Davin Joseph jumps into starting role/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Davin Joseph jumps into starting role
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11346/davin-joseph-jumps-into-starting-role

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- From the moment soft-spoken guard Davin Joseph signed with the St. Louis Rams he began going about his business as he always does: in the most professional way possible.

Joseph signed with the Rams on May 28 after his original team, Tampa Bay, released him during the offseason. At the time, Joseph said he weighed his options and ultimately believed St. Louis would be the right place to get a fresh start after eight years with the Buccaneers.

Upon arrival in St. Louis, Joseph sounded like a man content to do whatever the Rams asked of him, and though he wanted to prove he still has some gas in the tank, he looked poised to be the team's only veteran backup option.

As it turns out, Joseph did much more than offer some experience behind the starters. Heading in to Sunday's season opener against the Minnesota Vikings, Joseph is to start for the Rams at his familiar right guard position.

"The goal was to make the football team, and then of course make an impact," Joseph said. "So whatever that may be, however I can help, that’s what I’m here for."

To open the season, how Joseph can help is by providing a steady presence on an offensive line that seems to be in a perpetual state of flux. Throughout the preseason the Rams went stretches of time without the services of left tackle Jake Long, center Scott Wells and left guard Rodger Saffold. With rookie Greg Robinson struggling to settle in and bouncing between left guard and left tackle, Joseph joined right tackle Joe Barksdale in providing some semblance of stability on the right side.

Unexpected though it might have been, Joseph's ascent probably shouldn't surprise. After all, aside from Long he is the most accomplished lineman on the roster. Once considered one of the league's premiere guards, the 6-foot-3, 313-pound Joseph has played in 100 games and earned a pair of trips to the Pro Bowl.

The past two seasons have been a nightmare for Joseph as he has dealt with a serious knee injury and a staph infection. The former cost Joseph the entire 2012 season, and the latter kept him from returning to form in 2013.

As the difficulties of those two seasons piled up, the Bucs decided to part ways with Joseph, who also believed it best to start over. In St. Louis, Joseph said he has found exactly what he was looking for.

"I think being a Ram has been the best thing that’s happened to me in a long time, so it’s strange how things happen," Joseph said. "When you get released by one team and picked up by another team, you don’t quite know what your role is, you just come to work, shut up and do your job. You just learn every day. I’ve learned a lot since I’ve arrived here. I’ve really enjoyed the journey so far."

Joseph played 70 snaps in the preseason as the Rams reconfigured things based on who was available each week. It became apparent when he started the third preseason game against Cleveland that he was in line to nail down a starting spot. His experience certainly works in his favor, even if he has struggled the past two years.

"I think last year he was kind of coming back of some bumps and bruises things like that," offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. "Wow, what a pro. Comes to work every day, probably one of the strongest guys we have up front in terms of just the sets he uses and getting his hands on people, things like that. But consummate pro.”

At just 30 years old, Joseph believes he has plenty of football in him and is out to prove he can still perform at a high level. In the Rams' run-heavy offense, they will need him to at least become a reasonable facsimile of the player he once was for the group to have success.

"When you enjoy going to work, it’s a lot better than just going to work," Joseph said. "When you actually look forward to going to work every day, there’s a lot of positive energy. So that’s been a major difference is that since I’ve been in St. Louis, I’ve really looked forward to going to work every day. That’s been a lot different than some of my years in Tampa, not all, but some, where it wasn’t really that enjoyable experience."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Joseph seems back to his pro bowl form and is the reason that now Greg Robinson is first offensive lineman off the bench. One can surmise that for the first time since the beginning of the decade the Rams will have their best offensive line they've had in quite some time. Hopefully the football Gods after dealing us a crushing blow to our field general will shine brightly on our boys in the trenches and keep them in tact all year long.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We knew he was a former pro bowler coming in and you can olnly hope he returns to that form. Sounds like he's right there and we hit a home run. This is a best case scenario for our team. For once we don't have to throw a rookie in the fire and yell "sink or swim!" Heck if our OL stays healthy and dominates, that's all that matters for that unit.

Now, time to bull doze Minnisota.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Its hard to believe we got this guy after the draft and original round of free agency. What a steal. With all the shitty o-lines around the league, I can't believe only we kicked the tires enough to decide it was worth a shot to bring him in.

Irish

Starter
Am I the only one who is not shocked by this? The dude is a bona fide stud, why the heck wouldn't he be at worst a starter on this team, and at best a difference maker

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Hope he is back to his pro-bowl self. Will wait and see his on the field play.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This Boudreau OL was made for for the style of play that Davin Joseph brings. With the end of Harvey Dahl's time in the NFL was over this Ram OL lost a serious A T Ol'er.

I think I can safely say we all loved Harvey for his AT in the way he blocked so much passion. So when Boudreau went looking for a replacement for Harvey.....he must of thought his luck had finally changed when Davin decided to be a Ram. Davin has a lots of Tude in his game. Nice generous gentleman off the field......one big nasty mean streak for the defenders across in his face on the field.

I am sure that some of the other older DL'ers in the Western Division have not forgotten what Davin brings when he is healthy & when he lines up across from them. The young DL'ers will soon find-out!:sneaky:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just want to see our Running game rack-up about, Oh, 260 yards, in game1! and .... score at will!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
davin-joseph-cut-03082014.jpg

You talkin' 'bout me?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
after eight years with the Buccaneers.

It was 7yrs.

I hate to pick on details like this, but at 30yrs old the math just didn't add up. Editors should pick up on this stuff.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This was the second time in recent weeks a player talked about the chemistry of this team.

Folks; I may not play football but I think we all know the power of a highly united team.

We might have something special brewing.

fearsomefour

Legend
The right side of Joseph/Barksdale has a chance of being one of the better in the league....will be interesting as Robinson progresses.

ramsrams

UDFA
With the caveat that I saw only two of the four preseason games this year, and snippets of the others, I didn't see any Rams OL approach what I would call good. That includes Joseph.

Put me in the wait and see camp.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
The benefit of veterans on the OL is that they should gel quickly. If they can avoid the injury bug this should be a very good OL with some depth.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The plan was to have GR play left guard and Saffold at the right guard spot but Joseph changed that to GR playing more at left tackle as insurance against Long's injury. Joseph's play made GR a luxury and gave the Rams more time to coach up GR's pass blocking. This can only help in the long run!