Dani interviews Pharoah Cooper

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Come on man! Didn't you hear? He was a 4th round pick he can't be any good :)
Count me in as a huge Pharoh fan.He was not given many opportunities
last year,but every time I saw him with the ball,positive things happened.
People can nit pick his size,speed or whatever,But this guy is a ball player from head to toe.
I see no reason he can't be a 6-800yd receiver this year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
upload_2017-4-14_14-34-11-png.19243

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

This is the point of my Cooper argument people seem to be missing. It is easy to point out the rare occurrence and say what about so and so, he was a good later round pick why cant our guy be that. However, if you look at so and so in the bigger picture of that round and you see how rare that guy is. From 1994-2013 6th Round QBs have a .08% success rate.

Similarly, in the last 10 years 4 out of 58 4th round WRs have been really productive. It would be awesome if Cooper was one of those rare occurrences and I wouldn't completely rule it out, but we should temper expectations when there is .07% success rate over the last 10 years.
We all understand your point. Our point is the success rate for all late round picks are low. Should we just not use those picks? Should we just write a guy off as no good because he was a late pick? My answer is the same as yours I'm sure a resounding no. There are always late rounders that are good. Take the best player in every round and hope we can coach them up to their best. And not write off players just because of the round they're selected in.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coop is a tough little SOB. I think he's going to stick on this roster and do some good things for us.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
We all understand your point. Our point is the success rate for all late round picks are low. Should we just not use those picks? Should we just write a guy off as no good because he was a late pick? My answer is the same as yours I'm sure a resounding no. There are always late rounders that are good. Take the best player in every round and hope we can coach them up to their best. And not write off players just because of the round they're selected in.

I am not writing him off because of the round he was drafted or writing him off in general. Even before the draft Cooper is at best 4th in the pecking order behind Tavon, Woods, the TE, and RBs in terms of receiving usage. I am just saying we should temper expectations with some of the lofty comparisons and predicting big numbers. Personally, I am not going into this season with those sort of expectations. I will be ecstatic if he is really productive and not disappointed if he is not. Hell I'll be happy if he is only a good kick returner. Yes there are late round picks who are productive every year, but those guys are rare at the WR position in the last 10 years. If coop beats that trend while being the 4th option in passing game even before the new coach drafts his guys awesome.