Daniel Jeremiah on this year's QB class

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's actually very helpful. I used to belong to a torrent site that had every game you could think of but they started cutting memberships.
Glad to help. That guy had a crapload of NCAA and NFL games, but YouTube dropped the hammer on him.
That's why he went to that Chinese site that's more or less the equivalent of YouTube, but the NFL can't touch them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@-X-

I'm watching Kessler today and I'm just not seeing it with him. His OL has been excellent but when he has gotten a clean pocket and a lot of time, he's looked poor imo. He has a tendency to not set his feet when he's feeling rushed and just try to get rid of the balls...which has led to some bad reads and inaccurate throws.

That's the thing about college QBs that always concerns me, you gotta see them in NFL situations. And in the NFL, you just don't often have a clean pocket and all day to throw. Which is what Kessler has often been operating with today. When he hasn't, he just hasn't looked good.

I think he needs another year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
@-X-

I'm watching Kessler today and I'm just not seeing it with him. His OL has been excellent but when he has gotten a clean pocket and a lot of time, he's looked poor imo. He has a tendency to not set his feet when he's feeling rushed and just try to get rid of the balls...which has led to some bad reads and inaccurate throws.

That's the thing about college QBs that always concerns me, you gotta see them in NFL situations. And in the NFL, you just don't often have a clean pocket and all day to throw. Which is what Kessler has often been operating with today. When he hasn't, he just hasn't looked good.

I think he looks pretty good tonight, decisive showing good arm strength , if you ask me, good control, going through progressions, quick release...

Nelson looks good too, as does Leonard.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
@-X-

That's cool if that's how you see it, but we're on opposite ends of the spectrum on what we're seeing I guess. Looks like one of the more poised QBs I've seen in a while. Keeping his eyes up field, going through his reads, nice anticipation and placement. He'll probably end up staying another year anyway. But if he doesn't ... I'll be banging the table hard.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he looks pretty good tonight, decisive showing good arm strength , if you ask me, good control, going through progressions, quick release...

Nelson looks good too, as does Leonard.

I think he's had all day to throw and a lot of open WRs. When things have gotten difficult, I haven't seen him make the plays I expect. While making the routine plays count is important, I think the best gauge of a QB's ability to transition to the NFL comes from the difficult plays. And Kessler hasn't impressed me on those. I think his arm is better than I initially rated it...but still not special. He does have a quick release and efficient mechanics. Good looking feet in a clean pocket.

But he's not going to get the pocket in the NFL that he's getting in college and I just haven't liked the way he's reacted when he's had a muddled pocket.

Leonard Williams has been great. Incredibly disruptive. Easy to see why he's a top 5 pick.

Agholor looks like a solid WR at the next level...oddly enough, I think he's a blend of his two predecessors...Marqise Lee and Robert Woods.

This is a bit of a first impression for me(UCLA was my true first impression) but I'm still just not seeing a difference making QB here.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Liked his movement on that play. Kept his eyes up, good footwork to sift through the traffic, and then reset and threw. But he made a bad decision and an inaccurate throw.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Of course he could have gotten rid of the ball right then, but the coverage was pretty tight out there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Anybody have ESPN Insider that can post the rest of this article? I stopped subscribing because their Rams coverage was non-existent.

The biggest criticism of Kessler is that his team has lost four games -- a valid argument when comparing him with other top quarterbacks. However, when looking purely at season-long statistical trends, Kessler is among the best in the nation in accuracy, poise in the pocket and efficiency.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...t-underrated-qb-college-football?refresh=true

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Of course he could have gotten rid of the ball right then, but the coverage was pretty tight out there.
Nebraska has a real fine secondary, I also thought he was throwing it away. Seems like U took their foot off the gas a little. I hate USC, and I think he'd be better staying in college, but he's improved a lot from the last game that I watched him.

Like it or not, he makes the class better. With the young talent around him, he could end up a Heisman candidate next year if he stays. He's the best SC QB that I've seen in a while.

I don't know, in this class, he could be a find, although it might take a year to develop.

For me, there's a lot to like. I also understand what jrry is saying. He looks better to me than most QB'S I've checked out this year.

2nd or later, could be interesting.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hackenburg will be the first QB picked in 2016. He looked very good last year and this year he had zero protection. Two third string DTs had to play OG and it was a debacle. Hack was sacked 41 times. All of his WR were true freshmen too. There were many mistakes and too often there was nobody to throw to, which is a disaster with a poor Oline. Couldn't run or throw most of the time.

Anyway, after an extra two+ weeks of practice and getting some linemen up to speed (and Dieffenbach for the first half) Hack actually had time to throw and the entire team played better. Receivers were getting separation, TE's were open and they even were able to run the ball early with the Sr. Dieffenbach at guard (Good Oline prospect if not injured). Anyway that game is a good one to watch to get an indication of what Hackenburg can do. He has a strong arm, great poise and Roethlisberger like build. He took a lot of hits this year and often had DTs hanging on him while still making the throws. 37/50 371 yards 4 tds 0 ints.