David Johnson rb

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thehammer

Rookie
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/david-j ... iowa-2014/

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-senior-bo ... chdown-run
Matt Miller‏@nfldraftscout·Jan 23
Forgot to mention RB David Johnson. He was a favorite of our group all week. Upright runner with speed and hands. Looks like D Murray

Paul Burmeister‏@PaulWBurmeister·Jan 23
Speaking of SR Bowl banquet last night....proud to see David Johnson won RB of the week as voted on by pro scouts. Gave me KWWL & IA pride.

Emory Hunt‏@FBallGameplan·Jan 22
As I mentioned live during practice, @UNIFootball RB David Johnson is the best pass catcher out of all of the backs here #SeniorBowl
Justin Higdon‏@afc2nfc·Jan 22
That's gonna be his bread & butter RT @FBallGameplan: @UNIFootball RB David Johnson is the best pass catcher of the RBs here #SeniorBowl
. Anybody with two eyes can see that RB David Johnson will be a fierce pass protector at the next level. @NIU_Football

very bright kid... Scouts compare him to Matt Forte. If you haven't watched that Iowa game he caught passes for over 200 yards and well worth watching.
Unstoppable in passing drills at the senior bowl. Dips shoulders, fakes, does stutter steps to get open. A Load to cover. Big upgrade over Stacy and Cunningam. 6'1 224 expect low 4.5 from him at the combine.

Brees struggled without Sproles...an elite 3rd down back would be Bradford, Austin Davis and Hills best friend...rams have zero receiver on their roster who can make 50 1st downs a year(a huge need)....lot of speedy vertical guys...an elite pass receiving rb who can't be covered by lbers is made for this offense and a perfect complement for our speed at te/wr.

Maybe he is the next Murray..Masons yards per carry went down every month he played..not surprising for a 5'8 205 lb rb...Rams need a solid back to pair with Mason so he doesn't run down.

right now a late 2nd/early 3rd....
49 gms 866 4,687 5.4 49 td 141 rec 1,734 14td

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
I do want a big back, especially one with hands. Mason's hands out of the backfield kinda scare me. BamBam probably has the best hands, but his pass-catching/running isn't the greatest.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Forgot to mention RB David Johnson. He was a favorite of our group all week. Upright runner with speed and hands. Looks like D Murray

I don't recall being an upright runner being a good thing in most cases. The Rams really have a limited number of picks this year. If they don't feel some holes with Free Agency then taking a runningback in the first three rounds doesn't seem so likely. I expect Johnson to be gone by the 5th.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't think that Tre Mason is the answer - per se - and neither Stacy nor Cunningham can change a game from a backup or 3rd down back spot so I think if the talent's there at RB you have to look at picking another one up.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
A hard nosed kid that's for sure. They play some tough ball at UNI and he'd be the poster child for it.

I like Cobb out of UofM too. Not a lot of mileage on the tires, good size, nothing to get excited about in the passing game though. He'd be a great early down back though, solid compliment to the other two guys.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I don't recall being an upright runner being a good thing in most cases. The Rams really have a limited number of picks this year. If they don't feel some holes with Free Agency then taking a runningback in the first three rounds doesn't seem so likely. I expect Johnson to be gone by the 5th.

I'd take it with a grain of salt. If I remember correctly that was the knock on Adrian Peterson when he came out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Forte comparison is on point. Johnson doesn't run like Murray. Murray is a lanky power HB with long speed. Kind of like Darren McFadden except he has better vision and lateral agility. Johnson is like Forte. He's an elusive HB that doesn't run with much power. Not really going to push the pile and doesn't look to punish tacklers. But he's nimble and makes some great cuts. Plus, his receiving skills are elite.

Would I draft him? Yes and no. I think he'll likely go third round and I like Josh Robinson better in that range but I'd certainly draft the kid if he was #1 on my board. I'd like to see us take a HB. A guy like Josh Robinson or David Johnson in the 3rd would be nice if we trade down in the first and can pick up some additional top 100 picks. If not, I like Jeremy Langford in the 5th A LOT. I also like Mike Davis who isn't getting his due because he's been beat up the past couple years. He has some durability questions but he's a three down HB that can move the pile and has similar speed/burst as Mason when healthy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Forte comparison is on point. Johnson doesn't run like Murray. Murray is a lanky power HB with long speed. Kind of like Darren McFadden except he has better vision and lateral agility. Johnson is like Forte. He's an elusive HB that doesn't run with much power. Not really going to push the pile and doesn't look to punish tacklers. But he's nimble and makes some great cuts. Plus, his receiving skills are elite.

Would I draft him? Yes and no. I think he'll likely go third round and I like Josh Robinson better in that range but I'd certainly draft the kid if he was #1 on my board. I'd like to see us take a HB. A guy like Josh Robinson or David Johnson in the 3rd would be nice if we trade down in the first and can pick up some additional top 100 picks. If not, I like Jeremy Langford in the 5th A LOT. I also like Mike Davis who isn't getting his due because he's been beat up the past couple years. He has some durability questions but he's a three down HB that can move the pile and has similar speed/burst as Mason when healthy.

I really like Langford too. He would be great value in round 5. His burst through the hole is impressive. I recall on play against Ohio State in 2013 where he hit the hole and ran right between Bradley Roby and Ryan Shazier just as he passed the line. I don't think either touched him. Both of them are very fast/quick with great SPARQ scores.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'd take it with a grain of salt. If I remember correctly that was the knock on Adrian Peterson when he came out.

Not to mention the best (imo) pure running back I've ever seen (#29) was also upright runner, but yeah generally speaking that does not translate well in the NFL