D-Lineman Matt Longacre Continues to Shine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
GW253H171

After 2 Preseason Games, Matt Longacre Continues to Shine vs the Chiefs. Number 96 is bolting up the depth chart and making a case that his 2015 rise to the active roster was anything but a fluke.

Longacre has been the most consistent Defensive Lineman in the Rams first 2 preseason games with his nonstop motor and the relentless quarterback pressures that he continues to add on his resume.

Unless he bottoms out the next two games, he's likely to crack Jeff Fisher's 2016 (53) man Roster. I know just about every one of us ROD members are in Longacre's corner and would be a bit stunned if he's not in the regular season D-Line rotation.

Bottom Line: This man is just a pure football player and the more of his type you have on your NFL Roster the better your team will be. I salute Mr. Longacre for another old-school, blue collar, smash mouth performance.

temp_RT11343--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

#96 DE MATT LONGACRE 6'3 261 lbs (Turns 25 on 09/21/2016)

2015 Rams.... Total Tackles... 11... Solo..... 7.. Int.. 0.. Sacks... 0
NWM.State.... Total Tackles.. 148.. Solo.. 64.. Int.. 0.. Sacks.. 26

Aug 15, 2016: PFF: That’s why when a second-year undrafted rookie from Northwest Missouri puts on a clinic in the first half against Dallas, some eyes start to open. In fact, DE Matt Longacre collected the highest pass-rushing grade and run-defense grade of any NFL edge defender in Week 1 of the preseason. In 36 snaps, he recorded two hits and three hurries.

V0015904973--772706.JPG

IRVINE — The top-end talent of stars Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn isn't the only reason why the defensive line is the Los Angeles Rams' strongest positional group.

http://www.vcstar.com/sports/longac...79-a3cc-1123-e053-0100007f4798-390363771.html

Aug. 16, 2016: The depth the team has amassed at the position extends way down the depth chart.
Just look at Saturday's 28-24 preseason win over the Dallas Cowboys at the Coliseum.

While third-string quarterback Sean Mannion has received deserved credit for directing the Rams' comeback win, the performance from a teammate on the other side of the ball also earned praise nationally.

Pro Football Focus senior analyst Mike Renner labeled the Rams' defensive line the biggest winner of the first week of the preseason, due to the play of second-year defensive end Matt Longacre.

"The rich get richer," Renner wrote. "The Rams already figure to have one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. … That's why when a second-year undrafted rookie from Northwest Missouri puts on a clinic in the first half against Dallas, some eyes start to open."

PFF gave Longacre, who had three quarterback hurries and two hits, "the best pass-rushing grade and run-defense grade of any NFL edge defender in Week 1 of the preseason."

Longacre called the Coliseum "a great environment" and was pleased with the fans and the comeback.

"It kind of stunk being down early, but we fought back," Longacre said. "Everything kind of started clicking and it started to roll."

Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufle said during OTAs that Longacre was part of a good young group at his position. "Longacre has a lot of upside," Waufle said.

Adjustments Longacre began to make on his pass-rushing technique in Oxnard are paying off during training camp at UC Irvine.

"Last year was very inconsistent," Longacre said. "This year, it's kind of coming together, starting in OTAs (by) kind of changing some things up. Just feeling more comfortable up there reading run and pass and when it is pass, being able to get a good rush off."

The 6-foot-3, 260-pound defensive end went undrafted a year ago out of Northwest Missouri State, but he found his way onto the Rams practice squad and played in the final five games of last season.

"I'm kind of approaching it the same way as I did last year," Longacre said. "I've got to produce every day and take it one day at a time,

"It was great having the experience last year, played in five games in the regular season. It was a nice steppingstone. This year, (I'm trying) to pick up last year where I left off."

He's currently listed as fourth string on the depth chart, behind Quinton Coples, who the Rams signed as a free agent from the Jets. Longacre said being a Rams defensive lineman means competing "with the best of the best" on a daily basis.

"It's awesome," Longacre said. "I couldn't really ask to be in a better room. We've got some really good players in that room. You can pick up things on stuff that they do and try to incorporate it in your game. The best in the league are in that that room and the little things can help."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-2016-cheat-sheet-los-angeles-rams/
Aug 21, 2016 Rams Cheat Sheet (PFF) by Nathan Jahnke

Breakout player watch

Matt Longacre, DE

Year after year, the Rams have fielded a deep defensive-line rotation, and this season could be their best yet.
With Chris Long no longer on the roster, there is an opportunity for Matt Longacre to earn more playing time. As an undrafted rookie, Longacre was PFF’s third-highest-graded 4-3 DE last preseason, thanks in part to his five hits and five hurries.

On just 67 pass-rushing snaps in the regular season, he earned a 7.8 pass-rushing productivity mark—higher than Chris Long, Robert Quinn, and Eugene Sims. Longacre had an excellent start to the 2016 preseason with two hits and three hurries on 22 pass rushes against the Cowboys. The Rams’ pass rush was already scary enough with their starters, but being able to rotate a player like Longacre in makes the front-seven even more dangerous.

Projected lineups

Base defense (2015 season grades shown)

Screen-Shot-2016-08-19-at-1.43.40-PM.png

Base offense (2015 season grades shown)

Screen-Shot-2016-08-19-at-1.51.11-PM.png

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-de-matt-longacre-finding-his-place-with-rams
Nov 25, 2015: Longacre's promotion to the active roster probably didn't qualify as a big deal in league circles. Faced with injuries to ends Robert Quinn and Chris Long, the Rams needed more depth at the position and Longacre was the best in-house option. He'd been a pleasant surprise in training camp and the offseason program, making a case to stick on the roster in the last round of cuts before falling victim to the numbers game at the position that was probably the Rams' greatest strength entering the season.

Finally, after a few weeks of what ifs and maybes with defensive line coach Mike Waufle, promoted Longacre on the Friday before the Nov. 8 game against Minnesota. Rams coach Jeff Fisher informed Longacre of the promotion before the team's walkthrough that day. Longacre played 24 snaps against the Vikings, posting four tackles. When Quinn returned the following week, Longacre was inactive but he was back on the gameday roster last week against Baltimore. In that game, Longacre played 25 snaps and had three tackles and two quarterback hits.

In the process, Longacre impressed Fisher. "Yeah, Matt's getting pressure on the quarterback and he's reading the run really well and he's playing the run really well," Fisher said. "He's making plays. So, he's hard to move and he's instinctive. Really, it's the same thing he did in the preseason. He's been very productive, so it's good that we were able to bring him up."

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...imbing-a-steep-hill-with-st-louis-rams-062915
Jun 29, 2015: No Combine invite. Little contact from NFL teams. He knew the knocks against him: smaller school (he went to Northwest Missouri State, a Division II program that won a national championship in 2013), shorter-than-desirable arm length for his 6-foot-3 frame, a horrible showing in the 40-yard dash his junior day. When scouts came the following fall, they queried him about that number.

"What's up with this?" Longacre remembers them saying. "You caught me on a bad day," he told them. It was true.The day Longacre ran, the team had already done all their workouts that week. They'd maxed out. His body felt dead even before he lined up.

But here, at least, was a weakness he could do something about. That spring, at his Pro Day, he made up for the lackluster performance his junior year. According to ChiefsDigest.com, Longacre put up a 4.75 in the 40-yard dash, which, compared with the numbers put up by defensive linemen at the NFL Combine this year, tied for fifth best. He also finished the season as his conference's Defensive Player of the Year.

http://bearcatsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1838
2014: NW Missiouri State MIAA Defensive Player of the Year. AFCA All-America. Daktronics Super Region 3 Defensive Player of the Year and First Team. Don Hansen All-Region First Team. All-MIAA First Team. MIAA Academic Honor Roll. Appeared in 11 games on the year, had 37 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 7.0 sacks, 17 quarterback hurries, four pass breakups and one forced fumble.

2013: Don Hansen co-Defensive Player of the Year and First Team All-America (DE)… AP Little First Team All-America. Daktronics/CoSIDA First Team All-America. First Team All-MIAA.. Finished the season with 20.5 tackles for a loss of a total 120 yards, 19 quarterback hurries, 12 sacks, five forced fumbles and one fumble recovery

2012: Appeared and started all 13 games for the Bearcats in 2012 … named all-MIAA honorable mention … finished the year with 51 tackles, nine tackles for loss, seven sacks and seven quarterback hurries. Recorded a tackle in every game and had 11 multi-tackle performances.

Nov 6, 2015: Dani Interview with Matt Longacre
View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/One-On-One-with-Matt-Longacre/a1fe8e78-1704-4d41-8634-135c85f89add

BeachRam78

Rookie
Name
john
This guy Longacre remind me a lot of Chris Long. High motor guy that plays with alot of energy and emotion.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Matt Longacre has been getting his props in this Rams forum for a long time now. While I can say that the DL cadre has some good young talent in it we also have seen it manhandled in the first two pre season games. Snead has 6 new DL'er's that have been added in here.

DL'er's pre season trending upward (y)in performance's would be:
#1- DT Dominique Easley 24-3 6-2/285lbs
#2- LDE Matt Longacre 24-2 6-3/260lbs
#3- RDE Ian Seau 22/R 6-2/256lbs
#4-NT Cam Thomas 29-7 6-4/380pluslbs

DL'er's in TC & pre season trending downward (n)in performance would be:
#1-DT- Quinton Coples 27-5 6-6/295lbs:palm:
#2-LDE- Eugene Sims 30-7 6-6/270lbso_O

I sure would like to see more of DT's Morgan Fox & Zach Colvin but time is running out on them both could be practice squad members. The big question YET to be answered here is on all pro RDE- Rob Quinn. Using the past working NFL/college history & this 2016 training Camp & half way through the pre season If I were to make the call for the Rams 9 man DL it would look like this:

RDE-Quinn/Seau
DT-Donald/Easley
NT-Brockers/Thomas
LDE-Hayes/Longacre/Westbrooks

Thomas would be #9 DL @ this point & things could change for him fast. I not going to let pass rusher Ian Seau play for another NFL team like the 9ers where they would use him in their 34 defense & watch him terrorize our QB twice a season. Veterans Sims & Coples & their near 17 million price tag for their services for the next few seasons can be saved to sign our dozen or so UFA's in 2017....so let these two be easy releases.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with your depth chart Boni.
Easely and Longacre are must keeps for depth. Thomas can hold his ground and did some work collapsing the pocket vs KC.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Longacre reminds me of a slightly smaller Jared Allen. He's more twichty than Chris Long was. 2 outta 3 plays he is beating his guy. Once he learns how to finish and close the corner I could see him being a 6-8 sack guy in a heavy rotation. He could be the new Hayes who provides that juice off the bench with little to no drop in production. Just another fresh body to get after the QB. Whatever the Rams lack at WR, they make up for it at DE.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If I were to make the call for the Rams 9 man DL it would look like this:RDE-Quinn/Seau...
Yea....I like this, but no way in hell do both Seau & Longacre make the 53...Longacre has an outside chance...I need to see Seau vs the 1's.....But Longacre, man he's outperformed almost every lineman...It seems something woke Donald up last night...And Coples has had 2 ooh-wee plays in 2 games...Somehow he's gonna make the team...I know he hates playing DT....maybe it will make him play like Westbrooks. Another good problem to have. Nice O Line, nice RB's....Nice D-Line...when are the LB's & DB's gonna wake up?

Great post Flo-RIDA! Curious if you're gonna do DB's? I know who stud out for me....

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Great to see all the young talent on the DL. As other have said, this might make older guys like Sims expendable if his play does not improve. Same with Coples. Having said that, it'd be foolish to think much of below-par play from a vet in pre-season. Always decent odds they're (understandably) just going through the motions trying to avoid injury. Especially at Sim's age. I expect a marked difference in play from him once the regular season starts.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I agree that Longacre is the last spot right now. Seau is a fun camp story but no way is he above Sims -- maybe he should be on potential but no way would Fisher ever do that. I think Coples makes the team because GW likes DTs that can shoot a gap like he can. Here's my 9:

DE starters-Quinn/Hayes
DE rotation-Sims/Westbrooks/Longacre
DT starters-Donald/Brockers
DT rotation-Easely/Coples

Painful to leave Fat Cam off (fan favorite of Fatbot of course). I think he is the best candidate to replace Brockers' skillset against the run, but it's a cruel numbers game and gotta lean toward what GW wants, and that's pass pressure first priority.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Great to see all the young talent on the DL. As other have said, this might make older guys like Sims expendable if his play does not improve. Same with Coples. Having said that, it'd be foolish to think much of below-par play from a vet in pre-season. Always decent odds they're (understandably) just going through the motions trying to avoid injury. Especially at Sim's age. I expect a marked difference in play from him once the regular season starts.

I saw nothing from Eugene Sims last regular season when he finished over 11 games as starter for the injured Rob Quinn. Sims 1.5 sacks from the RDE was a major drop off in production. Sims poor pass performance permitted many of the double & triple teams on DT Aaron Donald. Teams would just use a LOS TE over on Sims & use the extra OL'er to beat Donald down when they were having issues. This can not be allowed this season if we want to improve this DL. Quinn is still a no show:cautious:.

Eugene Sims has proven to be a very good interior pass rusher over the years before the Aaron Donald era ....when used in the Aaron Donald post & a decent run stopper from the RDE post but he has NO impact whatsoever in the pass rush game from the DE post. Now we have a great new back up for Aaron Donald in the name of Dom Easley & then there is also Quinton Coples who can play both inside & outside. Then we can also include Ethan Westbrooks who plays the Donald post well in the rotation. The Rams are three or four deep in the 3 tech interior DL post so where is the need for Sims here? There is None now.

Now if Sims has no need for inside action...& Sims is a non factor as a pass rusher @ DE as was demonstrated over & over again in regular season....then somebody make an good argument on the behalf of Eugene Sims & his 10 million $$ contract? If one says its at DE? I say why when we see outstanding play by Longacre when given a chance last season & in 2 pre season games this season & throughout Training Camp...plus we see very good play from the rookie pass rusher Ian Seau & we know that the young versatile Westbrooks who can effectively play 3 DL posts? Do you really let a rookie pass rusher walk off to another team in order to keep a run stopper veteran expensive DE like Sims:whistle:? Speaking just for myself I am looking for a legit pass rusher to assist that RDE ( that's not Sims) post once the season begins.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Matt Longacre has been getting his props in this Rams forum for a long time now. While I can say that the DL cadre has some good young talent in it we also have seen it manhandled in the first two pre season games. Snead has 6 new DL'er's that have been added in here.

DL'er's pre season trending upward (y)in performance's would be:
#1- DT Dominique Easley 24-3 6-2/285lbs
#2- LDE Matt Longacre 24-2 6-3/260lbs
#3- RDE Ian Seau 22/R 6-2/256lbs
#4-NT Cam Thomas 29-7 6-4/380pluslbs

DL'er's in TC & pre season trending downward (n)in performance would be:
#1-DT- Quinton Coples 27-5 6-6/295lbs:palm:
#2-LDE- Eugene Sims 30-7 6-6/270lbso_O

I sure would like to see more of DT's Morgan Fox & Zach Colvin but time is running out on them both could be practice squad members. The big question YET to be answered here is on all pro RDE- Rob Quinn. Using the past working NFL/college history & this 2016 training Camp & half way through the pre season If I were to make the call for the Rams 9 man DL it would look like this:

RDE-Quinn/Seau
DT-Donald/Easley
NT-Brockers/Thomas

Thomas would be #9 DL @ this point & things could change for him fast. I not going to let pass rusher Ian Seau play for another NFL team like the 9ers where they would use him in their 34 defense & watch him terrorize our QB twice a season. Veterans Sims & Coples & their near 17 million price tag for their services for the next few seasons can be saved to sign our dozen or so UFA's in 2017....so let these two be easy releases.

In 2015 Fisher only kept 8 D-LINEMAN but this year I'm with you, it seems like a nine ball Bonifay
af30d19337b808ab4cef297e6e72dc2c.png

As of today 08/21/2016 I would be 100% on board with your group of nine

RDE-Quinn/Seau
DT-Donald/Easley
NT-Brockers/Thomas

Fisher doesn't always see things like us fans so might Player Loyalty and money have anything to do with his final decision to make him go with the 8 ball D-Line count again?

RDE-Quinn/ Sims............ thinks he can stash Seau on P.Squad which might be risky business
DT-Donald/Easley
NT-Brockers/Westbrooks.......... like last yr subs in Sims & Westbrooks at DT
LDE-Hayes/Longacre

Because of durability concerns with Easley/Quinn I can't imagine Fish only keeps 8 DL's ?

I haven't watched the game a 2nd time yet to scout Thomas closer at DT and some are leery of Seau's ability to play the run or have his recent pass rush success against regular season caliber OT's.

Coples playing inside seems to be a bad experiment by the Defensive coaches.. As I've stated before the guaranteed money for the below players shouldn't determine keeping them if the upside is better with different players. Kroenke has this kind of coin under his car seat.

E.Sims- Turns 31 on 03/18/2017 Re-signed DE Eugene Sims to a three-year, $10 million contract. The deal comes with $3.5 million guaranteed.

Q.Coples- Turns 27 on 06/22/2017 Signed a two-year deal to join L.A.. A base value of $6.5 million, with a max value of $9.75 million. The deal comes with $750,000 guaranteed.

C.Thomas- Turns 30 on 12/12/2016 Signed a 1 year, $760,000 contract , including an average annual salary of $760,000. In 2016, Thomas will earn a base salary of $760,000. Thomas has a cap hit of $600,000. No Guaranteed money

Defense 2015 FINAL 53 anybody see a change in DEF Position counts for 2016 ?

DL (8)
Michael Brockers
Aaron Donald
Nick Fairley
William Hayes
Chris Long
Robert Quinn
Eugene Sims
Ethan Westbrooks

LB (7)

Akeem Ayers
Daren Bates
Bryce Hager
James Laurinaitis
Cameron Lynch
Alec Ogletree

Mark Barron OLB/SS

CB (4)
Janoris Jenkins
Trumaine Johnson
Lamarcus Joyner
Marcus Roberson

S (4)
Maurice Alexander
Cody Davis
T.J. McDonald
Rodney McLeod

Offense 2015 FINAL 53

QB (3)
Nick Foles
Case Keenum
Sean Mannion

RB (5)
Benny Cunningham
Todd Gurley
Tre Mason
Isaiah Pead
Chase Reynolds

WR (6)
Tavon Austin
Stedman Bailey
Kenny Britt
Chris Givens
Bradley Marquez
Brian Quick

TE/FB (3)
Jared Cook
Cory Harkey
Lance Kendricks

OL (10)
Tim Barnes
Jamon Brown
Andrew Donnal
Rob Havenstein
Garrett Reynolds
Demetrius Rhaney
Greg Robinson
Rodger Saffold
Cody Wichmann
Darrell Williams

ST (3)
Johnny Hekker
Jake McQuaide
Greg Zuerlein

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Do you really let a rookie pass rusher walk off to another team in order to keep a run stopper veteran expensive DE like Sims.
If you are Jeff Fisher, yes.

Totally agree with your summation of Sims. My only nitpick is I believe they are going to stick with Westbrooks back on the outside and Coples on the inside now, but if anything it reinforces the flexibility the Rams have along the DL now that makes Sims superfluous.

But Fisher loves him those high priced 3rd string vets for some reason. Maybe they are like his security blanket or something. Sims isn't going anywhere.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If you are Jeff Fisher, yes.

Totally agree with your summation of Sims. My only nitpick is I believe they are going to stick with Westbrooks back on the outside and Coples on the inside now, but if anything it reinforces the flexibility the Rams have along the DL now that makes Sims superfluous.

But Fisher loves him those high priced 3rd string vets for some reason. Maybe they are like his security blanket or something. Sims isn't going anywhere.

I will agree with you here on Sims not going anywhere....its a shame because our outside pass rush last season was dismal, with only 7 sacks total coming from Sims & Hayes. Quinn got 5 sacks & he only finished 5 games @ DE. If Quinn is not the same we are in trouble again on the outside with Hayes & Sims. That's my pointy here.

Its my position that keeping Sims over a Longacre or Thomas or even Seau will prove very unwise. Right now if Brockers goes down & you release Thomas who are you going to play on the Nose? You going to run out two 280 pounders Donald & Easley to stop the run? Sims is listed @ 269 pounds so he is not a candidate. Pretty sure that ex jet OLB'er Coples (@ nearly 6-7 & 290 pounds) is NOT a NT either. I just think this is a good conversation to have amongst us you think?.