De-Extinction

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Check out this article. You'll have to hit the link to see the slideshow.

De-Extinction? I don't know how I feel about that.

The article:

It's called "de-extinction," the act of bringing an extinct animal back to life by reassembling its genome and injecting it into embryonic cells. After that, it's the simple matter of finding a surrogate. Last week, scientists met to discuss which animals should be up for consideration. We've highlighted 17 of their 24 final choices.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxnews.com/science/slideshow/2013/03/27/animals-bring-back-from-extinction/#slide=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foxnews.com/science/slidesho ... n/#slide=1</a>

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Maybe we could bring back some of these.

tumblr_mfnvw70PYD1rmt3sfo1_400.jpg

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
If they are extinct because we made them extinct then we should endeavour to bring them back, however if it was just natural selection, fuck em.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
ScotsRam said:
If they are extinct because we made them extinct then we should endeavour to bring them back, however if it was just natural selection, freak em.
There was another thread on this about a week back. I agree with the idea, if humans caused it, fix it. But are they going to repopulated the species, or just create an Adam and Eve to show off? And if they are going to reintroduce them to an ecosphere, where will they put them? The old stomping grounds probably aren't available.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Ram Quixote said:
ScotsRam said:
If they are extinct because we made them extinct then we should endeavour to bring them back, however if it was just natural selection, freak em.
There was another thread on this about a week back. I agree with the idea, if humans caused it, fix it. But are they going to repopulated the species, or just create an Adam and Eve to show off? And if they are going to reintroduce them to an ecosphere, where will they put them? The old stomping grounds probably aren't available.

It's an interesting question. It would, in the vast majority of cases, involve creating not just the species but the entire habitat that we destroyed leading to their extinction in the first place. If we reintroduce them, what is to say that some other species won't be adversely affected?

There's a pretty strong argument that suggests that we should "cut our losses" if you will- save what can still be saved and change our practices so we don't endanger any more species. That's a pretty cold-blooded approach, but there are hundreds of stories of non-native species being introduced to new environments and causing utter chaos with the ecosystem already there.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
ScotsRam said:
Ram Quixote said:
ScotsRam said:

It's an interesting question. It would, in the vast majority of cases, involve creating not just the species but the entire habitat that we destroyed leading to their extinction in the first place. If we reintroduce them, what is to say that some other species won't be adversely affected?

There's a pretty strong argument that suggests that we should "cut our losses" if you will- save what can still be saved and change our practices so we don't endanger any more species. That's a pretty cold-blooded approach, but there are hundreds of stories of non-native species being introduced to new environments and causing utter chaos with the ecosystem already there.

Agreed.

I don't think ppl realize how much invasive species can cause problems. Then again, that's been happening since the 1st ppl that came to the New World. I think a lot of times ppl tend to place humans outside nature when in reality they are. We just have the ability to think and solve problems (or cause them).