Deal in Place to Trade Jason Smith

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/502/wayne-hunter

The Jets have removed Wayne Hunter as their starting right tackle.
Finally. Hunter was among the league's worst starting tackles last season, giving up 8.5 sacks and getting tagged for 11 penalties. He followed that up with a woeful 2012 preseason. Hunter is owed $2.45 million guaranteed this season, meaning his new role as a jumbo swing tackle is safe. New right tackle Austin Howard is no superstar, but he can't possibly be worse than Hunter. Aug 23 - 11:19 AM

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
Well. Fresh start.

You know anything about Wayne Hunter Dr?

All I know is what I have heard on ESPN. Basically that he has been brutal this preseason and played poorly last year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

if it's a straight swap the rams received less than nothing for smith.

i'm starting to get worried now.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/502/wayne-hunter

Tue, Jul 26, 2011 06:47:00 PM
Jets agreed to terms with OT Wayne Hunter on a four-year, $13 million contract.
Coach Rex Ryan called Hunter the best backup tackle in the league late last season, so the Jets clearly value him as an insurance policy. Hunter figures to slot in as the swing tackle again this year. The 30-year-old also doubles as a blocking tight end in "jumbo" offensive formations.

Maybe they can put him and Richardson together every snap, and we might have something.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
Well. Fresh start.

All I know is what I have heard on ESPN. Basically that he has been brutal this preseason and played poorly last year.
Yeah, I just watched him play. He plays like Jason Smith, but this will be a fresh start for him too. Maybe he makes the roster maybe he doesn't, but we have to try something. It may not be the only move in that regard.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I certainly hope there's more to it than just a straight up swap.
It did say *part of the deal* though, so I hope there's at least a draft pick involved.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
libertadrocks said:
Via Mort
Filed to ESPN: #Jets close to finalizing deal for Rams RT Jason Smith, league sources. RT Wayne Hunter part of deal. Smith, No. 2 pick '09.

What a waste of a #2, good bye, so long, don't let the door hit you on the way out! :sick:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
Well. Fresh start.

Yeah, I just watched him play. He plays like Jason Smith, but this will be a fresh start for him too. Maybe he makes the roster maybe he doesn't, but we have to try something. It may not be the only move in that regard.

Like moving Dahl outside and promoting Turner to guard? This is not the answer. At all. I guess I kinda agree though. They're at least doing something. I guess?

I guarantee there's going to be a fuck load of penalties coming from the right side to this year too. :nono:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
classicpony said:
libertadrocks said:
Via Mort
Filed to ESPN: #Jets close to finalizing deal for Rams RT Jason Smith, league sources. RT Wayne Hunter part of deal. Smith, No. 2 pick '09.

What a waste of a #2, good bye, so long, don't let the door hit you on the way out! :sick:

it's not his fault he was picked at #2. no wonder devaney is out of a job and can't get another one. picking a project at #2 with the amount of money you had to pay for it back then does that to you.

disclaimer - i know there are no sure things in a draft but everyone knew smith was a project during the draft process. #2 is not the place for a project player.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Little extra commentary:

Evan Silva:
Jason Smith trade is humorous. #Jets are gonna need to get a GM who knows something about football. No chance he's actually seen Smith play.

Both Hunter & Smith's salaries are guaranteed. $4M for Smith. $2.45M for Hunter. So #Rams save $1.55M in trade. Deal makes sense for STL.

PFT:
A pair of disappointing offensive tackles are switching teams.

The Jets and Rams are in the last stages of finalizing a trade that will send Wayne Hunter, the Jets’ recently benched right tackle, to St. Louis in exchange for Jason Smith, the Rams’ 2009 draft bust. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported that the deal was officially finished on Monday night.

Hunter has taken a great deal of criticism in New York over the last two years, and after a disastrous outing in the Jets’ preseason loss to the Giants, he was finally benched. The Jets’ coaching staff and front office claimed they were enthusiastic about Hunter’s ability to help the Jets as a backup, but apparently they weren’t enthusiastic enough to keep him on the roster.

Smith was the second overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft and has started 26 games in three years but generally been ineffective, and has had problems with concussions.

Now Smith and Hunter will both get a fresh start in new surroundings.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
Well. Fresh start.

[hil]Like moving Dahl outside and promoting Turner to guard?[/hil] This is not the answer. At all. I guess I kinda agree though. They're at least doing something. I guess?

I guarantee there's going to be a fuck load of penalties coming from the right side to this year too. :nono:
Well, I've been an advocate of that move from the get go. Smith couldn't beat out Richardson. I don't expect a draft pick, what value is there for Smith?

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's interesting. I guess that Richardson is going to start on the right side then? Unless we move Dahl over? Either way we have to address OT either in the draft or FA next year. I'm not sure who will be coming out (or how good they are) or who will be hitting the open market.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
DR RAM said:
Username said:
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
Well. Fresh start.

[hil]Like moving Dahl outside and promoting Turner to guard?[/hil] This is not the answer. At all. I guess I kinda agree though. They're at least doing something. I guess?

Well, I've been an advocate of that move from the get go. Smith couldn't beat out Richardson. I don't expect a draft pick, what value is there for Smith?

Well you need to be the offensive line coach gawd dammit! :cheese: I like that we save the extra 1+ million. No value, but getting a 6 rounder might've been a better deal than this guy. I'm not sold that Smith is any worse than him or Richardson for that matter. Guess we'll see.

Speeps

Starter
There is a tweet out there from the famous Rams blog Turfshowtimes that is really annoying.

"Turfshowtimes really have to wonder about Bradford's future in St. Louis now. Could the new admin have been thinking about a new QB all along?"

So this trade suggests that Rams have given up on Sam Bradford? Idiocy at it's finest.

Like everything else, I'm not rushing to judgment. Wayne Hunter is a cheaper Jason Smith from what I'm reading. By the way, Hunter knows the system. Smith didn't.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
That's interesting. I guess that Richardson is going to start on the right side then? Unless we move Dahl over? Either way we have to address OT either in the draft or FA next year. I'm not sure who will be coming out (or how good they are) or who will be hitting the open market.
I was in a huge discussion at the PD, a couple of weeks ago, and my argument was that there is no way that the Rams will keep 2 RT only players. People thought I was crazy. The majority also thought that J. Smith should be the starter. Richardson, as bad as he is, has outplayed him. Hunter may not be playing well, but at least he's a swing tackle. I think the Rams plan was for Moose to be that guy, but Moose hasn't played well at tackle when he goes in there.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Omfggggggg noooooooo hunter is fuking horrible we have to atleast get a draft pick in the trade dude seriously Wayne's a joke