams are doing everything they can to make him happy. But the roster still has certain requirements to be met, particularly on the leadership side. Wade, even as good as he is, doesn't run the locker room.

Think I'm going to go back and look at some of these defensive types we've been zeroing in on, the ones projected to be available there at 23 at least, and see whether any of them stand out as leaders.
For me it keeps coming back to LVE for this. He’s perfect for us.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Maybe Barwin comes back as a role player and leader. Or possibly Tru if he comes back.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think its pretty obvious that the defense starts with Aaron Donald, and if he's on the field, you've got the makings of a good defense.

Imperial

UDFA
Name
Imperial
Great leaders take many forms. A "rah-rah" guy that fails to do his job on the field doesn't inspire much confidence in the locker room. I'm not suggesting that Tree wasn't a good guy in the locker room, as by all accounts he was. However, the first priority of our coaching staff and Snead is to put guys on the field that "do their jobs" (I can't believe I just quoted Belicheat...sorry). Tree frequently wasn't that guy, apparent by both the stats and eye test. None of us have the good fortune of being in that locker room, and we just don't know who commands the respect of his teammates. Frankly, it's the least of my concerns. I want players who get it done on the field. If the Rams are winning, the rest usually takes care of itself.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's possible a veteran FA will step into the role, much as Whitworth did last year on the offense. We need another veteran FA (or two)anyway if 2018 isn't to be only a learning year.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Talking about leadership, when you're a leader, you lead by example. Taking bad angles, unable to disengage from blocks, poor tackling in the first half of the majority of games, and getting halftime lectures from coaching staff to implement the basics doesn't demonstrate leadership. I'm guessing Wade and McVay (now that he understands his responsibilities as a head coach with reigns on the defensive side) felt AO didn't have $10M/yr leadership qualities they expected.

I'll miss AO, I think he's a high talent player who came up with some clutch turnovers in games and is a high character guy. However, his play didn't consistently demonstrate leadership qualities such as following a defensive plan and vision. I wish AO the best with the NYG, it just didn't work out.

Hopefully Wade, Barry, McVay and Snead have very strong feelings that someone else is out there or may already be on the team that can lead by example.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

Wondering if the LB from Bama Evans has those traits? Just thinking out loud here

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
BUCKY BROOKS, NFL.COM
"When I look at Landry's game, he reminds me a lot of Von Miller during his time at Texas A&M. Now, that is a helluva comparison for a top prospect based on how the Super Bowl 50 MVP has dominated the league as a pass rusher, but Landry's first-step quickness, balance and body control are eerily similar to Miller's movement skills, including the dip-and-rip move that the Boston College star seemingly stole from the Pro Bowl pass rusher."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/02/nfl_draft_2018_harold_landry_scouting_report_might.html