Daryl Smith update?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Does anyone have any updated news on LB Daryl Smith's visit with the Rams? I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Rams sign him before he leaves town! If, healthy, I think he is one of the better 4-3 OLB's in the league! But, I have to admit I don't know how they can afford him (unless, they restructured some contracts) since they supposedly had very little salary cap space (and, that was before they re-signed OL Chris Williams).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LB Smith leaves without deal from Rams

Linebacker Daryl Smith completed his free-agent visit to the Rams on Tuesday, but no deal appears imminent.

In fact, indications are that Smith may take several visits before reaching a decision.

Smith, who played his first nine seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, would fill an obvious need for the Rams at linebacker. The team needs bodies at the position, including a starter at strongside linebacker.

James Laurinaitis, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Josh Hull, Sammy Brown and Jabara Williams are the only linebackers on the team’s current roster. And Brown and Williams have only eight games of regular-season NFL experience between them.

Smith, 31, had seven seasons with 100-plus tackles with Jacksonville and would be an instant starter in St. Louis.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/lb-daryl-smith-leaves-without-a-deal/article_2e2dc8d0-0bba-5b56-b485-7a8ca19091c0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 091c0.html</a>

nighttrain

Legend
Here's hoping it ends just like with Jake Long & for the very same reasons
train

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I really don't see how we can manage to get him and still stay under the cap...

nighttrain

Legend
i think there has gotta be a way, otherwise why have him come to ST Louis?
train

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Dude said:
LB Smith leaves without deal from Rams

Linebacker Daryl Smith completed his free-agent visit to the Rams on Tuesday, but no deal appears imminent.

In fact, indications are that Smith may take several visits before reaching a decision.

Smith, who played his first nine seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, would fill an obvious need for the Rams at linebacker. The team needs bodies at the position, including a starter at strongside linebacker.

James Laurinaitis, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Josh Hull, Sammy Brown and Jabara Williams are the only linebackers on the team’s current roster. And Brown and Williams have only eight games of regular-season NFL experience between them.

Smith, 31, had seven seasons with 100-plus tackles with Jacksonville and would be an instant starter in St. Louis.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/lb-daryl-smith-leaves-without-a-deal/article_2e2dc8d0-0bba-5b56-b485-7a8ca19091c0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 091c0.html</a>

Thanks for the latest information on Smith! I have to admit that I am sorry the Rams didn't get him signed but maybe they are trying to clear some cap space or maybe they had concerns about his health?

A55VA6

Legend
We have roughly $506,000 in cap space right now. We'll restructure some contracts. No worries.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
IIRC, Dunbar took his time coming to a decision last year. The market for second-tier LBs was slow last year and it's the same this year. Because of that, players tend to shop themselves longer.