Dad is about to pass from stage 4 small cell lung cancer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STLRam

UDFA
Dad wasn’t felling well and got diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer on July 5th. He started immediate chemotherapy and did 3 rounds of it before we had to call it off. The chemo destroyed his body to the point where he couldn’t walk and he was hospitalized probably 80% of the time...not from the cancer, but directly from the chemo. He got numerous infections and got pneumonia twice. He was finally healthy enough to get a pet scan 2 weeks ago and it turns out he was one of the 10% of people that didn’t respond to chemo...

Anyway, it’s been about 3 months now and about a week ago was the last actual conversation I got to have with him. At this point he can’t talk, can’t walk, and is basically in a coma but moves around and tries to talk every few hours but we can’t understand what he’s saying.

This past week has just been so extremely sad for my mom and I, especially because I’ve never been around a cancer patient before. I never knew the true wrath that cancer deals to someone. I’m only 24 with no brothers and sisters so the only people I truly care about in this world are my mom and dad and one of them is about to be ripped apart from my mom and I.

On the bright side of things, a local bar owner hosted a fundraiser for my dad. We live in a small town of about 1,500 people in central Missouri. My dad and I used to always go down to our local bar on Fridays and Saturdays to listen to whichever local band was playing and we got to know the owner really well. She ended up having a benefit for my dad, hosting a silent auction and selling raffle tickets for anyone who wanted to donate something to the raffle.

She ended up raising over $20,000 for my mom and I in our little town. It’s unbelievable. I know my dad would be estatic if he was able comprehend it.

If anyone one of you know someone who has cancer, talk to them and comfort them as soon as you can. People who have visited my dad have meant a lot to him. I just wish I realized how quick this disease would take him away.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Man.

FUCK cancer.

Sorry you have to experience that pain of watching someone close to you wither away like that. Been there too, and it's the worst because you're both powerless. Wish I had the words, man, but I have only one.

Sorry.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Sorry to hear this @STLRam. Awful news.

Good advice at the end of that post. I know since Scots Ram posted the thread about his mom, I've tried to treat my weekly visits to my parents' house as less of a duty and more of a chance to appreciate spending time with them.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Sorry to hear it @STLRam. I'm sure you're dad was trying to tell you and mom thanks for being with him during his battle.

Cancer is horrible, I witnessed my mom from being a very happy, smiling person to someone in a constant state of sleep (that's how her body reacted to two rounds of chemo).

Your family is in my thoughts today.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
My thoughts are with you brother. We've worked through a couple bouts of cancer in the last few years and it is painful. Hoping for the best for you and your family.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
@STLRam - My heart breaks for you and your mom. Your dad as well. Praying that God will envelope you and your family in His grace, mercy, love, and strength. As @-X- said above, they are no words really. Certainly none that I know of... So sorry to hear this...

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Praying that God will envelope you and your family in His grace, mercy, love, and strength.
@STLRam so sorry you and your mom are hurting so much. My prayer is that your dad knows the love of Jesus, and as RedRam so aptly put it, God envelopes your family with love and healing and peace as he walks with you through this tough season. Much love brother.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Lost my Dad to lung cancer 13 years ago on Halloween.

Lost my brother in law to lung cancer in July.

A cruel, hateful illness.

All blessings to you and your family

STLRam

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He just passed about 3 hours ago. Even saw him take his last breath. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing to witness. Rest in peace dad.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He just passed about 3 hours ago. Even saw him take his last breath. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing to witness. Rest in peace dad.
Sorry, man. Really.

I'd say it's a good thing that you were there for that.
As his soul left that vessel to head for a better place, he saw you there.
Probably gave you a hug before he left too.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So sorry to hear that Brother.
I believe it's a good thing that he past, with the people he loved the most by his side.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Having witnessed my mom's last breath, I have an idea of how you're feeling. Yet, I cannot express that feeling. At some point in the future, you're going to be thankful and glad that you were there. I'm so sorry for your loss.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I am so sorry for you loss. I lost my mom a couple weeks ago and it was really tough, but I was there when she took her last breath. It's been a tough couple years losing both my parents. I wish you and your family all the love and peace during this difficult time.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Sorry to hear this @STLRam and likewise to you @MTRamsFan.

Haven't experienced the loss of a parent but I'd imagine being there for their last breath will provide some comfort in the future if not necessarily now. They will have known you were there with them until the very end and no one can ever take that from you.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So sorry for your loss!

I've lived on this earth for over 60 years now and seen far too many stricken down by cancer way too young.

It's a horrible disease and I urge everyone to donate to any number of causes that fight cancer (there are a lot of them and not all pass a high percentage to the actual research - too much goes to admin expenses).

Prayers to you and your mom.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Dad wasn’t felling well and got diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer on July 5th. He started immediate chemotherapy and did 3 rounds of it before we had to call it off. The chemo destroyed his body to the point where he couldn’t walk and he was hospitalized probably 80% of the time...not from the cancer, but directly from the chemo. He got numerous infections and got pneumonia twice. He was finally healthy enough to get a pet scan 2 weeks ago and it turns out he was one of the 10% of people that didn’t respond to chemo...

Anyway, it’s been about 3 months now and about a week ago was the last actual conversation I got to have with him. At this point he can’t talk, can’t walk, and is basically in a coma but moves around and tries to talk every few hours but we can’t understand what he’s saying.

This past week has just been so extremely sad for my mom and I, especially because I’ve never been around a cancer patient before. I never knew the true wrath that cancer deals to someone. I’m only 24 with no brothers and sisters so the only people I truly care about in this world are my mom and dad and one of them is about to be ripped apart from my mom and I.

On the bright side of things, a local bar owner hosted a fundraiser for my dad. We live in a small town of about 1,500 people in central Missouri. My dad and I used to always go down to our local bar on Fridays and Saturdays to listen to whichever local band was playing and we got to know the owner really well. She ended up having a benefit for my dad, hosting a silent auction and selling raffle tickets for anyone who wanted to donate something to the raffle.

She ended up raising over $20,000 for my mom and I in our little town. It’s unbelievable. I know my dad would be estatic if he was able comprehend it.

If anyone one of you know someone who has cancer, talk to them and comfort them as soon as you can. People who have visited my dad have meant a lot to him. I just wish I realized how quick this disease would take him away.
I watched helplessly as my Father passed away from Cancer! I know what your going through! My Deepest Sympathy to you and your Family!!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Sorry for your loss man. I lost my dad back in February and my mom two years ago May. Praying for you.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

My condolences and prayers to you and your family.

My mom has a real bad case of recurring cancer and is in her 2 round of chemo. I live 1000 miles away from her and pray that if this happens I am able to be next to her. Being there is a blessing for sure.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Frigg. My heartfelt condolences to you and your mother/family.

Thank you for sharing. Some good DOES come from bad, if we want to do something with it.

You've probably inspired a few people here to share a heartfelt thought or hug to a loved one. That's a small thing. But good.