D'ANDRE SWIFT vs CAM AKERS vs J.K. DOBBINS Video breakdown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"That's a 300 pound defensive lineman that Akers just put on his ass"

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately, you may HAVE to imagine that this season..

i'd like to think the oline is gonna perform much better this season.

allen is gone so that's already a plus. blythe isn't at guard anymore so another plus.

the line is already better than the one that started last season.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Unfortunately, you may HAVE to imagine that this season..
e61.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Akers looks like the third best back in that video. He may be the best pass blocker though. Akers doesn't have as smooth of a stride as the other two, nor the acceleration that they have. But the other two were out of reach.

Dobbins had some awesome lateral cuts on his inside runs. Better than I thought he could do.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I liked Akers the best in those videos because the hardest yards in the NFL are the scrappy yards that turn what should have been a 3rd and 10 into a 3rd and 5.

I also see him as the most patient and the best at setting up his blocks.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Akers looks like the third best back in that video. He may be the best pass blocker though. Akers doesn't have as smooth of a stride as the other two, nor the acceleration that they have. But the other two were out of reach.

Dobbins had some awesome lateral cuts on his inside runs. Better than I thought he could do.

In smoothness of stride, sure, the others might look better, but Akers was the best fit of the 3. He is the hardest to take down of the 3, might have the best vision of the 3, certainly the only one of the 3 to show that he has NFL pass blocking chops and capable of producing behind subpar lines.
Nothing against the other backs, but I'm very glad Akers was the one available to us.

As Rans fans, our standards for RBs are going to be tough. Nobody, including me, thinks Akers is ever going to be a Gurley, Jackson, Dickerson or Faulk, but he should be a great Cam Akers.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If Akers played at Ohio St, he goes late 1st round/ early 2nd. If Dobbins was at FSU, he is 3rd rounder at best.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I think Akers is the best fit for what we wanted/needed. We could have drafted Dobbins, but we took Akers instead. That tells you something about what we wanted. Also, IMO, Henderson is similar to Swift/Dobbins, so I think we have that kind of back already. We needed a pass blocker hard nosed 3 yards and a cloud of dust type back. Top that off with Akers being a hell of an athlete and receiver, and I think we got the most well rounded back outside of CEH (and Moss, but thats just me).

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
i'd like to think the oline is gonna perform much better this season.

allen is gone so that's already a plus. blythe isn't at guard anymore so another plus.

the line is already better than the one that started last season.

Plus #3 Corbett is probably a stronger G than Blythe.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The only RB's of note that were available when we took Cam Akers (go Cam!) were J.K. Dobbins and Zack Moss, so let's be careful not to compare apples and oranges...

Speaking of oranges, eat your heart out:
On the clock Pick 51.jpg

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swift was drafted #35
Akers was drafed #52
JK D was drafted #55

Akers had a great 10 yard split in the 40-yard dash faster than Swift which shows he has the acceleration. He could have the fastest acceleration of the three. He looks to me to be the best all-around talent including blocking and power.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Thanks @Ram65 A Great watch. I did not realize Cam was that good in pass pro.
That is HUGE for a rookie back. That is usually the weakest skill in rookie backs.
Sometimes hard to find quality analysis like this one.
I watched part of a ranking rookie backs video the other that said Cam biggest downfall is his
Vision. SMH Stopped watching at that point LOL