Day Three Choices

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Today I hope to see Murray and some how try and get Craig Losten for the S position. Then finish out with OL, CB, WR and LB depth.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Trey Millard in the 7th. This guy would become your favorite jack of all trades.....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd start grabbing OG's and DB's.

I'd rather pass on a QB. Feels like a waste with Hill playing in Sam's absence.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'd rather pass on a QB. Feels like a waste with Hill playing in Sam's absence.

Agreed. We should only pick up a 4th/5th rounder if he's an upgrade over Hill. 6th/7th, maybe take a flyer on a guy to take the #3 spot.

I've long said we shouldn't take a QB before this point, because I think the Rams are so behind Sam that someone "pushing" him would be counterproductive. But we have no need of a QB just for the sake of a QB.

So I could go either way with it.

BadCompany

Rookie
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT, McGill,

I'm down with the local boy! (y)

For what it's worth, Jim Popp, General Manager of the Montreal Alouettes in the CFL, was on the radio yesterday and he thinks Duvernay-Tardif is way ahead of any other CIS player who ever went on to play in the NFL, and that if he was in an NCAA program, any program, he would be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He is VERY high on him.

Popp is generally regarded as the best General Manager in the CFL, perhaps in it's history. He's interviewed a couple of times for vacant NFL positions but generally wants the "perfect" fit as he's quite comfortable here. He is considered to be a master of evaluating talent, and that's how he's kept the Alouettes at the top of the league and the model CFL franchise for the last two decades. He's able to see guys that others pass up on.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
What's the point in drafting aqb that will never be a starter? Backup qb's can be found everywhere in FA. Why waste the pick?
I don't know...why did the Patriots draft Tom Brady in the 6th round when they had Bledsoe?

Because you need to develop a quality backup/potential starter behind what you have in the event of injury. Sure, you can sign a spot starter but it's always a good idea to have your next guy...especially if you want to build a consistent winner and not have to reset when you change QBs and keep looking for your next longtime starter.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't know...why did the Patriots draft Tom Brady in the 6th round when they had Bledsoe?

Because you need to develop a quality backup/potential starter behind what you have in the event of injury. Sure, you can sign a spot starter but it's always a good idea to have your next guy...especially if you want to build a consistent winner and not have to reset when you change QBs and keep looking for your next longtime starter.

It's so easy to use Brady as the fallback reason to do it. Now look at how many QB's turned out to be nothing. That's a LOT of wasted picks. QB's almost never pan out after the 3rd. If they wanted to have a player that could legitimately push Bradford and have a chance to take over in the future, they should have done it in the 2nd. Taking one now, that QB is almost assured to be nothing more than a backup and you can find those everywhere so why not use it on a player that has a better chance at helping this team?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It's so easy to use Brady as the fallback reason to do it. Now look at how many QB's turned out to be nothing. That's a LOT of wasted picks. QB's almost never pan out after the 3rd. If they wanted to have a player that could legitimately push Bradford and have a chance to take over in the future, they should have done it in the 2nd. Taking one now, that QB is almost assured to be nothing more than a backup and you can find those everywhere so why not use it on a player that has a better chance at helping this team?
Ok, fine...then let's use Matt Schaub as an example. Or Kevin Kolb. Develop a lower round guy that you can develop into either trade bait or potential starter.

I mean, you can go out and sign a player at any position to start or backup...so why draft their either? Especially since were talking 4-7 rounds here...c'mon.

I'll bet you there are players drafted with 1 or 2 of those 7th round picks that AREN'T a QB that will be nothing.

Using the round drafted as a reason to draft or not draft a position is a mistake IMO. Not every third round is going to have the same players nor the same quality of players. If you are a team you evaluate the talent and if that player has value you take him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm guessing that the Rams are going to package a 6th & 7th rounder to move up into round 5 to pick a QB.

V3

Hall of Fame
Ok, fine...then let's use Matt Schaub as an example. Or Kevin Kolb. Develop a lower round guy that you can develop into either trade bait or potential starter.

I mean, you can go out and sign a player at any position to start or backup...so why draft their either? Especially since were talking 4-7 rounds here...c'mon.

I'll bet you there are players drafted with 1 or 2 of those 7th round picks that AREN'T a QB that will be nothing.

Using the round drafted as a reason to draft or not draft a position is a mistake IMO. Not every third round is going to have the same players nor the same quality of players. If you are a team you evaluate the talent and if that player has value you take him.

Schaub was a 3rd rounder and Kolb was a 2nd. Those aren't later round QB's.

As for players at other positions, you draft them because they can still add to your team(rotation guy, ST's, etc) and they have a MUCH better chance at actually turning into something useful. There are tons of examples of players taken in the fourth round and later that turn into great players. If you want to use a 6th or 7th rounder on one, go ahead, but using a fourth or fifth rounder on a career backup QB isn't good value, IMO.

I'm down with the local boy! (y)

For what it's worth, Jim Popp, General Manager of the Montreal Alouettes in the CFL, was on the radio yesterday and he thinks Duvernay-Tardif is way ahead of any other CIS player who ever went on to play in the NFL, and that if he was in an NCAA program, any program, he would be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He is VERY high on him.

Popp is generally regarded as the best General Manager in the CFL, perhaps in it's history. He's interviewed a couple of times for vacant NFL positions but generally wants the "perfect" fit as he's quite comfortable here. He is considered to be a master of evaluating talent, and that's how he's kept the Alouettes at the top of the league and the model CFL franchise for the last two decades. He's able to see guys that others pass up on.

Wait a minute...there's another Rams fan from Montreal on this board?????? What are the odds?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Schaub was a 3rd rounder and Kolb was a 2nd. Those aren't later round QB's.

As for players at other positions, you draft them because they can still add to your team(rotation guy, ST's, etc) and they have a MUCH better chance at actually turning into something useful. There are tons of examples of players taken in the fourth round and later that turn into great players. If you want to use a 6th or 7th rounder on one, go ahead, but using a fourth or fifth rounder on a career backup QB isn't good value, IMO.
You're missing the point.

If I wasn't busy at work I'd gladly continue the debate...instead, agree to disagree. :rockon::cheers:

V3

Hall of Fame
You're missing the point.

If I wasn't busy at work I'd gladly continue the debate...instead, agree to disagree. :rockon::cheers:

I'll just boil it down to this: I play the odds and also look for value. The odds say it's better to take a position player and you're more likely to get value.