Deal in Place: Revis heads to Bucs for Physical

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2013/04/21/jets-revis-trade-buccaneers-physical/2100839/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... l/2100839/</a>

Darrelle Revis' surgeon liked what he saw in Revis' knee when he examined him last week. Same with the New York Jets' medical staff.

Now, it's the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' turn.

And, with the parameters of a deal between the two teams in place, the Bucs' opinion on Revis' knee is the most important.

Revis is on his way to Tampa Sunday morning for a physical with the Buccaneers, according to a person informed of the trip. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because both sides had hoped to keep the flight quiet.

Right. Just like the trade talks.

Revis is traveling to Tampa because the teams have reached an agreement on compensation, with the Bucs' giving up their first-round pick (No. 13 overall) and more, perhaps the Bucs' third-round pick this year as well.

With the worst-kept secret in NFL history dragging on for weeks, the NFL apparently bet on a trade: It scheduled the Jets to host the Buccaneers in Week 1, clearly with an eye toward Revis' making his return to MetLife Stadium to play his first regular-season game against the Jets.

The league is on the verge of getting its wish, and the lead-up to that game will begin as soon as the ink is dry on Revis' new contract.

Tampa wanted to see if Revis' left ACL, which he tore last September, was healthy well ahead of their being on the clock on Thursday. Revis was cleared by surgeon Russ Warren last week to begin running with no restrictions. Jets general manager John Idzik said a few days later the team is "pleased" with what it has seen so far from Revis.

The Buccaneers, who traded away cornerback Aqib Talib to the New England Patriots last year, have made the decision to pursue Revis sight unseen. It's difficult to imagine at this point their doctors and trainers would see something different than the Jets' staff or Warren.

In other words, this deal figures to be completed Sunday or Monday, with the Jets getting a couple of days to figure out how to spend Tampa's first pick along with their selection at No. 9 overall.

So much for not "actively" shopping Revis, as Rex Ryan had claimed. Ryan now faces a huge season for his future with the Jets and is about to lose the best cornerback in the NFL when healthy. The move also won't bode well for owner Woody Johnson's approval rating with his fan base, though it's obviously being made with the long-term interests of the team in mind, not just the 2013 season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This shakes up the draft board a little.

They need a pash rusher and weapons for the QB. I think Austin goes to NY.

A55VA6

Legend
CGI_Ram said:

Agreed..

iced

CGI_Ram said:

Possibly but they're also banking on Holmes returning. But even more importantly, Sanchez needs protection...or the Jets may go QB.

New GM - no idea.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jets go Pass rusher then Tackle or Guard.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
iced said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Jets go Pass rusher then Tackle or Guard.

This makes sense too!

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
A55VA6 said:
CGI_Ram said:

Agreed..

Me too.

I have heard the Jets may consider taking Geno Smith and Tavon Austin

There have also been report that Rex Ryan is "smitten" with Barkevious Mingo