D-Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
share.jpg

On Tuesday, 6 June 1944, more than 160,000 Allied troops landed along a 50-mile stretch of heavily-fortified French coastline, to fight Nazi Germany on the beaches of Normandy, France. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower called the operation a crusade in which, “we will accept nothing less than full victory.” More than 5,000 Ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by day’s end, the Allies gained a foot-hold in Continental Europe. The cost in lives on D-Day was high. More than 9,000 Allied Soldiers were killed or wounded, but their sacrifice allowed more than 100,000 Soldiers to begin the slow, hard slog across Europe, to defeat Adolf Hitler’s crack troops.
----------

73 years ago today.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Can't imagine anything more terrifying than those few minutes before the front of those boats opened onto the beach. Don't mean to trivialise it at all but the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan should be compulsory viewing in history classes across the world.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan should be compulsory viewing in history classes across the world.
I was never really a TV guy....all sports no movies...didn't like history in school. Movies like this...Titanic....and others really opened my eyes....I read a really good WWII book a couple years ago...True courage was getting off those transport boats...and walking up that sand. I've seen guys during gunfire...yeah, LA is rough like that...and you never really know what a guy is gonna do. And how it will effect them later.