Dan Fouts on Bradford's future.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I kinda wish he would have taken the time to evaluate Bradford the QB in addition to Bradford the contract. But yeah, this is what a majority of Rams fans think as well. I'm 100% on board with Bradford playing next year, but I do want a contingency behind *Hill*. Because, let's face it, we're not going to get a rookie in the draft to come in and click with these receivers while simultaneously absorbing the entire playbook to the point of perfect execution.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I kinda wish he would have taken the time to evaluate Bradford the QB in addition to Bradford the contract. But yeah, this is what a majority of Rams fans think as well. I'm 100% on board with Bradford playing next year, but I do want a contingency behind *Hill*. Because, let's face it, we're not going to get a rookie in the draft to come in and click with these receivers while simultaneously absorbing the entire playbook to the point of perfect execution.
^^^This

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not worried about Bradford's knee. I am worried however how Sam will favor that knee thus leading him to injure something else or just be timid. Of course none of that will be known until he plays

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Even if we drafted a rookie in the 1st round, there are always growing pains with those guys. There will be some interceptions thrown, and it will cost us some games. Even if we let Bradford go, I'd rather have Hill starting the season than a rookie.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Would have been nice, but I can see how it's difficult to separate. Given the time he's missed and there being no recent film, it would probably be difficult for him to render an opinion.

BTW, I believe that a rookie could start and play well in a new offense that took advantage of his strengths. But, since Schottenhiemer probably won't get any head coaching jobs, I agree with you.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I'm worried about the QB position. It's the major missing piece right now to being contenders in a big way. I know SB has the arm and experience to be the guy but I just don't trust that knee. He was hardly tapped and it blew out on him again. It's not going to be more durable now after another surgery IMO. They trotted him out their to soon last time and if they are shooting for a game one start, I think it will be repeating the same mistake. He needs more than a year of rehab probably. Even if he could be 100% physically he still has not played in a real football game now for almost 2 years. I don't think SB is the answer to start the year.

I think the best bet to start the year at least is going to be Hill. Then maybe SB replaces him at some point during the season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would have been nice, but I can see how it's difficult to separate. Given the time he's missed and there being no recent film, it would probably be difficult for him to render an opinion.

BTW, I believe that a rookie could start and play well in a new offense that took advantage of his strengths. But, since Schottenhiemer probably won't get any head coaching jobs, I agree with you.
And yet, with Shottenheimer as OC, the Jets made it to the AFC championship game with a rookie QB. The Rams D is better than that team and it remains to be seen if they can run the ball as well....

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Cut Davis and draft a mid round QB. Retain Hill and Sam, problem solved. No reason to make things complicated, guys.

Memphis Ram

Legend
And yet, with Shottenheimer as OC, the Jets made it to the AFC championship game with a rookie QB. The Rams D is better than that team and it remains to be seen if they can run the ball as well....

Schottenheimer as OC with Assistant Head Coach / OLine coach Bill Callahan's rushing attack.

And the running game was the key. Callahan's has taken his talents to Dallas now and voila.

Athos

Legend

Yep. Barring a miracle, Sam is our only shot at the playoffs. Even if we are able to draft Mariota, he won't be good enough as a rookie. He's not Luck.

But yep, we need a solid contingency plan for the future.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Schottenheimer as OC with Assistant Head Coach / OLine coach Bill Callahan's rushing attack.

And the running game was the key. Callahan's has taken his talents to Dallas now and voila.

But Callahan is in the last year of his contact and would be available. He would be one of my choices for offensive coordinator so I am still holding out hope the Schottenheimer will go back to college either as Head Coach or maybe as a coordinator at his Alma mater.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm worried about the QB position. It's the major missing piece right now to being contenders in a big way. I know SB has the arm and experience to be the guy but I just don't trust that knee. He was hardly tapped and it blew out on him again. It's not going to be more durable now after another surgery IMO. They trotted him out their to soon last time and if they are shooting for a game one start, I think it will be repeating the same mistake. He needs more than a year of rehab probably. Even if he could be 100% physically he still has not played in a real football game now for almost 2 years. I don't think SB is the answer to start the year.

I think the best bet to start the year at least is going to be Hill. Then maybe SB replaces him at some point during the season.

That's not a bad plan at all. I almost think if you go that route you need another Vet behind Hill in case he goes down so you're not forced to play Braford too early. Too early to tell though.

The very last thing i would want is a rookie who has to start during next season. This is a team that can win week in and week out if they just don't turn the ball over.

Athos

Legend

Yea. That rushing attack put up a crazy 21 TDs and 2,714 yards.

In comparison, we currently have 1418 yards and 10 TDs on the ground. Just under half the production for yards and half the TD production.

Memphis Ram

Legend
But Callahan is in the last year of his contact and would be available. He would be one of my choices for offensive coordinator so I am still holding out hope the Schottenheimer will go back to college either as Head Coach or maybe as a coordinator at his Alma mater.

Not so sure about Callahan as OC. That is, not unless he was capable of implementing some of Gus Malzahn's offense.;)

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Yea. That rushing attack put up a crazy 21 TDs and 2,714 yards.

In comparison, we currently have 1418 yards and 10 TDs on the ground. Just under half the production for yards and half the TD production.
The Jets were playing with HoF RB in LT as well as a rock solid O-line.
I like the mix of Mason and Cunningham, but they aren't quite at LT's level yet. And we're lacking a Nick Mangold at C. I'm willing to wager that even Davin Joseph would look pretty solid if he had circa 2010 Nick Mangold holding his hand out there.

I think the Rams have to be pot committed to Bradford at this point. I still believe they'll work an extension at a reduced price. There just aren't other options for next year. I'd have to guess he'll be a spectator until the regular season begins with Hill/Davis taking all the work. I can envision a scenario where they punt on the QB position until 2016.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Jets were playing with HoF RB in LT as well as a rock solid O-line.
I like the mix of Mason and Cunningham, but they aren't quite at LT's level yet. And we're lacking a Nick Mangold at C. I'm willing to wager that even Davin Joseph would look pretty solid if he had circa 2010 Nick Mangold holding his hand out there.

I'm almost sure LT got there the following season. During Sanchez rookie season the bellcows were Thomas Jones and rookie Shonn Greene.