Day 3 Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
QB-They went to 11 on 11 very quickly today. The first string got extended reps all day. They worked on play action rolls and waggles during this time and Sam had no issues.
Later on he threw the prettiest pass of the three days on a long post to Cook down the middle for what would have been a TD....Britt ran down loudly to pound on Cook and talk yet more trash.

Austin Davis was used as the stationary target during the linemen drills during the first half of practice. While this was going on the rest of the squad was doing red zone drills at the other end....I think that says it all.

Shaun Hill has that back up QB check it down mentality down pat.

Gilbert got quite a few reps with the second string today.

RB-Tre Mason has more jets to the edge than Stacy does, and he also has quite a bit of Stacy's style in between the tackles....hides like Frank Gore and then slashes to the crease when it opens.

There is a fullback in camp named Kadeem Jones but he has not been doing very much. Harkey still seems to play that role in the base offense.

Pead got a lot more work with the run game today.......I don't know if there is anything to expect from him at this stage. I have heard some of the defensive players.....one in particular can't stand him and want him off the team.

The kid from Tulsa Trey Watts was rolling to the end zone on a sweep and allowed a DB to get behind him and punch the ball out. I think that was his last rep of the day. He did look good yesterday.

WR/TE-Just to echo what I said about Britt on twitter....he is a professional, bonafide NFL caliber starting wide receiver....seems so long ago doesn't it.

Quick follows him everywhere and Britt slaps hands or his back everytime Brian does something well. There was a really nice out early on in the second half where he reached, brought the ball back in and broke the play down the sideline. Early on in red zone drills he caught everything with people draped on him. Quick did let Joyner get under his skin in the second half. Joyner is a tough, tough corner back he gets right on the line and even in shells knocks the crap out of the receivers. Quick was the only one to beat him jam but Joyner scrambled back and knocked the pass loose. Quick gave him a shove after the play....they already look like they need to hit another team and their own.

Local boy TJ Moe doesn't look the part to me....

Givens was a different player today....he would come back to meet the ball and competed very hard. He had a really nice reverse, cut to the middle and floored it straight up the pipe..

Of all the also rans on the roster the two that stick out to me are Emory Blake who was on the practice squad and Justin Veltung who was returning punts after Austin got hurt. They seem to have the best chance to make some roster moves if there is room.

The kid I liked from the first two days Justice Cunningham had a couple of drops early but came back in the second half.

OLine-Brandon Washington was out today and the reserve tackles got demolished almost all day long.

Barrett Jones got abused in the match up drills.

Demtrius Rhaney had all kinds of trouble the first day with Donald but came back to play pretty well today.

Saffold played LT with the ones.

DLine-Donald had his way once again with most of the second string Oline....he already has more moves and technique than a five year veteran.

I watch Michael Sam quite a bit and he still tends to get washed out and pushed past the QB. But on one of his last reps he knocked the tackles hands down and kept him from getting steered clear of the pocket. It seems he is learning.

Carrington had a pass knocked down when Shaun Hill waited way too long to get rid of it.

Linebackers-I spent most of the day focusing on the DBacks when I watched the defense.

DBacks-Joyner is a revelation...had the receivers frustrated all day long.

EJ Gaines had looked consistently good the three days so far. McGee is in and out, but he is much better than last year when he didn't look he belonged most of the time.

Johnson did not practice.

I don't think Cody Davis has a shot to make the team this year, Alexander is much more athletic. I am pulling for Matt Daniels still who did get on the field today for 11 on 11.

Greg Reid is giving up the Walton style cushion and still getting beat. He looks lost most of the time. I had hopes he would resurrect his career here.

Greg the Leg has not kicked in two days. They don't have a camp kicker this go around. Tomorrow is supposed to be special teams

Ram4life11

Rookie
In word on Chase Reynolds and Benni Cunningham? So far they are the only running backs I have yet to read about?

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Robinson gets beat on a play, and he has he always seems to come back stronger on the next one. He also seems to learn what beat him as with Donald and counters it quickly. I want Chase to get some carries in a game. Benny is solid on the roster, I haven't seen that much from him but I have been looking more for Mason when the offense is working.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Thanks man! Good to finally hear a few positives come from Givens.

God I love Kenny Britt. He's the opposite of what he was in Tenn. He has found new life in STL. The bro-mance between him and Quick could be a saving grace in the passing game.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks for the report. It seems Britt is giving Quick a little swagger to his game. This could be very very good.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Brian Quick has been like Patrik Berglund has been to the Blues....the ultimate tease. I really, really hope he puts it together this year. Would make a huge difference to the team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta love LaMarcus Joyner. It's what I loved about him as a prospect. He's scrappy, feisty, and just loves knocking heads. The kid might be 5'8" 190 but he plays like he's 6'4" 240. For all those wrestling fans out there, I still remember when he picked up FSU's backup TE in their spring game and did the good ole spinebuster on him.

He's strong and he'll hit you. I think Rams fans are going to love the kid. I'd love to see him at FS if McLeod doesn't look a lot better this year.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Great report my friend. I will say again that Quick looked unstoppable out there today. The light has gone on for him!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great read Jimi..Love your insight...Put some opinions out there..Oh yeah.....
I have heard some of the defensive players.....one in particular can't stand him and want him off the team.
What's this all about? Why?

Give me 5 corners you'd trust? Here, I'll help Tru, Joyner, JJ, Gaines, &______.

Oh, Davis or Daniels, who had the best first 3 days? Pads will start to separate these guys..Loved your post..Love the tweets too!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Interesting rumor regarding the d and Pead.
Great to here something positive about Givens. He speed is important for spreading d's.

Great job Jim.

RamzFanz

Damnit
"DLine-Donald had his way once again with most of the second string Oline....he already has more moves and technique than a five year veteran."

Yes.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Great read Jimi..Love your insight...Put some opinions out there..Oh yeah..... What's this all about? Why?

Give me 5 corners you'd trust? Here, I'll help Tru, Joyner, JJ, Gaines, &______.

Oh, Davis or Daniels, who had the best first 3 days? Pads will start to separate these guys..Loved your post..Love the tweets too!

From my point of view the corner situation and the safety depth is the most fluid and contested on the roster right now. I think anyone could do a fairly accurate job right now of cutting down the roster to opening except for the secondary.

McGee is better but that is relative because I thought he was awful and lost last year.

Woodward gets toasted and beat on every time he is out there.

Greg Reid looks like he doesn't belong out there so far, lot of rust to knock off so hopefully he can make a move soon.

That leaves Marcus Roberson and Jarrid Bryant. Roberson was the one Britt picked on but he and Bryant have a bit more size than the rest.

If you had to start the season right now McGee makes the squad and Roberson moves to the practice squad.

Its not all bad on McGee, he has plainly put in some work understanding the defense better, has undercut some passes, is faster than the rest and would have more of a role on special teams. If they make the decision strictly on ceiling and who has the highest McGee wins easily.

Daniels got into team drills slowly and the first two days was only doing special teams and stretching. Safety depth is really muddled to me and may be the biggest area of competition right now.

I believe that Alexander will easily be the 3rd safety and ultimately push McLeod hard for starting time.

After that Cody Davis, Daniels and Christian Bryant are battling for the final spot. Bryant is the shortest of the bunch and the one I have the lesser read on. Daniels has the injury issues and seems to be getting back on the field slowly but I firmly believe if healthy his ceiling is much higher than Davis or Bryant. There is another kid in camp named Avery Cunningham out of Central Michigan.

I debated about including that bit about Pead....I can't write down the exact quote without betraying a trust and giving away the name of the player who said it but............

It went something like this..."If (fill in the blank) thinks you're dumb then you really are dumb".....in reference to Isiah. Pead is getting more reps than he did the first day when it was conspicuous that they were skipping him at times in running drills. He played very well on special teams down the stretch last year but he has a lot of trust issues with the coaches and fans.

Alan

Legend
Hey Jim, how did Saffold look when playing LT at his new weight?

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
He stoned Quinn on two snaps in a row that I zeroed in on.....the rest of the 11 on 11 I was watching Joyner almost exclusively if he was out there or McGee. You guys are gonna love Joyner. I already do.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Christian Bryant are battling for the final spot. Bryant is the shortest of the bunch and the one I have the lesser read on.

hasn't bryant been standing on the sideline since camp started?

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
It went something like this..."If (fill in the blank) thinks you're dumb then you really are dumb".....in reference to Isiah. Pead is getting more reps than he did the first day when it was conspicuous that they were skipping him at times in running drills. He played very well on special teams down the stretch last year but he has a lot of trust issues with the coaches and fans.
Does anyone remember if they brought Pead in for a predraft visit? I can only speculate that they got a little greedy, trading the 45th pick to Chicago for the 50th pick, hoping to select Bobby Wagner at 50. When Wagner was gone at 47 apparently Jeff Fisher was upset and I guess they went with the best player on their board and that was Pead. It seems like they would have caught on to Pead being an idiot if they had a predraft meeting with him.