Day 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
The team spent a very long time working on special team skills, coverage and technique at the start. None of that was full speed and a lot of it was broken down. They would have two gunners work with a contain man in tandem pursuing through 2-4 blockers. I did get a look at Helmick as a kick returner (he did not get work at punt return). Most of the returners were just catching the balls and turning up field, there wasn't any chance to see full squad work in that department.

Stacy along with Austin is getting work at punt returning. A cornerback named Andre Martin is also getting work there along with Pead.

Hekker kicked the hell out of some balls today, they would alternate directional kicking to the sideline and then just let him boom it. During one sequence he was kicking into the pursuit drill on the opposite 30 from his own end zone.

Zuerlein did his usual attack on the tower guys. It doesn't seem that they are attempting as many ridiculously long kicks this camp but bringing him in closer and concentrating on accuracy.

QB-Bradford did have 2-3 passes batted down today. But they were running the 7 on 7 in split squads and the one in front of my was mostly Austin Davis. I did watch the far some but don't have a really good read on it. They kept all the running backs with Davis and Clemens along with the tight ends.

Austin Davis took the majority of the second team reps in 7 on 7. What to make of that I wouldn't think a lot yet until they play a game but it was refreshing to see the ball never hit the ground. Davis got off to a great start in the first session. He was hitting Harkey consistently in the seam for really good yardage.

Not gonna pile on Clemens save in the final 11 on 11 session I could see him totally misfire on a fade that came nowhere close to where it should have been.

After the practice seemed to be winding down they had Hekker come out and run an 11 on 11 drill as the QB with the third and fourth stringers. He did quite well for himself. He did have trouble with one call and had to go back to Cignetti to get it right but its an interesting development.

RB-Toward the end of the special teams sequence they started to do a lot of unit work. Coach Sirmans sent the backs through a lot of agility drills and then blocking. Pead blew everyone away at agility. Granted there is no one shooting at you, but his foot speed in hurdling pads and jump cutting was fantastic. Richardson came the closest followed by Stacy. Stacy lunged a little bit in the blocking drills and the Coach took him off to the side for some work.

Stacy has some trouble with his routes, its coachable and he frames the ball really well.

Ganaway looks slow in the drills but did have a good run in 11 on 11. He actually showed a burst and good body lean.

Bennie Cunningham looked the best on the sled and had really good balance and technique blocking.

Several times in the 11 on 11 I saw the Rams run the old Redskin counter trey of John Riggins fame.

WR-Helmick finally dropped a pass but it was a really good skinny post that he flashed open on. He also caught a really difficult ball in the corner of the end zone in 11 on 11.

They ran a bubble screen out of a three receiver cluster where Bailey is lined up inside (about the only time he lines up in the slot) and then moves out to the outside of the outer two receivers. He also did a really good job on a long ball later.

Tavon Austin had another stop on a dime, turn back and floor it against the flow of the pursuit. Every time he gets the ball the crowd reacts to him. They ran him out of the backfield as a tailback at least four times that I was able to count.

Pettis is still playing big brother to the rookies and helping them in the huddle when he isn't on the field.

Oline/Dline-I spent more time watching the Oklahoma drills today than yesterday. Jack Long and Robert Quinn had a lot of battles and I would say overall Long won the most. Long was subbed out for Barksdale quite a bit in 11 on 11 but it is just Fisher taking care of a veteran coming back from an injury. I watched Long on the sideline to see if something was wrong and he seemed fine.

They also did a tandem drill that I had never seen where a lineman was matched up with a tight end. They had to hit the pads short and then run down about 10 yards and hit the pads again long. Saffold flattened one of the guys short in that drill.

Brockers hasn't lost a one-one rep yet that I have seen. He looks bigger, could be meaner and stronger than last year...he twisted Chris Williams into a pretzel on one rep yesterday. Shelley Smith was taking the majority of the reps at LG today and he didn't do any better.

I wrote about the kid from Ole Miss yesterday named Gerald Rivers and he was just as impressive today. He is only listed at 249 so if he makes the squad I could see them stashing him on the practice squad for a year and building his body up. He has a great rip move at first where he knocks the lineman's hands down and then he has the speed to turn the corner.

Barksdale did better today in the one-one stuff and was fine coming for Long. There was a rookie undrafted free agent named Braden Brown that they were high on but apparently are negotiating an injury settlement.

Hayes has been flashing a really good spin move, doesn't need much work and looks ready to go.

LB-Monday they are going to be in pads and I hope to finally get a read on the unit. Jabara Willliams, Will Witherspoon and Josh Hull are the second unit right now.

There was a play where Cook ended up one-one with Ogletree. Alec got a great drop, stayed with him and was able to break up the pass. He showed depth and range on the play.

DB-McDonald clearly has trouble at times knowing where to line up and is constantly checking with Stewart but today he easily had some of the best play in the defensive backfield. He showed range, recognition once the play unfolded and broke up a couple of passes. He looked pretty shaky to me in coverage and more lucky than good in the videos I saw of him college, but so far I am pleasantly surprised.

Pointer had a great diving interception on an out in the 7 on 7.

I finally got a good look at Brandon McGee and he had two passes defensed and didn't look overwhelmed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DB-McDonald clearly has trouble at times knowing where to line up and is constantly checking with Stewart but today he easily had some of the best play in the defensive backfield. He showed range, recognition once the play unfolded and broke up a couple of passes. He looked pretty shaky to me in coverage and more lucky than good in the videos I saw of him college, but so far I am pleasantly surprised.
It's pretty cool that we're getting a few different "looks" at McDonald so far from a few different reporters. Sounds like he's more comfortable closer to the LOS, but you're saying he's a playmaker, so ... I guess it's all good so far. Sounds like he just needs to get more familiar with the scheme. But it also sounds like he could get embarrassed a couple of times this year too.

Thanks for the update, Jimmeh!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
this is the second day in a row you have made the comment regarding Ganaway looking "slow" in drills. You are comparing him at 240 lbs to a group of much smaller and quicker backs. For a RB his size, he is far from slow. I have watched the same drills you have, and while he isn't as "quick" as Pead or Richardson, he does not appear slow to me at all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
this is the second day in a row you have made the comment regarding Ganaway looking "slow" in drills. You are comparing him at 240 lbs to a group of much smaller and quicker backs. For a RB his size, he is far from slow. I have watched the same drills you have, and while he isn't as "quick" as Pead or Richardson, he does not appear slow to me at all.
Have you two considered hooking up at one of these practices and comparing notes while watching the same things? That would probably be a lot of fun for you guys.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Thanks for the reports, we don't get enough here in So. Cal. I have my bleacher report on push notification and every time it sounds I hope to look down and see something good happening at camp and pray it isn't an injury report.
I am almost always optimistic this time of year and this year I really think my optimism is justified.
Thanks for the reports and keep them coming

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the report, jimtroutboy

FRO

Legend
X said:
It's pretty cool that we're getting a few different "looks" at McDonald so far from a few different reporters. Sounds like he's more comfortable closer to the LOS, but you're saying he's a playmaker, so ... I guess it's all good so far. Sounds like he just needs to get more familiar with the scheme. But it also sounds like he could get embarrassed a couple of times this year too.

Thanks for the update, Jimmeh!
Yeah those sort of mistakes may cost us a bit early in the year, but as the season rolls on we will see those disappear. The thing is we had such bad play at safety last year that some mental mistakes will hurt, but we are already sort of used to screw ups by our safety's anyways. A lot of good stuff I'm hearing about McDonald.

I'm hearing a lot of good about our rookies. That's great. Happy to hear good things about McGee. Having 4 quality corners would be huge.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CoachO said:

Far enough he does to me. And I am not comparing him to the smaller quicker backs. His foot speed looks slow to me.

Cheers

Jim

FRO

Legend
Has Benny Cunningham taken any second team reps? He is a guy that is very intriguing to me because he was dominate in college pre injury.

paceram

Pro Bowler
FRO said:
Has Benny Cunningham taken any second team reps? He is a guy that is very intriguing to me because he was dominate in college pre injury.

I agree. Cunningham is one of my sleeper picks for the Rams and I won't be surprised to see him make the Rams final roster (If, he can stay healthy).

nighttrain

Legend
Really appreciate the time you take to write the report on camp, jimtroutboy
thanks
train

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm so envious of you Locals who can attend these practices. Your reports are invaluable.

A Big Mahalo Brudda Jimi... please don't take even a day off from this.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Selassie I said:
I'm so envious of you Locals who can attend these practices. Your reports are invaluable.

Think IMA go a cupple days next week,but don't expect me to give as good reports as jimi and coachO, I'm a wannabe analyst.
Maybe I'll just take pics of the hot chicks in the crowd and post them, at least Les will appreciate it as long as nun are over 13 :rofl:

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Thordaddy said:
Selassie I said:

Think IMA go a cupple days next week,but don't expect me to give as good reports as jimi and coachO, I'm a wannabe analyst.
Maybe I'll just take pics of the hot chicks in the crowd and post them, at least Les will appreciate it as long as nun are over 13 :rofl:

The Cheer babes are out in force.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
jimitroutboy said:
Tavon Austin had another stop on a dime, turn back and floor it against the flow of the pursuit. Every time he gets the ball the crowd reacts to him. They ran him out of the backfield as a tailback at least four times that I was able to count.

Great write up Jimi, treat yourself to a nice steak dinner on X's dime! :lol: Do we have a company card yet?

Anyway, I know it's just two days into camp, but it sounds like Austin is everything as advertised through the draft process. Personally I was/am a bit nervous, but still excited as hell at the prospects this kid has to offer. Can anyone who's been watching say if he's looked comfortable so far? Reports don't make it sound like he's been scared at all...how does he look taking handoffs?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Warner4Prez said:
jimitroutboy said:

Great write up Jimi, treat yourself to a nice steak dinner on X's dime! :lol: Do we have a company card yet?
You kidding?

pIYjPer.jpg

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Warner4Prez said:
jimitroutboy said:

Anyway, I know it's just two days into camp, but it sounds like Austin is everything as advertised through the draft process. Personally I was/am a bit nervous, but still excited as hell at the prospects this kid has to offer. Can anyone who's been watching say if he's looked comfortable so far? Reports don't make it sound like he's been scared at all...how does he look taking handoffs?

Its kind of ironic/funny but when there was speculation on the Rams using him as a tailback I thought it would have to be pitches, end arounds, gimmicks.

No its dives and traps up the middle so far. He looks fine at it. I will say seeing on the field up next to the rest of the players was startling at first but he has great instincts to get out of trouble. If they are gonna hit him they plainly have to catch him. His ability to stop, reverse and pivot is breath taking. I have seen it for two days now and every time he does it still makes you gasp. They are moving him all over the place so far in sets....most of the time in the slot but occasionally I have seen him motioned out to a flanker spot isolated against a triple stack on the other side. In that set the defense is almost forced to rotate the safeties to the strong side and leave Austin one-one.