Daryl Richardson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
DRich has lost a lot of confidence on this board it seems. IMO he still has a role here as a change of pace guy that we can develop if used correctly. I'm not sure you can develop vision or lack thereof, but you can develop hands and pass pro.
I've never suffered a turf toe injury. Some info:
Turf toe is a sprain to the ligaments around the big toe joint, which works primarily as a hinge to permit up and down motion. Just behind the big toe joint in the ball of your foot are two pea-shaped bones embedded in the tendon that moves your big toe. Called sesamoids, these bones work like a pulley for the tendon and provide leverage when you walk or run. They also absorb the weight that presses on the ball of the foot.

When you are walking or running, you start each subsequent step by raising your heel and letting your body weight come forward onto the ball of your foot. At a certain point you propel yourself forward by "pushing off" of your big toe and allowing your weight to shift to the other foot. If the toe for some reason stays flat on the ground and doesn't lift to push off, you run the risk of suddenly injuring the area around the joint. Or if you are tackled or fall forward and the toe stays flat, the effect is the same as if you were sitting and bending your big toe back by hand beyond its normal limit, causing hyperextension of the toe. That hyperextension, repeated over time or with enough sudden force, can -- cause a sprain in the ligaments that surround the joint.

Typically with turf toe, the injury is sudden. It is most commonly seen in athletes playing on artificial surfaces, which are harder than grass surfaces and to which cleats are more likely to stick. It can also happen on a grass surface, especially if the shoe being worn doesn't provide adequate support for the foot. Often the injury occurs in athletes wearing flexible soccer-style shoes that let the foot bend too far forward.
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/turf-toe-symptoms-causes-and-treatments

St Louis Rams running back Daryl Richardson had a disappointing second season in the NFL, but he wasn't healthy for the majority of it. Richardson admitted that he suffered a turf toe injury in the first game of the season, which led to his struggles.

Turf toe is an extremely painful injury to deal with, and it affected Richardson's ability to plant his foot and accelerate. He entered the season as the starting running back, but lost the job for good thanks to the emergence of rookie Zac Stacy. Richardson finished the season with just 215 yards and 3.1 yards per carry, and was inactive for the final eight games of the year.

Richardson had a promising rookie year in 2012, rushing for 475 yards and 4.8 yards per carry as the main backup to Steven Jackson. He was expected to be Jackson's successor in the backfield, but the turf toe and Stacy's production derailed those plans. With Stacy now entrenched as the starter, Richardson is expected to compete with Benny Cunningham and Isaiah Pead for the No. 2 spot on the depth chart.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/18/5322530/daryl-richardson-injury-toe-zac-stacy

A healthy DRich's stats week one vs Arizona last season:
20 carries 63 yards 3.2/carry
5 receptions 33 yards 6.6/rec

I think we can all agree that he isn't a feature back, but if used properly he has a role here IMO. He has the speed that Stacy doesn't.

I am hoping that we draft a 3rd down-type back in the mid rounds to compliment Z.Stacy and fits more naturally into our shotgun sets w/Bradford. Pead hasn't been that guy.
Thoughts?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Honestly, I thought going into the season with DRich as our #1 back was not going to be a good move. I'm really not all that convinced that Fish thought it would be any kind of a long term answer. Unfortunately it seems that Pead is a total knucklehead or I really think he would have had the lead role heading into the season. As I said before, I hope I'm wrong but I think he'll be on the outside looking in this season if he sticks with the team at all.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'd still not be opposed to draft another in the mid-late Rd's. In a run heavy offense, you can never have enough quality RB's .... maybe push Chase Reynolds off the team...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Someone mentioned somewhere, or i read it somewhere that in today's NFL where RB's are undervalued...its a good idea to draft one every year to keep the stable competitive and stocked. I tend to agree with that philosophy.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I can't recall anytime in my lifetime as an NFL fan that RB's have had a lower draft value. The league is a big circle in strategy with trends coming and going only to eventually be replaced by a revamped philosophy of the past.
PS Dickerson used to get turf toe it would usually hold him to 1500 + yards in those years

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can't recall anytime in my lifetime as an NFL fan that RB's have had a lower draft value. The league is a big circle in strategy with trends coming and going only to eventually be replaced by a revamped philosophy of the past.
PS Dickerson used to get turf toe it would usually hold him to 1500 + yards that year
Turf toe used to get Eric Dickerson'd.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He might have been a good back if Schotty didn't try to run him right up the middle every single play. And, if he was healthy, which he was not.

RamzFanz

Damnit
He might have been a good back if Schotty didn't try to run him right up the middle every single play. And, if he was healthy, which he was not.

It was a joke. Up the middle, up the middle, up the middle. I had no idea why Schotty was doing it and Fisher wasn't stopping him. DR is an edge rusher.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was a joke. Up the middle, up the middle, up the middle. I had no idea why Schotty was doing it and Fisher wasn't stopping him. DR is an edge rusher.
He looked great on screens though.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think we are in a good situation at RB and I expect Richardson to retake a significant role in the team. We have Stacy and Cunningham as our slower, power runners to pound up the middle, so we really need Richardson as the change of pace back on the edges with is blazing speed.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think we are in a good situation at RB and I expect Richardson to retake a significant role in the team. We have Stacy and Cunningham as our slower, power runners to pound up the middle, so we really need Richardson as the change of pace back on the edges with is blazing speed.

Speaking of blazing speed...The other day I was thinking how fun it would have been to see Barry Sanders run behind the line Emmit Smith had in Dallas.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Speaking of blazing speed...The other day I was thinking how fun it would have been to see Barry Sanders run behind the line Emmit Smith had in Dallas.
Unfortunately, that will never happen but at least we will get to see Zac Stacy rise into the ranks of the best RBs in the league currently (fingers crossed)

SierraRam

Recreational User
There are some decent mid-round backs in this draft & we should consider one of them. Durability is a concern with all our backs - except Pead (who gets cut if the rook works out)​

ramsrams

UDFA
I do this thing on a Skins board. 10 years now.

Three years ago, I said "He can turn the corner".

Sho nuff, he did in that game, for 55 or something like that.

But Shotty knows better than any of us. Up the middle with crap interior OL always works. smh

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
DRich has lost a lot of confidence on this board it seems. IMO he still has a role here as a change of pace guy that we can develop if used correctly. I'm not sure you can develop vision or lack thereof, but you can develop hands and pass pro.
I've never suffered a turf toe injury. Some info:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/turf-toe-symptoms-causes-and-treatments

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/18/5322530/daryl-richardson-injury-toe-zac-stacy

A healthy DRich's stats week one vs Arizona last season:
20 carries 63 yards 3.2/carry
5 receptions 33 yards 6.6/rec

I think we can all agree that he isn't a feature back, but if used properly he has a role here IMO. He has the speed that Stacy doesn't.

I am hoping that we draft a 3rd down-type back in the mid rounds to compliment Z.Stacy and fits more naturally into our shotgun sets w/Bradford. Pead hasn't been that guy.
Thoughts?

Our running game in the beginning of the season was pathetic. Rich went down with first contact every time. Our young WR's had to carry the load and defenses weren't fooled. It was an early season disaster.

Last year was such a waste of year in several ways, IMO.

Rich just didnt do it for me but he's an OK 3rd string. I'd love to have another guy like Cunningham and Stacy. Tre Mason would be awesome but that's just me.