Davis calls first NFL experience 'eye-opening'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By BRAD KEITH
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/sports/pro/article_0b64689c-daae-11e2-a048-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/sport ... f887a.html</a>

517e93bf6fb1a.image.jpg

St. Louis Rams safety Cody Davis, a 2008 Stephenville High School graduate, labeled his first NFL experience in organized team activities as both "eye-opening" and "exciting."

It's an eye-opening experience because you're surrounded by so much talent, and it's humbling just to be a part of it all," Davis said. "And it's exciting. It's the NFL and we're all just trying to make it."

Davis, who joined the Rams as an undrafted free agent out of Texas Tech, is one of a slew of young safeties competing for precious few roster spots. The Rams held 10 OTA's from May 21-June 14, and begin training camp July 25.

St. Louis parted ways with veteran starters Quintin Mikell and Craig Dahl in the offseason, and had no safeties with more than four years experience until signing eight-year veteran Matt Giordano last week.
The roster moves combined with a soft tissue injury to Darian Stewart gave Davis the opportunity to work with the second-team defense.

"That's a good spot for me, going with the twos now," said Davis. "I hope I made a positive impression and can carry it over to training camp. The coaches work with you and coach you up, but they don't really give you any indication where you stand on the depth chart."

One of the highlights Davis enjoyed most from his rookie OTA experience was matching up with fifth-year veteran tight end Jared Cook, who had 93 receptions for 1,292 yards and seven touchdowns the last two seasons for the Tennessee Titans.

[hilite]"I was going 1 on 1 with (Cook), and I got a pass breakup and defended him well on another one," Davis said. "He didn't catch any on me. It was exciting to go against a veteran of his caliber and get positive results."[/hilite]

Davis has appreciation and respect for Rams coaches from head coach Jeff Fisher on down.

"Everybody has their own NFL experience, and I feel truly blessed to have the coaching staff that is here. Coach Fisher sets the tone for the whole organization. He goes about his business in a cool, calm and collected manner and really sets the standard," Davis said. "He's a players' coach. He knows what's good for us and is always looking out for us. The coaches are on top of every detail, but it's not a screaming in your face business around here at all."

Every prospect hopes to hear their named called in the NFL Draft, but Davis was able to choose his team immediately following the draft's conclusion.

"Only time will tell," when asked if that was a blessing in disguise. "It was definitely bittersweet because I didn't get drafted, but this opportunity here, drafted or not, is probably the best opportunity I could have gone for."

Davis says he's headed home to Texas for a break before training camp.

"I've been in the hotel for four weeks now and the walls are starting to close in on me. It will be good to get back to Texas and see family," Davis said. "I'm going to keep myself in playing shape, but other than that get my mind off football for a little bit and be fresh and ready for training camp."

That's when the competition for roster spots will really heat up.

"I'm just trying to make the team. Whatever it takes," Davis said. "As long as that happens it doesn't matter where you came from or if you were drafted."

Follow Brad Keith on Twiter @etsports​

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X posted:

[hilite]"I was going 1 on 1 with (Cook), and I got a pass breakup and defended him well on another one," Davis said. "He didn't catch any on me. It was exciting to go against a veteran of his caliber and get positive results."[/hilite]

Glass half full or half empty? :fused:

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
X posted:

Films of Cody Davis made me think, what a find
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
X posted:

Hard to tell, eh? The way I see it, there are 3 possibilities.

1. Cody Davis is pretty good
2. Jared Cook is pretty average
3. It's OTAs and neither are trying very hard

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X listing his probabilities:

Options 1 & 2 mirror my thoughts but #3 is a very low probability IMO. Cook might just be thinking about staying healthy. I'm pretty sure Cody was fighting to earn a place in training camp. That doesn't change anything concerning 1 or 2 though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:

Options 1 & 2 mirror my thoughts but #3 is a very low probability IMO. Cook might just be thinking about staying healthy. I'm pretty sure Cody was fighting to earn a place in training camp. That doesn't change anything concerning 1 or 2 though.
That makes sense too. Though, at this stage of the game, I'm not gonna speculate or critique the work habits of players when I clearly have no first-hand knowledge of them. I'm gonna lean towards #1. I think Cody Davis is probably pretty good. His tape suggests as much, and like you said ... he's probably fighting hard to get a spot on the team. Jared Cook is going to get covered by players, obviously. Nobody here thinks he's gonna run free out there like a gazelle or anything (I hope).

Just your normal training camp fodder that I highlighted to elicit a response.
I'm naughty. :twisted:

nighttrain

Legend
liked what tapes I saw of Davis, and as an undrafted guy, ya know he's going all out to make the squad.
train

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
X said:
albefree69 said:

That makes sense too. Though, at this stage of the game, I'm not gonna speculate or critique the work habits of players when I clearly have no first-hand knowledge of them. I'm gonna lean towards #1. I think Cody Davis is probably pretty good. His tape suggests as much, and like you said ... he's probably fighting hard to get a spot on the team. Jared Cook is going to get covered by players, obviously. Nobody here thinks he's gonna run free out there like a gazelle or anything (I hope).

Just your normal training camp fodder that I highlighted to elicit a response.
I'm naughty. :twisted:

Hey it's not critiquing the work ethic of anyone X. It's the simple knowledge that Cook is a veteran with a guaranteed spot and money while Cody Davis is an UDFA. Which one is going to be going full out during a no pad practice predicated more on installing plays and allowing the new members to get orientated in STL? I think you know.

So what I'm saying is no worries on Cookie and Davis is a steal, fur sure