Dan Fouts on Bradford's future.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think most have suggested a win/win with incentives being a big part of the extension while living up to the contract. He was working for the Rams when he got injured after all. Anyway, that would qualify as good faith AND likely make negotiations work more smoothly.

to big of a risk imo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Schottenheimer as OC with Assistant Head Coach / OLine coach Bill Callahan's rushing attack.

And the running game was the key. Callahan's has taken his talents to Dallas now and voila.
I dont know man, Callahan was still there when the team took a nose dive rushing as well. Not sure I can credit Callahan for the success and shoulder Shottenheimer with the blame. Shotty called some great games in the playoffs with Sanchez as his QB, and believe me I'm no fan of either. But after watching those games, I had to give credit where credit was due.
Also of note, I wouldnt exactly say "voila" with Callahan, as he was the OC in 2012 and 2013 when the Cowboys werent exactly the rushing team they are today.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I dont know man, Callahan was still there when the team took a nose dive rushing as well. Not sure I can credit Callahan for the success and shoulder Shottenheimer with the blame. Shotty called some great games in the playoffs with Sanchez as his QB, and believe me I'm no fan of either. But after watching those games, I had to give credit where credit was due.
Also of note, I wouldnt exactly say "voila" with Callahan, as he was the OC in 2012 and 2013 when the Cowboys werent exactly the rushing team they are today.

I didn't shoulder Schottenheimer with any blame in New York outside of his abandoning the running game at times. I just gave credit to Callahan's running game. But, I will offer this tidbit on Callahan's last season in New York. The defense declined a bit, they didn't have a one-two punch to go with Greene as Tomlinson was done, and most importantly they mistakenly attempted to do more in the passing game than what they ever did before with Sanchez at QB.

In Dallas, they didn't truly commit to running the football until this season. And this even though they were averaging 4.5 yard a carry even in 2013.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I'm worried about the QB position. It's the major missing piece right now to being contenders in a big way. I know SB has the arm and experience to be the guy but I just don't trust that knee. He was hardly tapped and it blew out on him again. It's not going to be more durable now after another surgery IMO. They trotted him out their to soon last time and if they are shooting for a game one start, I think it will be repeating the same mistake. He needs more than a year of rehab probably. Even if he could be 100% physically he still has not played in a real football game now for almost 2 years. I don't think SB is the answer to start the year.

I think the best bet to start the year at least is going to be Hill. Then maybe SB replaces him at some point during the season.

That's a pretty solid plan. Enter the year with Hill, Bradford and a talented rookie.

Start Hill to give Bradford extra time to heal. Have Bradford take over around Week 6.

If Bradford doesn't play well or is injured again, we can go back to Hill (if we're still in the hunt) or the rookie (if we're not in the hunt) and cut him after the season.

And we'll enter 2016 ready to start the rookie we drafted in 2015.

Of course, this is assuming he's willing to restructure. If not, it's bye bye Bradford IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't shoulder Schottenheimer with any blame in New York outside of his abandoning the running game at times. I just gave credit to Callahan's running game. But, I will offer this tidbit on Callahan's last season in New York. The defense declined a bit, they didn't have a one-two punch to go with Greene as Tomlinson was done, and most importantly they mistakenly attempted to do more in the passing game than what they ever did before with Sanchez at QB.

In Dallas, they didn't truly commit to running the football until this season. And this even though they were averaging 4.5 yard a carry even in 2013.
So when the Jets had running talent, they ran the ball more and more effectively, and when the they didnt have the running talent, they ran less, and passed more and actually scored more points per game. Seems to me that the OC changed gears because of the talent he had to work with.
I think Callahan is a decent coach, but I think giving him the credit for the Jets success is an excuse to not credit Shottenheimer.
As it pertains to the original thought here, was that while the OC of the Jets in 2009 when Sanchez was a rookie, Shotty did run an offense geared towards the runnng game, and was successful. The way this team is built, and the Rams drafted a guy they like for their system, I could see it work well enough to make a playoff run with the Rook at QB if need be

Memphis Ram

Legend
So when the Jets had running talent, they ran the ball more and more effectively, and when the they didnt have the running talent, they ran less, and passed more and actually scored more points per game. Seems to me that the OC changed gears because of the talent he had to work with.
I think Callahan is a decent coach, but I think giving him the credit for the Jets success is an excuse to not credit Shottenheimer.
As it pertains to the original thought here, was that while the OC of the Jets in 2009 when Sanchez was a rookie, Shotty did run an offense geared towards the runnng game, and was successful. The way this team is built, and the Rams drafted a guy they like for their system, I could see it work well enough to make a playoff run with the Rook at QB if need be

First of all, I gave Assistant Head Coach/ Oline coach, Bill Callahan credit for the Jets rushing attack which helps a rookie QB tremendously. From what I read, he was the running game coordinator. And I also read and heard how Ryan had to dial Schottenhiemer back toward the run via his play calls from time to time. But, despite all of that, I give Rex Ryan and the Jets defense credit for the Jets overall success.

On that note, overall they only scored 8-10 more more points while having a shorter time of possession when the offense changed gears. And that gear change began even before they took the field that last year as they felt they had to conform to the league and win on the arm of the QB more in order to take the next step. It was in all the papers.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First of all, I gave Assistant Head Coach/ Oline coach, Bill Callahan credit for the Jets rushing attack which helps a rookie QB tremendously. From what I read, he was the running game coordinator. And I also read and heard how Ryan had to dial Schottenhiemer back toward the run via his play calls from time to time. But, despite all of that, I give Rex Ryan and the Jets defense credit for the Jets overall success.

On that note, overall they only scored 8-10 more more points while having a shorter time of possession when the offense changed gears. And that gear change began even before they took the field that last year as they felt they had to conform to the league and win on the arm of the QB more in order to take the next step. It was in all the papers.
Memphis, I don't desire to argue over it. Mostly because I agree with a lot of what you say about Shotty and his +/- I live in the NY area and am well versed in the Ryan/Shotty/Sanchez drama. And it was just that. Ryan didn't dial back the offense, he turned his back on it and let Shotty have free reign. They made ridiculous player moves that didn't for but since they were winning nobody noticed. Until they stopped winning.
We can just agree to disagree on Callahan impact.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My wife has been a physical therapist for over 36 years and has rehabbed tons of ACL and MCL injuries. I ran Sam Bradford's knee injury history by her, and how it happened, and asked her about the possibility of him being able to play again. She said it's possible but rare that there won't be a recurrence.

I tore the same achilles tendon twice before I was 18 playing soccer and never had that problem again, so anything's possible. Here's hoping that SB can recover and stay healthy.

I read that the chance of him tearing it again is a lot higher than "normal" so as a GM you have to assume that is likely going to happen playing football, it's just a matter of when and what Plan B you have in place when it happens.

That isn't a place the Rams or other teams are going to pay a lot of money to be in.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Where's the risk in a play-get-paid contract?
Yep. Not sure what people think we would actually get for 2015-16 +? by paying less. No risk there for sure.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Memphis, I don't desire to argue over it. Mostly because I agree with a lot of what you say about Shotty and his +/- I live in the NY area and am well versed in the Ryan/Shotty/Sanchez drama. And it was just that. Ryan didn't dial back the offense, he turned his back on it and let Shotty have free reign. They made ridiculous player moves that didn't for but since they were winning nobody noticed. Until they stopped winning.
We can just agree to disagree on Callahan impact.

I can agree to disagree on Callahan's impact.

But, I just can't help but to take note that the Rams rushing attack with Schottenhiemer hasn't come anywhere close to what the Jets had in 2009-2010 with Schottenhiemer AND Callahan.

fancents86

Starter
Not trying to start a fight but ... I don't think Davis will ever improve much more than what he's already shown.
No fight to be started, we all got opinions, and you could be very well right. I think we all saw the change he made from preseason til when he started. He started to fall off at the end, but our oline wasn't helping him any. I don't think Hill is much of an improvement over him and he's Deff not bad for a third stringer, ya know.

reggae

I'm worried about the QB position. It's the major missing piece right now to being contenders in a big way. I know SB has the arm and experience to be the guy but I just don't trust that knee. He was hardly tapped and it blew out on him again. It's not going to be more durable now after another surgery IMO. They trotted him out their to soon last time and if they are shooting for a game one start, I think it will be repeating the same mistake. He needs more than a year of rehab probably. Even if he could be 100% physically he still has not played in a real football game now for almost 2 years. I don't think SB is the answer to start the year.

I think the best bet to start the year at least is going to be Hill. Then maybe SB replaces him at some point during the season.
Actually, it could very well be more durable depending on the location of the tear

BadCompany

Rookie
That's a pretty solid plan. Enter the year with Hill, Bradford and a talented rookie.

Start Hill to give Bradford extra time to heal. Have Bradford take over around Week 6.

If Bradford doesn't play well or is injured again, we can go back to Hill (if we're still in the hunt) or the rookie (if we're not in the hunt) and cut him after the season.

And we'll enter 2016 ready to start the rookie we drafted in 2015.

Of course, this is assuming he's willing to restructure. If not, it's bye bye Bradford IMO.

What happens if Hill starts off 2-4 though? You'd then need Bradford to go 8-2 just to even have a sniff at making the playoffs.

This team CANNOT get off to a bad start next year. It just can't. For a whole lot of reasons both on and off the field. I don't know what they are going to do, but they NEED to get off to a great start next season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What happens if Hill starts off 2-4 though? You'd then need Bradford to go 8-2 just to even have a sniff at making the playoffs.

This team CANNOT get off to a bad start next year. It just can't. For a whole lot of reasons both on and off the field. I don't know what they are going to do, but they NEED to get off to a great start next season.

Bad starts every year kill the Rams chances. They never seem ready out of the gate.

StevenG-BR

Rookie

Agree we need fast start. But having Bradford out there doesn't guarantee that we start fast (see 2011, 2012, 2013). So we might as well make sure he's 100%.

If he's at that point, where his knee has its healing & more time won't make a difference, then yeah... Go ahead and play him.