Darius Williams is PFFs highest rated corner for first half of the season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The Jacksonville Jaguars are hitting their Week 9 bye with all the positive momentum in the world, particularly on defense.

Through eight games, the Jaguars lead the NFL with 18 takeaways and defensive coordinator Mike Caldwell's unit ranks No. 4 in EPA/Play, up there with the other elite defenses in the NFL in the Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, Cleveland Browns, and Kansas City Chiefs.

The Jaguars have gotten Pro Bowl-level play from at least one player in all three units of the defense, but it has been cornerback Darious Williams who has been especially impressive for the resurgent Jaguars defense.

Williams leads the NFL with 14 passes defended -- four more than the next closest defender. He has also recorded three interceptions and a pick-six, all coming during the Jaguars' five-game winning streak.

Williams' spectacular play deserves national recognition, and he got just that this week with PFF announcing that he is the NFL's highest-graded cornerback entering Week 9.

“Starting with Darious, he’s a veteran guy that seems like the ball is going his way, but he’s making those plays," Jaguars head coach Doug Pederson said on Monday. "It’s good for his confidence and it’s great for the defense. He’s playing at an extremely high level and it’s good to see."

Williams is in his second season with the Jaguars after signing as a free-agent last offseason. After starting his tenure in the slot, Williams moved outside after Week 6 last season and ended the year as one of the NFL's most efficient outside cornerbacks in coverage.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So happy for him. Was one of my favorite Rams players ever.

Rams leaving and having success hasn't been a very common theme in the McVay era which points to great coaching and maximizing players.

I've watched a few Jags games and the eye test backs that grade up

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
He's earning that big (3yrs $30 million) contract while getting to play for the team in his hometown.

Not bad for a undrafted free agent.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's earning that big (3yrs $30 million) contract while getting to play for the team in his hometown.

Not bad for a undrafted free agent.
I wish the Rams could have kept him. I think the Ravens signed him originally.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Good for him and the Jags are doing a great job of utilizing his skills as well. He's still got holes in his game I think, so I don't give a fuck how many points PFF gives him, he isn't the top corner in this league. But he's a quality corner no doubt.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Slightly off topic, but wtf is going on with JJ3? Has he even seen the field yet?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Good for him! I always liked Williams. Very scrappy player. And he made some absolutely huge plays for us in the most clutch of moments, precisely when the team needed a turnover the most. Like his pick 6 against Seattle in the playoffs, completely jumping the route when Wilson targeted DK Metcalfe. Zero way any CB makes it to the ball there in time to pick off the pass unless they knew it was coming in advance - that pick was doubtlessly the product of much firm study, and I have a soft spot for cerebral players.

Sadly, he wasn't able to follow up his strong debut season in horns with another campaign of equal performance. He was up and down. Inconsistent. He was still a useful player and worth retaining if money was not an issue, but without the benefit of hindsight, it is impossible to argue the Rams made the wrong choice by letting him walk for that much $$$. If he is piecing it together now to be worth that much coin - I am always hesitant to just trust PFF blindly - then hats off to him. Corners in particular also can really vary based on scheme. No idea what Jacksonville runs. Perhaps it suits him. No guarantee he achieves the same success in L.A. with Morris.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Loved him from the first time I saw him on the field for the Rams in a preseason game against the Cowboys in Hawaii. You could just tell he was a baller and understood how to make plays. Instinctive and understood football.

Sigh.