Daryl Richardson Starting To Turn Heads In The NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://ramblinfan.com/2013/08/11/daryl-richardson-starting-to-turn-heads-in-the-nfl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ramblinfan.com/2013/08/11/daryl- ... n-the-nfl/</a>
Daryl Richardson Starting To Turn Heads In The NFL
Since the moment the announcement was made that Steven Jackson would be taking his talents to Atlanta, the proverbial torch was passed to Daryl Richardson. The Rams’ running back position, especially in recent memory, is one looked upon with the highest prestige, marked by NFL greats, like recent Hall-of-Fame inductee, Marshall Faulk, and a potential Hall-of-Famer in Steven Jackson. Even with 2012 second-rounder, Isaiah Pead, on the roster, there was never any doubt the Richardson, a late seventh-round selection, would be the next in line.
However, merely earning the spot does not necessarily earn you respect in the NFL. In modern football, the “necessity” of a dominant running back is arguable, with teams like the New Orleans Saints and Green Bay Packers rarely starting a recognizable players in their backfield, but still regularly ending the season with a Top 5 offense.
Daryl Richardson was a tease for Rams Nation last season, being inserted into the starting lineup at the start of the season in relief of Steven Jackson, who tweaked his groin in Week 2 against the Washington Redskins. As the “next man up,” Richardson took 15 attempts against the ‘Skins, posting 83 rushing yards, as well as 19 receiving yards. In a mid-season stretch, Richardson averaged 8.3 carries and 57 yards per game, while posting a 20+ yard run in three out of four games. However, after the bye, Richardson faded from the spotlight, with Jackson returning to “full health” and, consequently, retaking a bulk of the rushing attempts in the offense.
With Jeff Fisher continually reinforcing the notion that Daryl Richardson will be the starter in St. Louis this season, the rest of the NFL appears to be focusing their attention on the young stud out of Abilene Christian University. Against the Cleveland Browns on Thursday, Richardson took 4 carries for 24 yards, an average of 6.0 yards per attempt, on top of pulling in 2 catches for 20 yards; and it only took his 10 offensive snaps to do it! If that is any indication of the his usage in the regular season, the sky is the limit.
However, it isn’t just Rams Nation that is beginning to take notice. Richardson made Bleacher Report’s list of players ready to make a “huge second year leap,” noting that the Rams’ sophomore seems “primed to at least double his production” from last season. Others are starting to change their narrative in regards to the Rams’ running back battle, slowly transiting away from having “question marks” to having confidence in Daryl Richardson as “the man” to fill the void left by Jackson. Even Fantasy Football sites are starting to push for taking Richardson higher on the board, and nothing screams “you’ve made it” more than seeing the “100% drafted” designation next to your name on fantasy boards.
Those who follow the St. Louis Rams knew we had found a diamond in the rough last season when Richardson was terrorizing opposing defenses on the ground. Now, it appears, the rest of the NFL is finally jumping onto the Daryl Richardson-bandwagon.

Guy Mansworth

Rookie
I have alot of respect for SJ39, but at this point I'd much rather have Richardson in the backfield.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
My only concern is whether or not he'll hold up and I guess that he won't have to because Fisher really will spread the ball around.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
JMO if we don't elevate someone above Pead and he is the #2 ,in time he'll supplant DR,
no reason he shouldn't except just getting comfortable ,give him the work and he'll work into it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
DR impressed me against the Browns. I love the way he hits the hole and takes on defenders. He looks like a faster version of SJ but without the ass to back that style up. I worry how long he will last taking that kind of punishment. He seems to need to add 20 pounds to at least not look like his clock is getting cleaned on most hits. As a featured back, I don't see him lasting an entire season. As a RB, by committee, maybe he can endure the punishment for three or more years. Then again, maybe the kid has that "flailing on contact" kind of style down pat in order to absorb the energy of the collision and can play 10 years in this league. He wasn't a physics major at Abilene Christian was he? :nau: :nau:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Ramhusker said:
DR impressed me against the Browns. I love the way he hits the hole and takes on defenders. He looks like a faster version of SJ but without the ass to back that style up. I worry how long he will last taking that kind of punishment. He seems to need to add 20 pounds to at least not look like his clock is getting cleaned on most hits. As a featured back, I don't see him lasting an entire season. As a RB, by committee, maybe he can endure the punishment for three or more years. Then again, maybe the kid has that "flailing on contact" kind of style down pat in order to absorb the energy of the collision and can play 10 years in this league. He wasn't a physics major at Abilene Christian was he? :nau: :nau:
Yeah, I thought he ran between the tackles in the Browns game better than he ever did last year. I know it's preseason and all, so I won't get too excited, but he looked pretty good there too. I wish he had just a tad bit more patience to wait for the hole to open up/use his blockers a bit better, because he does show very good anticipation for a hole to be there so I know he can do it. But I love the way he attacks the hole and tries to run for daylight on every play.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Guy Mansworth said:
I have alot of respect for SJ39, but at this point I'd much rather have Richardson in the backfield.

I understand what you mean. SJ39 has never been this fast, but SJ was different type of runner also. Its been a long time since I have seen speed at the RB position.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If there is a hole; Richardson will get through it.

If there is a corner; Richardson will get around it.

If there is a pass to catch; Richardson can make it.

If there is a tough yard to gain or a block to make; this is where Richardson's light frame works against him. Which is why someone will emerge... Stacy, Pead, or Ganaway to be the short yardage "heavy" package - IMO.

(EDIT: This does not mean DR can't be a solid blocker [see Faulk] but he's not gonna run anyone over in this league)

A55VA6

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
If there is a hole; Richardson will get through it.

If there is a corner; Richardson will get around it.

If there is a pass to catch; Richardson can make it.

If there is a tough yard to gain or a block to make; this is where Richardson's light frame works against him. Which is why someone will emerge... Stacy, Pead, or Ganaway to be the short yardage "heavy" package - IMO.

(EDIT: This does not mean DR can't be a solid blocker [see Faulk] but he's not gonna run anyone over in this league)
Yep. This pretty much is how I look at it.