Davin Joseph and O line reconfiguration possibilities

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So IMO I will not judge Tim Barnes so harshly under those conditions. I think that the passed two years under Boudreau has made Barnes a much better center than what we saw in college.

Great post, however, even with the changes in the Seattle game, he was still a complete disaster. His man beat him every single time. I understand the rest of the offensive line is in a state of disarray, however, Barnes got beat every single time and that was not Brandon Washinton's fault.

And it was not just against the Seahawks, after the 49er game, he struggles against the Cardinals. Played better against the Saints, but had a tough time against the Bucs and then the Seahawk debacle. So against stout defensive lines Barnes did not hold up well and the Rams are in a dvision with some stout defensive lines.

Also why are the Rams keeping Wells? Many keep posting they will cut him and they would save cap room, but the Rams have not released him so there must be a reason. I believe the reason is they realize Wells is a far better center than Barnes and they want to ensure Jones is 100% and has more game experience. Why? Because IMO, they realize Tim Barnes is not someone who cannot anchor your offensive line and if Raney showcase ability, IMO, it could be Barnes that is traded somewhere else.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
......Also why are the Rams keeping Wells? Many keep posting they will cut him and they would save cap room, but the Rams have not released him so there must be a reason. I believe the reason is they realize Wells is a far better center than Barnes and they want to ensure Jones is 100% and has more game experience. Why? Because IMO, they realize Tim Barnes is not someone who cannot anchor your offensive line and if Raney showcase ability, IMO, it could be Barnes that is traded somewhere else.

The keeping of Wells has pros & cons all over the place here in ROD world...Barrett Jones has been discussed much too but Barnes has been left out. You & I are probably closer on Barnes than our posts make us look ..I certainly do not look @ Barnes as a solution to be the future anchor for this OL either. If for what ever reasons, Scott Wells is released after pre season concludes.... Barnes's best use would be to hold the fort @ center for a quarter to half a season best as he can until Barrett Jones is fully ready. Its my opinion that Barnes could do it effectively with the type OG's (Saffold -Robinson & Joseph) playing along side him. Barnes brings us a very cheap cost, solid, healthy interior reserve...nothing more.

I also agree that if healthy Scott Wells is a very good center in the NFL...if for what ever reasons (Wells) in 2014 suffers injury's again or a degrade in performance due to the many injuries & surgeries the last two seasons or the needs by Ram Org of cap cash for additional signing ...then Barnes should be able to provide Boudreau the needed time to get Barrett Jones & rookie Demetrius Rhaney up to speed for their NFL futures as our starter & back up centers.

In conclusion I will be pulling & hoping for Scott Wells third season as a Ram to finally be injury free where he maybe could finally be the anchor that he was signed 3 yrs ago to be & yes a healthy Wells is our best center option we currently have now....& you will get no argument here. It sure would be great if Wells last two seasons under contract 2014 & 2015 are the total opposite to what his injury filled first two seasons were. This would certainly help this OL!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
JL's health is a very big cold wet blanket here but even if he is not fully 100% we have more than enough to hold the line until he is.

Nick Wagoner brought up the fact the he thinks Robinson will play LT with the absence of Long, but IMO I still believe they will put Saffold out there with Joseph at RG, but we'll see during OTA's. Agree with you and DR RAM on Washington, but they must see somthing in him because they kept over Gerald Rivers last year when they could have released him and at that time, they were fine with the offensive line numbers.

IMO look for Barrett Jones to be playing Guard that's the guy IMO that will get plenty of reps at both Guard positions and center too. Joseph has always played RG, but should be able to handle LG too. So if they go with Robinson at LT until Jake Long returns I guess the alignment could look like this come pre-season.

LT...Robinson
LG...Joseph
C...Wells
RG...Saffold
RT...Barksdale

laramsoriginal

Starter
The only reasons the Rams would have to cut Wells is if Jones or Barnes beats him for the starting role....he gets a season ending injury in camp....Jones or Barnes look close enough to Wells ability in camp that the trade or release him to get cap room to sign or trade for someone.

Otherwise Wells is the starter. Cutting him for cap space doesn't help the Rams as long as they ate under the cap and done adding players.

Wells should be given two options, pay cut or cut off the roster. Sorry but he is not worth 4 million. I also think rams should bring in a vet S player in the coming days/weeks. Im not sokd on any Safeties on the roster.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nick Wagoner brought up the fact the he thinks Robinson will play LT with the absence of Long, but IMO I still believe they will put Saffold out there with Joseph at RG, but we'll see during OTA's. Agree with you and DR RAM on Washington, but they must see somthing in him because they kept over Gerald Rivers last year when they could have released him and at that time, they were fine with the offensive line numbers.

IMO look for Barrett Jones to be playing Guard that's the guy IMO that will get plenty of reps at both Guard positions and center too. Joseph has always played RG, but should be able to handle LG too. So if they go with Robinson at LT until Jake Long returns I guess the alignment could look like this come pre-season.

LT...Robinson
LG...Joseph
C...Wells
RG...Saffold
RT...Barksdale

Lots of things to happen with this Jake Long rehabbing event. Once GR gets into camp they will see just what GR can handle on that left side....I would find it surprising to see GR playing on the right at any time. Could be GR is just as good @ OLT as he is good @ OLG...we have no ideal in knowing. If they go with GR @ OLT that means there is an opening @ OLG. Its been brought out here already that Joseph was strictly a ORG with the Bucs. Brandon Washington is the only OL'er present that has played OLG for this Ram team. I look very hard @ Barrett Jones.

If they flip Saffold to the left side that once again it will rob him of a full TC & pre-season @ ORG where he is suppose to dominate @ this season...NOT good...Saffold was slow to warm up to that ORT last season when he missed the pre season & then was re-injured early in the 2nd game Saffold as talented as he was .....was then unable to outperform Barksdale who got a foothold on that post due to Saffold absence...not sure if the Org. wants to repeat moving Saffold in another absence in his assigned ORG post. IMO it would be best for Saffold to remain on that right side throughout TC & Camp IMO...providing Saffold all his work on that right side so he is fully ready when the season begins is very important if there is an need @ ORT then Saffold will be ready & Joseph can be inserted into ORG.

I would hope that the left side would be worked by a trio just like the right side trio Barksdale/Saffold/Joseph. This is where I could see Barrett Jones being the best left side area Long/Robinson/Jones. Working those young hungry SEC OL'ers together Jones & Robinson heavy on that left side along with the rehabbing Long should provide a solid trio for us. If Long is still unable to go then Robinson who has got all that work during TC & PS in on that left side can hold the fort until Long is ready. Jones should be able to learn his trade early @ OLG.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would hope that the left side would be worked by a trio just like the right side trio Barksdale/Saffold/Joseph. This is where I could see Barrett Jones being the best left side area Long/Robinson/Jones. Working those young hungry SEC OL'ers together Jones & Robinson heavy on that left side along with the rehabbing Long should provide a solid trio for us. If Long is still unable to go then Robinson who has got all that work during TC & PS in on that left side can hold the fort until Long is ready. Jones should be able to learn his trade early @ OLG.

I like that plan BonifayRam...I like it very much!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wells should be given two options, pay cut or cut off the roster. Sorry but he is not worth 4 million. I also think rams should bring in a vet S player in the coming days/weeks. Im not sokd on any Safeties on the roster.

Hopefully this will be Wells last season with the Rams. I hope they have a better option. However they are not desperate to get under the cap and unless they feel the urgency to sign a Vet, they may as well let Wells earn what they agreed to pay him.

With a new DC it may be just as well not to bring in a Vet unless they have played for Williams anyway. It is easier to train a puppy than it is an old dog.