Dan Pompei reports the Rams are not interested in trading RT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Agamemnon

Rookie
Rodger Saffold - T - Rams
The National Football Post's Dan Pompei reports the Rams are not interested in trading RT Rodger Saffold.
Saffold, a 35-game starter at left tackle, was initially a bit disgruntled over the team's decision to move him to right tackle after the signing of LT Jake Long. Things have reportedly "calmed down," and that showed with Saffold's decision to show up to voluntary workouts last week. Pompei adds that the "expectation" is Saffold will be a Ram for a "long time."

Source: National Football Post
Apr 21 - 9:50 AM

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/</a>

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Re: Dan Pompei reports the Rams are not interested in tradin

Amazing what happens when our leadership group is respected by the players!!! They follow!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

If Saffold can prove to stay healthy, I hope he's our RT for a long time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

It's their expectation.

It was also their expectation that Jackson and Amendola stick around for a long time. I dunno, gents. There's always a chance that Saffold will remain a RT for the rest of his career, but I kinda doubt that's part of his 10 year plan.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

The Dude said:
It's their expectation.

It was also their expectation that Jackson and Amendola stick around for a long time. I dunno, gents. There's always a chance that Saffold will remain a RT for the rest of his career, but I kinda doubt that's part of his 10 year plan.

Yeah, I don't see it happening either.

If he stays healthy, someone will throw more money at him than we can afford to invest.

We'll need to develop someone for next year, or it will be a part of our 2014 draft strategy.

iced

Rams not interested in trading saffold

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5856/rodger-saffold" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5856/rodger-saffold</a>
The National Football Post's Dan Pompei reports the Rams are not interested in trading RT Rodger Saffold.

Saffold, a 35-game starter at left tackle, was initially disgruntled with his move to right tackle after the Jake Long signing. Things have reportedly "calmed down," and that showed with Saffold's decision to report to voluntary workouts. Pompei adds that the "expectation" is Saffold will be a Ram for a "long time."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-1760.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP ... witterfeed</a>
*With the 16th and 22nd pick in the first round, the Rams are in prime position to make a draft day deal. And they are interested, both in moving up and potentially moving down. What they are not interested in doing is dealing Roger Saffold. The offensive tackle was rumored to be disgruntled after being moved to right tackle from left, but things have calmed down now. The expectation inside the organization is Saffold will be a part of the team for a long time.

A55VA6

Legend

I honestly feel besides the main top guns, Fisher and Snead want to clear house and add their own players.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Plain and simply, he is going to have to play for that next contract. If he shows a great ability on the right side and the ability to stay on the field, he'll get a good second contract - maybe even from the Rams - maybe from a team that sees him as a top LT. In the end, we see if he is worth investing in while we have time to address RT if need be.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

RamFan503 said:
Plain and simply, he is going to have to play for that next contract. If he shows a great ability on the right side and the ability to stay on the field, he'll get a good second contract - maybe even from the Rams - maybe from a team that sees him as a top LT. In the end, we see if he is worth investing in while we have time to address RT if need be.

Agree, and even if someone like Fluker is available to us... why not get one more year out of Saffold and deal with the situation next year?

Unless, of course, they fear he's just get injured at some point.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

Agree, and even if someone like Fluker is available to us... why not get one more year out of Saffold and deal with the situation next year?

Have you SEEN this guy? I'm not sure we want someone this ugly on the team. :7up:

260701696001_1789865691001_vs-502da41cb02fb0e45e4aef08-1464912384001.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend

The Dude said:
It's their expectation.

Better to be a RT on a championship team than a LT on a bottom dweller.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

bluecoconuts said:
The Dude said:
It's their expectation.

Better to be a RT on a championship team than a LT on a bottom dweller.
Agreed, there's nothing like success and WINNING to sooth the savage beast. I still think that if the Rams have a winning season and Saffold is successful on the RT side, he'll realize he's in the best situation. Wasn't he originally drafted as a RT to begin with?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RamFan503 said:
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

Have you SEEN this guy? I'm not sure we want someone this ugly on the team. :7up:

Why not? He could be our lovable giant.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5CLemHHb_Y[/youtube]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

The Dude said:
RamFan503 said:
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

Why not? He could be our lovable giant.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5CLemHHb_Y[/youtube]

Heh heh

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

If Rodger Saffold is truly fully back in the RamFold there are many 2013 Ram benefits with RS playing & starting either of the Ram current open starting posts @ OLG or ORT. We have discussed the unknown here that No Body No One has ever seen Rodger play the right side Not in HS not in College nor in the NFL. However we do know that RS when healthy can be a very good left side starter. I would prefer to see RS start @ the OLG post next to Jake to form one of the best OLT/OLG tandems in the NFL. Thus giving Sam some super blind side protection.

OLG's are getting ORT contract money right now. Issue is Rams have several true OLG candidates in Shelley Smith who started 6 games last yr, Snead & Fisher 2012 5th rd. selection OL'er Rok Watkins & Valued OLG Brandon Washington. The biggest concern is at Right Tackle. If RS can remain healthy this season he could earn a decent contract extension offer but if he continues to have the same bad luck he has had the last two seasons....well I strongly suggest to Snead & Fisher better get your insurance OL who can fill the RS slotted responsibilities. I see two major roles that RS will shoulder in 2013 for Fisher. First-Starting ORT 2nd- is the Rams most important reserve to Jake Long @ OLT. Without a healthy RS on the Rams 2013 active roster this team is in serious trouble. RS knows this too. If I was Snead & Fisher I would not be interested in trading RS either.

So when you review the other Ram OT cadre in Nsekhe & Barksdale along with Long & RS past injury history ...a young healthy talented OT is a need. I am not in favor of going with just Long- Saffold- Barksdale & Nsekhe in 2013 as suggested above. I still believe that a selection of Bama's DJ Fluker with the #22 first round pick is a small reach. I see where he has moved into the top 15 in many mock drafts. Any NFL team having a Sam Bradford as your staring QB does not need a DJ Fluker. Sorry but the truth hurts he appears to be a much bigger stronger Barry Richardson problem is DJ Fluker's feet may not be as good as Richardson's. Thus I would pass and look more @ swing OT in Menelik Watson who is seriously lacking in technical skills but has natural God given talent plus I hear Tom Nutten has been working with Menelik. If the Rams want a clone of RS type talent and size then Dallas Thomas with the #46 pick would be in order.

I still consider it questionable that both RS & JL remain healthy for a complete season when considering their history. I also consider it doubtful that the Rams will offer RS a acceptable contract due to a three out of four NFL injury history. Add that RS will be looking for a OLT starting post in 2014. So to all the ROD'ers thinking RS will be here after 2014 :swoon: ? Ram better get a OT now & not wait things may be worse next yr for OT's never know.