DE Jared Allen retires

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/18/jared-allen-rides-off-absent-sunset/

Jared Allen rides off, absent sunset
Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2016

350x-226-e1455810540441.jpg
AP

The Sheriff may or may not be riding off into the sunset. The Calf Roper is.

Absent the sunset.

In a video posted at his Twitter page, veteran NFL defensive end Jared Allen announced his retirement. On horseback.

“I just want to say thank you for an amazing 12-year career,” Allen said. “This was the part where I was gonna ride off into the sunset. But seeing how there’s no sunset, I’m just gonna ride off.”

And then he rode off.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-CZI2b-Bzk

Allen, who celebrates tackling quarterbacks behind the line of scrimmage by pretending to rope a calf, exits with 136 career sacks and one Super Bowl appearance. In 2011, Allen notched 22.0 sacks for a then-hapless Vikings team. He had 15.5 in 2007, his final season with the Chiefs. Allen then racked up 14.5 sacks in each of his first two years with the Vikings, who acquired him for a first-round and third-round pick in 2008.

jaredallenblood-e1455811544442.jpg
AP

A wild child early in his career, a pair of DUIs triggered a two-game suspension of Allen in 2007. Allen thereafter turned his life around, maintaining his loose, fun-loving ways without the alcohol. More recently, Allen has become a major proponent of providing modified and upgraded housing for American soldiers injured in battle.

We’ve already made a request to get him back on PFT Live, especially since Allen provided one of the best moments in show history when he explained in November 2011 why he punched former teammate Ray Edwards “square in the wiener” during a game between Minnesota and Atlanta.

In all, Allen spent four years with the Chiefs and six with the Vikings. He signed with the Bears in 2014, who traded him to Carolina early last year after switching to a 3-4 defense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Allen has been an Outstanding NFL DE! I have always loved to watch him play.

If Chris Long wants to play for a winning team in the twilight of his career .....who is still just beginning their rise as an upward trending power team ....here a great spot to land.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I got to see Jared Allen play many a game in Kansas City, always a fan favorite with his demeanor, work ethic and motor. Hated seeing him traded to the Vikings when he got crosswise with Carl Peterson.

Fun fact that has faded with time, he was drafted in the 4th round by the Chiefs more for his long snapping abilities that his defensive end prowess.

Wish him the best in his post-NFL life.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Allen has been an Outstanding NFL DE! I have always loved to watch him play.

If Chris Long wants to play for a winning team in the twilight of his career .....who is still just beginning their rise as an upward trending power team ....here a great spot to land.

Sorry Bonifay. But I never understood this thinking. Run off to a winning team. What, like Steven Jackson?

No offense, but are you a closet Panther fan or do you think we are really that far off? There are no year to year guarantees of ascension or decension.

If Chris wants to go out a winner he needs to:
  • Renegotiate his contract to around 2 year $5 million/year with the Rams.
  • Commit to a speed training hard core workout to maximize his remaining quickness. I think he may still have something after struggling with injuries the last two years.
  • Work into a rotation 40-60% with newly signed William Hayes.
  • Reap the benefits of our back to back Super Bowls before retiring a Ram!
I kind of get what you are saying Bonifay. The Panthers certainly seem more set at the most important position. But there are no guarantees "the brooder" won't regress this year.

Bold prediction: the Rams finish better than the Panthers this year. Last year was a perfect storm for them. Oh, and we will finish ahead of Jacksons "World Champion" Falcons, too. Go Rams!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No offense, but are you a closet Panther fan or do you think we are really that far off? There are no year to year guarantees of ascension or decension.
Its well known I have a serious dislike for the Panthers. Its very hard for me to watch them play period. Yes I do think the Rams are really that far off.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Its well known I have a serious dislike for the Panthers. Its very hard for me to watch them play period. Yes I do think the Rams are really that far off.

It's possible I'm just a blind homer. I guess there is a fine line between optimism and fanaticism. (y)

Ram65

Legend
Jared Allen was very good. Not a division rival so yes I liked watching him. He always seemed to play hard from start to finish. Good luck in retirement.