Deep Thoughts From Mike Martz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MrMotes

Starter
And here's some Warner on Martz:

''He was the most intelligent football coach I've ever been around,'' ex-Rams and current Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner said of Martz. ''He taught me more about the game than any other coach. He obviously helped me physically with technique, throwing the ball and being balanced. He was so valuable to my career and to where I'm at as a football player right now and what I know about the game. It was definitely a process, but he was so good, both physically and mentally in getting ready to play and helping me become the quarterback that I am.''

moklerman

Warner-phile
Lulz at he was playing better than Warner in 2000.

Warner was not only leading the league in 2000 he was exceeding the YPA record that had stood for decades and was set by Otto Graham. He was vaporizing defenses.

Your recollection of history is faulty. Very faulty.

Anyway, lets drop this. I'm tired of rehashing 99-01 and everything about it.
I just think Warner was turning it over too much that year. Whatever dropoff there was in completion percentage and YPA was more than made up for in TD/INT ratio. I agree that Warner started to really catch his rhythm the few games before he got hurt but the games to start the year and the games after got back from injury were far too turnover prone.

Ramathon

Cutler can suck it, the game didn't pass Martz by , Cutler wasn't and never will be the kind of player who won't get a coach fired , can throw a mile but can't spell it.... ....

LOL! If there was a 'phrase of the day' award around here, that would be today's winner.....hands down. :)

Ramathon

I thought Martz got TOO pass happy towards the end of his tenure with the Bears. Didn't Lovie have to pretty much insist Martz start running the ball more often.(?)

He was great as the Rams' 'Mad Scientist', and if he could be counted on to lean more towards the 'scientist' and less of the 'mad', I'd take him back as an OC any day.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I thought Martz got TOO pass happy towards the end of his tenure with the Bears. Didn't Lovie have to pretty much insist Martz start running the ball more often.(?)

He was great as the Rams' 'Mad Scientist', and if he could be counted on to lean more towards the 'scientist' and less of the 'mad', I'd take him back as an OC any day.
They were saying the same thing on the radio today. Not about Martz but all these years later, they're still complaining that Forte isn't getting the ball enough and they aren't scoring enough points.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
They were saying the same thing on the radio today. Not about Martz but all these years later, they're still complaining that Forte isn't getting the ball enough and they aren't scoring enough points.

Ybit the Bears about the time I fell asleep last night had 10 yards on 10 rushing attempts against the Cowboys ,I get that it's NOT just YPC that makes the run an effective strategy it shortens the game even when you get thrown for a loss, but ya gotta average more than a yard a carry, I'm a fan of Forte , see him as a lot like Jamal Charles but one friggin yard per carry and being behind by three scores aint gonna get it. I sort of think if the Bears defense is their Achilles heal and Trestman would like to run the ball more but is caught in between a rock and a hard place.

Martz would run the ball we ran it down the Eagles throat in the second half of the NFC Championship, the now infamous "finesse that" exclamation by Martz that turned the east coast press against MM was in reference to what was probably Trung 's career day against the J E T S,jets jets jets . IMO and I'm too lazy to look it up so I'm just spitballin here , but the average pass attempts today is probably close to what our's back then in a time when defenses were more built to stop the run

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Some thoughts on Mike Martz:

1. He seems to have no interest in being a TV analyst or a consultant.

" He worked as an analyst for Fox for a year but found the work impersonal and the workplace fractured by politics."
"being the experienced voice that chimes in with advice doesn’t appeal to Martz. "

2. The fire to coach again and be successful is still there but he wants to be totally in charge, which imo would be the sticking point for most owners.

"The idea of getting back into coaching is enticing."
"Eventually, he’d want to run the show."
“I think about going back all the time,” he says. “But you can’t just kind of go back. You’ve got to go back and do it right.”

3. He wants to coach a team with a traditional drop-back QB.

"For him, that would mean going to a team that values innovation around a traditional dropback quarterback."

The more times I read this article and think about what this man could bring to the table as an OC, the more I wish he and Fisher could work something out. Martz is most likely financially independent and doesn't have to work any longer, so he doesn't have to take an OC job but it would be surprising if an NFL owner offered him a head coach position any time soon. Would love to get him over here for a Q&A.

MrMotes

Starter

" He worked as an analyst for Fox for a year but found the work impersonal and the workplace fractured by politics."
"being the experienced voice that chimes in with advice doesn’t appeal to Martz. "

2. The fire to coach again and be successful is still there but he wants to be totally in charge, which imo would be the sticking point for most owners.

“I think about going back all the time,” he says. “But you can’t just kind of go back. You’ve got to go back and do it right.”

"For him, that would mean going to a team that values innovation around a traditional dropback quarterback."

The more times I read this article and think about what this man could bring to the table as an OC, the more I wish he and Fisher could work something out. Martz is most likely financially independent and doesn't have to work any longer, so he doesn't have to take an OC job but it would be surprising if an NFL owner offered him a head coach position any time soon. Would love to get him over here for a Q&A.

This is why i think if Gase gets a HC gig Martz could be part of it. Gase considers Martz a mentor and shares the same philosophy of offense, could be a good fit where nobody feels like they're compromising...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And here's some Warner on Martz:

''He was the most intelligent football coach I've ever been around,'' ex-Rams and current Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner said of Martz. ''He taught me more about the game than any other coach. He obviously helped me physically with technique, throwing the ball and being balanced. He was so valuable to my career and to where I'm at as a football player right now and what I know about the game. It was definitely a process, but he was so good, both physically and mentally in getting ready to play and helping me become the quarterback that I am.''
Too bad you can only "like" something once, becasue that quote deserve a whole bunch of them....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is why i think if Gase gets a HC gig Martz could be part of it. Gase considers Martz a mentor and shares the same philosophy of offense, could be a good fit where nobody feels like they're compromising...

Good point. He seems to think highly of Gase who was his QB coach for one season while with the Lions.

"Adam knows the defense’s rules. All the little details work out really well. Very few people do this.

They’ve got good players, and he knows what to do with them. He puts guys in position to have success. It would be easy to do the same stuff over and over, but each week he’s going to create.”

I wonder though how Gase would do if he didn't have a Hall of Fame QB running the offense? We might find out next season.

MrMotes

Starter
Good point. He seems to think highly of Gase who was his QB coach for one season while with the Lions.

"Adam knows the defense’s rules. All the little details work out really well. Very few people do this.

They’ve got good players, and he knows what to do with them. He puts guys in position to have success. It would be easy to do the same stuff over and over, but each week he’s going to create.”

I wonder though how Gase would do if he didn't have a Hall of Fame QB running the offense? We might find out next season.

It sure seems like Manning is the defacto OC in Denver but everyone says Gase is a HC waiting to happen. Will be interesting to see how he does if and when he gets a gig, especially if Martz is involved...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Here's a potential opening for Martz next season. Maybe Lovie will hire him again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/05/buccaneers-jeff-tedford-part-ways/

Buccaneers, Jeff Tedford part ways
Posted by Mike Wilkening on December 5, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwyyztm0zgi2ndmzzmvjnji4nzdiytq1zmu5mtk1mgmx-e1417807966494.jpeg
AP

The Buccaneers have mutually parted ways with offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford, the club announced Friday afternoon.

The 53-year-old Tedford has been on an indefinite leave of absence since late September. He had a heart procedure before the season.

“Throughout these difficult circumstances, our primary concern was for Jeff’s health and well-being. After speaking with Jeff in recent days, it became obvious that a mutual decision to release him from his contract was the best way forward,” Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith said in a team-issued statement. “We wish Jeff continued success in the next phase of his career.”

Buccaneers QBs coach Marcus Arroyo has run the offense in Tedford’s absence

“The Buccaneers have been very accommodating to me and my family during this time and, while they left the door open for a possible return, I feel that coming back at this point would disrupt the trust and continuity that builds throughout the season in offensive meeting rooms and on the sidelines,” Tedford said in a statement from the club. “. . . I simply could not, in good conscience, become more of an obstacle to Lovie, to Marcus, the offensive staff and the whole organization — after all they have done for me. You just can’t go backwards. I can see that they are so close to turning the corner and I don’t want to hinder that progress.”

Tedford indicated he intends to “pursue other opportunities.” He was head coach at Cal from 2002 through 2012, garnering accolades for his work with quarterbacks, most notably Aaron Rodgers.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

He found TV work fractured by politics? Damn, this guy can't catch a break.

Also, I'm a big Martz fan, but he should NOT be totally in charge as in making personnel decisions. Pair him with a good GM and I think he goes places.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm not on Twitter. Maybe one of you that is can give MM our site url and ask him to stop by for a Q&A.
https://twitter.com/coach_martz

Tell him we've already done Q&A's with Jack Youngblood, Kevin Demoff, Joe Barksdale, and Johnny Hekker. Otherwise he might think we're just annoying amateurs. :)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not on Twitter. Maybe one of you that is can give MM our site url and ask him to stop by for a Q&A.
https://twitter.com/coach_martz

Tell him we've already done Q&A's with Jack Youngblood, Kevin Demoff, Joe Barksdale, and Johnny Hekker. Otherwise he might think we're just annoying amateurs. :)
Doesn't look like he's been on there for a couple of years.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He found TV work fractured by politics? Damn, this guy can't catch a break.

Also, I'm a big Martz fan, but he should NOT be totally in charge as in making personnel decisions. Pair him with a good GM and I think he goes places.

Agree on personnel matters.

He's a great tactician... bad talent evaluator.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Doesn't look like he's been on there for a couple of years.

Dumbass that I am didn't notice that. Did a google search and couldn't find any other contact information on him.

MrMotes

Starter
Here's a potential opening for Martz next season. Maybe Lovie will hire him again.

Martz says he resigned from Chicago due to philosophical differences. So unless he or Lovie have changed philosophies, seems unlikely. Then again, if the philosophical difference was whether or not the QB should have more power than the HC and OC, then maybe it could work...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Dumbass that I am didn't notice that. Did a google search and couldn't find any other contact information on him.

You could probably ask Demoff I bet he has his email, or maybe send DV an email through his website asking for him and/or Martz to do a QnA.

They likely both have representation that would be easy to find to. But your a lazy dumbass I bet.........and crooks are glad you're not a cop.

If you have Google you know everything.

Martz on LinkedIn

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mike-martz/84/682/719

DV's Speakers Bureau profile

http://www.allamericanspeakers.com/speakerbio/Dick_Vermeil.php