Deep pool of defensive backs awaits Chargers, Rams in NFL draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Deep pool of defensive backs awaits Chargers, Rams in NFL draft

AR-170429753.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Michigan's Jabrill Peppers (5) breaks a tackle by Iowa's Desmond King, rear, during the first half of an NCAA college football game, in Iowa City, Iowa. Peppers was a Heisman Trophy finalist and projected to be a first-round pick in April. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall, File)
By Rich Hammond, rhammond@scng.com, @Rich_Hammond on Twitter

POSTED: 04/23/17, 8:36 PM PDT | UPDATED: 5 HRS AGO

An NFL team in search of immediate secondary help through this week’s NFL draft will find good news in the first round. And the second round. Third and fourth rounds, also.

Suffice to say, it’s a good year for cornerbacks and safeties - particularly those from Ohio State - and a good chance for both the Chargers and Rams to fill some holes.

If most draft pundits are corrected, the Chargers will have their fingers crossed until it’s their turn to pick at No. 7 on Thursday. It seems natural that the Chargers would grab one of two safeties - Ohio State’s Malik Hooker or LSU’s Jamal Adams - if either is available.

That’s no sure bet. It wouldn’t be shocking to see both safeties go among the first six picks. Adams is a physical beast and Hooker is a great overall talent who got some good news last week. Doctors said Adams’ previously torn hip labrum was recovering as expected.

Hooker and Adams won’t be on the board long, and up to eight other defensive backs are thought, by draft analysts, to have the potential to go in the first round, or perhaps early in the second round.

Other top safeties include Jabrill Peppers (Michigan) and Obi Melifonwu (Connecticut). The top of the cornerback class includes two more Ohio State players, Marshon Lattimore and Gareon Conley, plus Kevin King (Washington), Marlon Humphrey (Alabama), Adoree’ Jackson (USC) and Tre’Davious White (LSU).

It’s not unreasonable to think that an NFL team could wait until the fourth round and still get a quality defensive, and that’s part of the dilemma for the Rams, who first pick in the second round at No. 37.

The Rams are fairly set at cornerback, with Trumaine Johnson, E.J. Gaines, Kayvon Webster and Nickell Robey-Coleman, although there have been strong reports that the Rams might trade Johnson during this offseason if they can’t sign him to a contract extension.

Things are less firm at safety, where T.J. McDonald departed last month. The Rams return Maurice Alexander, who likely will move from free safety to strong safety, and are expected to ask LaMarcus Joyner to move from cornerback to free safety. Beyond that, there’s not much depth.

So the question for the Rams is, do they use that No. 37 pick on a cornerback such as Florida’s Quincy Wilson, or a safety such as Melifonwu, or do they bet - probably accurately - that they can wait a round or two and still land a quality defensive back?

It also will be interesting to see where the Chargers go should both Hooker and Adams be on the board at No. 7. Hooker is a free safety, while Adams is more versatile. No matter what, every team with a first-round pick will have a chance at a quality defensive back.

MALIK HOOKER, S, OHIO STATE >> A former high school basketball star, Hooker clearly is ready for the NFL even after only one season as a full-time starter. He was a first-team All-America pick in 2016 and tied for second in the country with seven INT. Hooker has only average speed but he’s an excellent decision-maker who still, because of his youth, has a lot of room to grow and improve.

EP-170429753.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Ohio State safety Malik Hooker escaping the grasp of Indiana running back Devonte Williams after intercepting a pass during the second half of an NCAA college football game in Columbus, Ohio. (AP Photo/Jay LaPrete, File)

JAMAL ADAMS, S, LSU>> Adams seems to be, by far, the defensive-back prospect most ready to “plug and play” from day one in the NFL. He has a pedigree -- his father, George, won the Super Bowl with the New York Giants in 1986 -- and Adams is a tremendously hard hitter and was known as a leader at LSU. He can play both safety positions but still can improve in coverage.

MARSHON LATTIMORE, CB, OHIO STATE>> Lattimore already is a top prospect, and there’s still a high ceiling because of his relative lack of experience. Severe hamstring problems kept Lattimore off the field in 2014 and half of 2015, but he was a star last season. Lattimore is tremendously athletic and speedy and can catch up with receivers on the rare instance when he gets beat.

GAREON CONLEY, CB, OHIO STATE>> Conley perhaps doesn’t have the raw skill of his college teammate, but he has good speed and ball skills. Conley is strong at the line of scrimmage and allowed only a 37-percent completion percentage on passes thrown his way last season.

http://www.dailynews.com/events/201...l-draft?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm starting to think they can wait if they do go defense I want a CB. Safety we can get in rounds 5-7 that will actually be pretty good with a year to train and learn. I'm definitely leaning more offense with the first two picks though

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We won't have a shot at any of those players listed.

And...I want a couple of good players in the secondary....I hope the scouts have found one...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm thinking they will reach a bit for an offensive player at 37. Won't be the top guy on the board, but they have to get pieces around Goff and there's more dropoff with the offensive positions.

Wade and that staff will get a talent for the secondary they can coach up. Maybe even a LB or DE. I'd say they'll trade down almost for sure, however everyone will be looking to trade down in this draft so who knows.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree there are a lot of good CB's in this years Draft, But Not that many FS's/SS's in my book!!
By My count there are probably about 25-30 real good CB prospects in this Class! While there are probably only about 10 FS's and 10 SS's!
And it is entirely possible that ALL of these players could be GONE after Day two of the Draft! JMHO