David Bakhtiari $105m Extention

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

This shit is dumb! No chance I would pay an OL $23m a year. Holy shit. I would be pissed if I was a GB fan. I would much rather pay 5-10m for a good/not great player.

I'm not doubting his talent. He's terrific. But, shit. The Packers fans are screaming for another WR and they spend all that money on a LT.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
LT's don't grow on trees so now they don't have to invest a late first on a LT. And you need to protect your franchise QB.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LT's don't grow on trees so now they don't have to invest a late first on a LT. And you need to protect your franchise QB.

I don't know where the hell they grow, but they aren't worth 1/5 of the salary cap. Plenty of LTs protect their QB without taking up so much cap.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This is a dangerous trend. Quentin Nelson will be up for an extention next year and he's the best Guard in football. Probably the best OL period. So, he's gonna want market setting pay as well. Before too long we will have $12m a year for a long snapper.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I don't know where the hell they grow, but they aren't worth 1/5 of the salary cap. Plenty of LTs protect their QB without taking up so much cap.
Well from the time Pace left the Rams, it only took a decade plus until the Rams found a good LT.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well from the time Pace left the Rams, it only took a decade plus until the Rams found a good LT.

Want me to name those coaches and front office? Lol it took a long time to find anything. Incompetent fuckers.

I know a great LT is amazing to have. But they simply aren't worth that in my opinion. He is the best LT in football probably. Top 3 at least.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Imho over the last 20 25 years, a top LT is the 2nd highest paid player on a team. Only a QB gets more.

Just go back in time, Ogden Peter's and Pace really started blowing up salaries for LTs.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Want me to name those coaches and front office? Lol it took a long time to find anything. Incompetent fuckers.

I know a great LT is amazing to have. But they simply aren't worth that in my opinion. He is the best LT in football probably. Top 3 at least.
Relax Francis

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Imho over the last 20 25 years, a top LT is the 2nd highest paid player on a team. Only a QB gets more.

Just go back in time, Ogden Peter's and Pace really started blowing up salaries for LTs.
In 2004 the NFL Salary Cap was just over $80m. Pace, on the first year of a new deal, his highest earnings of the contract made just over $6m. Roughly 7.5% of the cap.

My issue isn't how much he is paid. My issue is the percentage of the cap he is paid.

Debacled

Starter
In 2004 the NFL Salary Cap was just over $80m. Pace, on the first year of a new deal, his highest earnings of the contract made just over $6m. Roughly 7.5% of the cap.

My issue isn't how much he is paid. My issue is the percentage of the cap he is paid.

If you're worried about percentages this new deal is 8.6% of the cap. 1% isn't much of an increase.

We have 10 QBs with over 30m cap hits already and that number isn't going to go down an time soon. The cap is so high the numbers look ridiculous

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If you're worried about percentages this new deal is 8.6% of the cap. 1% isn't much of an increase.

We have 10 QBs with over 30m cap hits already and that number isn't going to go down an time soon. The cap is so high the numbers look ridiculous

Where do you get that number? Not being a smart ass. Just curious. The article says he will make 23 mil yearly salary, up to 23.5 mil. The cap is expected to drop next year, also.

Debacled

Starter
Where do you get that number? Not being a smart ass. Just curious. The article says he will make 23 mil yearly salary, up to 23.5 mil. The cap is expected to drop next year, also.

Which number specifically?
If his cap his is 23m that is about 8.6% of this year's 198m cap.
Pace actually carried a 7m average cap hit per year on the deal for him as well which would be identical to Bakhtiari's 8.6% and he was the 3rd highest paid LT that year. Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of money, but it is about as expected for a player who is arguably one of the best at his position and at that specific position.

As far as QBs go, I'm looking at averages because bonus structures are complicated year to year with their cap hit. Watson, Mahomes, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Goff, Rodgers, Cousins, Wentz, Prescott, and Ryan all carry an average over 30m. Tannehill is just under at 29.5m

If the cap goes down you will see deals get pro-rated with it. If they don't do that half the league is likely over a decreased cap number already before we even hit FA. Over the cap is projecting a 176m cap (where that number comes from I do not know) and that puts the Rams for example 23m over and even worse the Saints at 98m over (how they will fix that I have no clue).

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Which number specifically?
If his cap his is 23m that is about 8.6% of this year's 198m cap.
Pace actually carried a 7m average cap hit per year on the deal for him as well which would be identical to Bakhtiari's 8.6% and he was the 3rd highest paid LT that year. Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of money, but it is about as expected for a player who is arguably one of the best at his position and at that specific position.

As far as QBs go, I'm looking at averages because bonus structures are complicated year to year with their cap hit. Watson, Mahomes, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Goff, Rodgers, Cousins, Wentz, Prescott, and Ryan all carry an average over 30m. Tannehill is just under at 29.5m

If the cap goes down you will see deals get pro-rated with it. If they don't do that half the league is likely over a decreased cap number already before we even hit FA. Over the cap is projecting a 176m cap (where that number comes from I do not know) and that puts the Rams for example 23m over and even worse the Saints at 98m over (how they will fix that I have no clue).

Thank you for clearing that up. For some reason I thought the cap was 120mil. Way the hell off....well that defeats my argument.

Still think its too much for a LT, but thats just an opinion

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Bakhtiari is one of the best left tackles in the game. It makes sense to do a long-term extension.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

This shit is dumb! No chance I would pay an OL $23m a year. Holy shit. I would be pissed if I was a GB fan. I would much rather pay 5-10m for a good/not great player.

I'm not doubting his talent. He's terrific. But, shit. The Packers fans are screaming for another WR and they spend all that money on a LT.

Would you pay OP $20M right now if he was 25 years old ? :)Might be the best LT ever.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Would you pay OP $20M right now if he was 25 years old ? :)Might be the best LT ever.

Yes...because he's one of the best ever. Bakhtiari will never be accused of such a thing. Only 20mil cause my tarded ass knows what the actual salary cap is now. Lol

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone, and I mean anyone making 23mil a year is ridiculous. So I get your point.