Defense against the Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
The defensive game plan against the Cheifs should be somewhat simple at least IMO. the Rams have a pretty solid run stop between the tackles but rank near the bottom with runs outside the tackles. I contribute a lot of that to a slow Dunbar and a confused Ogletree paired with a ridiculous amount of blitzes clogging up the middle leaving the RB room to bounce outside. This unfortunately is where Charles is thriving, running outside the tackles. Bowe needs to be watched closely and not consitantly left to single coverage without overtop help. I want Williams to just play straight up. Many of his packages seem to make it too easy for offenses to disect glaring weakness. Assignments need to be kept simple which in turn helps fellow teammates keep track of eachothers assignments in case of a breakdown. We need a 'Help me Help you' approach with this defense. GW needs to keep the blitzes simple and know when to put pressure on Smith and when to back off. The LBs need to stay disciplined and seal the edges but they can only do what GW allows them to. Charles needs contained first and formost which will put pressure on the secondary (what else is new). McLeod needs to be kept overtop during any man on man coverage and McDonald needs to be allowed to roam free underneath and clean up Charles if he slips past the LBs. The 3rd and long defense needs to be addressed too. there is simply no reasons for allowing such gaping holes in coverage in 3rd and 15+. Just my two cents

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Alex Smith's pass attempts from last season ....

Behind The Line Of Scrimmage
22 attempts (10.8% of his total passes), 95% completed

0-9 Yards
120 attempts (59.1%), 88% completed

10-19 Yards
42 attempts (20.7%), 69% completed

20+ Yards
19 attempts (9.4%), 47% completed

Based on this, this is the game that I want Jenkins biting on that first move. I want the D Line getting their hands in the air early in their rush - the ball is coming out fast. Above all, if you think it might be a screen, its probably a screen.

Greg Williams - lets hold back on the blitzing a bit - you will be playing right into their hands.

Unfortunately, the most important part of defending the Chefs is the linebacker play. Kelce is a threat and you have to tackle Charles and Davis when you get your hands on them. Don't forget, Alex Smith can move a bit himself.

I'd challenge them to beat us deep with Bowe and Jenkins - leave JJ and Gaines (or possibly Tru?) on islands.