Deal in Place to Trade Jason Smith

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Speeps said:
There is a tweet out there from the famous Rams blog Turfshowtimes that is really annoying.

"Turfshowtimes really have to wonder about Bradford's future in St. Louis now. Could the new admin have been thinking about a new QB all along?"

So this trade suggests that Rams have given up on Sam Bradford? Idiocy at it's finest.

Like everything else, I'm not rushing to judgment. Wayne Hunter is a cheaper Jason Smith from what I'm reading. By the way, Hunter knows the system. Smith didn't.
Whaaaaat?

That doesn't even make sense. Since they traded Smith, who was in the doghouse, that means they're thinking about shipping off Bradford too? Derp. If that was the case, they would have drafted one.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Speeps said:
There is a tweet out there from the famous Rams blog Turfshowtimes that is really annoying.

"Turfshowtimes really have to wonder about Bradford's future in St. Louis now. Could the new admin have been thinking about a new QB all along?"

So this trade suggests that Rams have given up on Sam Bradford? Idiocy at it's finest.

Like everything else, I'm not rushing to judgment. Wayne Hunter is a cheaper Jason Smith from what I'm reading. By the way, Hunter knows the system. Smith didn't.
Whaaaaat?

That doesn't even make sense. Since they traded Smith, who was in the doghouse, that means they're thinking about shipping off Bradford too? Derp. If that was the case, they would have drafted one.
They traded Smith to try to save Sam's life!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There better be a draft pick coming our way. I'd still take Smith over Wayne fucking Hunter. At least Smith has flashed talent at times.

Please let Harvey Dahl start at right tackle. Please. Just not Hunter or Richardson.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Wayne Hunter is the laughing stock in NYC he was on the front page on NYC local news papers no joke Adam Shein brought it up on radio

Speeps

Starter
X said:
Speeps said:

Whaaaaat?

I called him out on his tweet via twitter, he basically apologized and said it was an overreaction. All is forgiven. :)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BuiltRamTough said:
Wayne Hunter is the laughing stock in NYC he was on the front page on NYC local news papers no joke Adam Shein brought it up on radio
[rp3]http://ramsondemand.com/songs/hunter.mp3[/rp3]

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Maybe I'm in the minority re: Jason Smith being a horrendous pick esp under Devanney's first draft and control...I also clearly remember issues more prominent related to Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe at the time. It's our ultimate punishment for selecting at #2 overall in consecutive years. A year later we "missed" on Trent Williams and Russell Okung but that's neither here or there now.

Just saying we knew J-Smooth had the highest (potential) ceiling at the time and no one saw Michael Oher going top 5 or 10.

You can't Combine future concussions...Lions are hurting too w/ Best who was a huge part to their offense. He may never be cleared to suit up again and he had similar attachments to concussions at Cal.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well that leaves 3 guys from the 2009 draft. :huh:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Jets, Rams working on Wayne Hunter-Jason Smith deal

By Dan Hanzus
Published: Aug. 27, 2012 at 08:35 p.m. Updated: Aug. 27, 2012 at 09:01 p.m
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...erjason-smith-deal?module=HP11_headline_stack

The New York Jets are putting the final touches on a trade for St. Louis Rams tackle Jason Smith on Monday, a source with direct knowledge of the talks told NFL.com and NFL Network's Albert Breer.

The much-maligned Wayne Hunter will be sent to the Rams to complete the deal.

Smith was the No. 2 overall pick out in the 2009 NFL Draft, but the Baylor All-American never lived up to his potential with the Rams. He was envisioned to be the team's left tackle for a decade, but concussion issues and subpar play on the right side defined his three sesons. He recently lost his starting job to Barry Richardson.

This marks the second time this summer the Jets roll the dice on a disappointing former first-round draft pick. The team acquired right tackle Jeff Otah from the Carolina Panthers in July, but the trade was voided when Otah couldn't pass a physical.

After a nightmare performance against the New York Giants, Hunter lost his starting right tackle job to Austin Howard, who thrived against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday night. It was an encouraging performance for Howard, but the Jets still felt the need to improve the weakest link on their line.

[hil]Smith -- who took a huge paycut this spring -- is guaranteed $4 million this season, $1.55 million more than Hunter. Smith is due a whopping $12 million next season, but ATL's Bryan McIntyre reports that contract voids five days before the start of the 2013 league year if he plays 31 percent of his team's snaps.[/hil]

Smith was a huge disappointment for the Rams, and the Jets' willingness to bring him shows just how vulnerable they feel at right tackle. Wayne Hunter, meanwhile, likely feels like a kid on Christmas.

All I can say is I am shocked. :shock: IMO, after watching his last two games against the Giants and Panthers, he's about as soft as the Charmin he uses to wipe his butt.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Per Pro Football Focus:

I mentioned earlier that the offensive line for Gang Green had a glaring weakness and it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out what that is. After having one of the best right tackles in the league (if not the best) in Damien Woody, the Jets replaced him with Wayne Hunter. Naturally, there was always going to be some drop off, but the situation that developed couldn’t have been much worse, with Hunter picking up the fifth-lowest grade (-31.1) of all offensive tackles.

When you have a quarterback who struggles when pressured you’re not going to get very far when your right tackle is giving up 54 combined sacks, hits, and hurries.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... york-jets/

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Blazer on twitter

Rams get good swing tackle for Jason Smith in Wayne Hunter, who also is excellent as Jumbo tight end in those packages.

:what:

Maybe they are really thinking about a tag team duo. :|

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
We basically freed up a little money, and Hunter doesnt have a bad concussion history. I really did not expect the RT situation to turn into this tho. KC might as well have had a parade when they cut Richardson and Hunter was one of the most criticized OL in the NFL.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Username said:
Blazer on twitter

Rams get good swing tackle for Jason Smith in Wayne Hunter, who also is excellent as Jumbo tight end in those packages.

:what:

Maybe they are really thinking about a tag team duo. :|

And now he's MAD

Maybe people can't read: A swing tackle is a backup. And Hunter has been good in Jumbo packages.
:cheese:

Speeps

Starter
Best comment ever:

"in madden nfl 13 smith is better then hunter by one overall hunter is 74 and smith is 75 so i hope jets get smith "

Unbelievable.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I watched the Jets last night against the Panthers... Hunter played like shit. My thoughts at the time were something like , I see we're not the only team with major problems at OT.

Looks to me like we traded one turd for another. Hopefully the saved dinero helps the team somehow,,, because I certainly don't see an upgrade in talent with this move.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
At least the Rams are now acknowledging there's a problem at RT. Saving some $ in the process for a player on the cutting block prob. anyway.

Speeps said:
Best comment ever:

"in madden nfl 13 smith is better then hunter by one overall hunter is 74 and smith is 75 so i hope jets get smith "

Unbelievable.

I wonder what Les Sneads hair would be ranked in Madden?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Speeps said:
Best comment ever:

Unbelievable.

Madden 13 also says Luck will be a top 10 QB with 4,170 yards 32 TD's and 20 INT.

Translation: Madden sucks.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Username said:
At least the Rams are now acknowledging there's a problem at RT. Saving some $ in the process for a player on the cutting block prob. anyway.

Speeps said:
Best comment ever:

Unbelievable.

I wonder what Les Sneads hair would be ranked in Madden?
Probally a 100...you can follow his hair on twitter @lessneadhair

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost ... stcount=35

Can't post all the text because on my phone. Don't really like reading this post though. Edit: Thx for the copy pasta :)
[textarea]PFF Grade Comparison:
2011:
Hunter:
Pass Block: Ranked 73 out of 76 tackles, graded -20.6
Run Block: Ranked 58 out of 76 tackles, graded -6.4

Smith (6 games):
Pass Block: Ranked 42 out of 76 tackles, graded -3.2
Run Block: Ranked 34 out of 76 tackles, graded -1.5

So even at the current level Smith seems to be a better player. He probably has room to develop at 26 years old - Hunter only has room to degrade at 31.[/textarea]

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
^^^^

Its very hard to compare them from last season because Smith didnt even play half the season. They both were bad, and I dont see either of them starting this upcoming season.