Darian Stewart Locked In As A Starting Safety

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Stewarts a gamer. Give him another full offseason and I think he'll do good. Still need one more. Did landrey get signed? I'm out of town on my phone.

A55VA6

Legend
Health is an issue for me with Stewart. But if he's our starting SS I'll be okay with that, definitely. He fits Fishers mold. Tough, hard tackler, gives it his all every down.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
That's great.
I want to see what he can do over a full season.

The FA market is still loaded with safeties. In a week there will be starter quality guys happy to sign for the vet min. just to have a team to go to camp with.
Still like to get a stud in the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
A55VA6 said:
Health is an issue for me with Stewart. But if he's our starting SS I'll be okay with that, definitely. He fits Fishers mold. Tough, hard tackler, gives it his all every down.

I do not have any real concerns about Darian Stewart being our top contender as our starting Strong Safety. At the same time Stewart has been healthy 2 out of his 3 NFL years in the NFL. DS was hurt early in TC and never got it together until late in the season. DS can play FS but he is much better in the box. DS & Matt Daniels should be a fine pair of young SS's. 5-11 215/220 pounds is faster than Mikell and stronger & about a decade younger & comes at a cost one tenth of what it was going to cost us for Mikell. DS started 13 games in 2011 while Mikell was listed the starter @ FS & Craig Dahl listed as starting SS. In other words he filled in & started & played both FS & SS. In 2011 DS has 84 tacks, 1 ints, 3 sacks & 2 forced fumbles not bad stats only in his second yr. If that knee is fully sound we have our starting strong safety.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/darian-stewart?id=494307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/ ... ?id=494307</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75646&draftyear=2010&genpos=ss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=ss</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/team/roster/Darian-Stewart/fd0369d7-d01e-4f98-af4b-7dccdc19b2c6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/team/roster/ ... ccdc19b2c6</a>

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really liked Darian coming into 2012 but why have him backup Dahl all year if you're planning to start him?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
jrry32 said:
I really liked Darian coming into 2012 but why have him backup Dahl all year if you're planning to start him?
What if they were putting him on the bench so that they could evaluate the talent they had at safety, that way by the end of the season they know whether to keep em or let em go. just my 2 cents.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
X said:
Someone ask for a video of that?

No? Well, take it anyway. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvQ-EJyIRKg[/youtube]

Thanks for posting that video! He looked like Pollard for a minute there.

My opinion on Stewart is that he's a good depth player at SS, but not a starter and certainly not a FS. If he was 10 pounds bigger he wouldn't be as injury prone and could be counted on to start at SS.

He started against the Ravens that infamous day when we got beat for three (3!) long TD passes. Yes. Yes. The Ravens are good at that but the whole point of having a safety on top is so those things don't happen.

And as much as I respect the hard work of Dahl, he's an overachiever giving his athletic talent so let's please get a replacement. Looks like the board is talking about Elam... I don't know anything about him, but the draft looks deep so let's hope we get ourselves a center fielder.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
OnceARam said:

My opinion on Stewart is that he's a good depth player at SS, but not a starter and certainly not a FS. If he was 10 pounds bigger he wouldn't be as injury prone and could be counted on to start at SS.

He started against the Ravens that infamous day when we got beat for three (3!) long TD passes. Yes. Yes. The Ravens are good at that but the whole point of having a safety on top is so those things don't happen.

And as much as I respect the hard work of Dahl, he's an overachiever giving his athletic talent so let's please get a replacement. Looks like the board is talking about Elam... I don't know anything about him, but the draft looks deep so let's hope we get ourselves a center fielder.
You're welcome.

I'll have to go back and look at that Ravens game again, but I'm pretty sure that Justin King got abused in man coverage, and Dahl was late on his assignment. I'm not sure Stewart had much to do with that beat-down that Torrey Smith gave us. But again, that's just going off memory.

I agree with Stewart isn't a FS, and if he beefs up a little, he could be a badass SS. I guess we'll see how it all shakes out with the draft and all, but Fisher did say that it's time for Stewart to step up and take the job. Fisher doesn't normally single out players for no reason, so.....

F. Mulder

Starter
I think Stewart got into Fisher's dog house due to injury (not his fault) and by the time he picked up the D Dahl had a better handle on it. Stewart also is not a great special teamer IMO, so that worked against him. I'm surprised they tendered him but am happy. He is a certain upgrade over Dahl and is right there near Mikell. He has better range than Mikell but doesn't blitz or play the run quite as well. If he can improve on his missed tackles he can be a very solid safety for this team.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
X said:
OnceARam said:

You're welcome.

I'll have to go back and look at that Ravens game again, but I'm pretty sure that Justin King got abused in man coverage, and Dahl was late on his assignment. I'm not sure Stewart had much to do with that beat-down that Torrey Smith gave us. But again, that's just going off memory.

I agree with Stewart isn't a FS, and if he beefs up a little, he could be a badass SS. I guess we'll see how it all shakes out with the draft and all, but Fisher did say that it's time for Stewart to step up and take the job. Fisher doesn't normally single out players for no reason, so.....

Good point. Gotta give Fischer the benefit of the doubt.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
bluecoconuts said:
ShotgunShells said:
Someone please tell me Craig Dahl is no longer a Ram.

He was a free agent wasn't he? Probably out of the NFL.

SF 49ers signed him.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-Sign-Safety-Craig-Dahl/d9369571-5020-4dd5-b65a-9488e4e52a18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49e ... 88e4e52a18</a>

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
OnceARam said:

You're welcome.

King was the main culprit. However, Stewart was in the coverage on at least one of them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram Quixote said:
X said:
OnceARam said:

You're welcome.

King was the main culprit. However, Stewart was in the coverage on at least one of them.
I'm sure you're right. And of course there's the fact that Torrey Smith has burned his fair share of corners AND safeties throughout the years. Not so much an anomaly when you look at his body of work. But that day? Sheeeeeesh. Bru-tal.

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:
I'm sure you're right. And of course there's the fact that Torrey Smith has burned his fair share of corners AND safeties throughout the years. Not so much an anomaly when you look at his body of work. But that day? Sheeeeeesh. Bru-tal.

You could imagine how fun that game was to see in live person. :nono: