Cutting edge offensive plan...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Fisher and Schottenheimer are considering and beginning to employ a devastating offensive philosophy. What if the basis of the offense is to put too many variables on the field for the defense to prepare an adequate gameplan that can be executed? Let's consider that every skill position player other than Bradford was acquired PRECISELY because they are all special in only one or two regards? Quick and Pettis are the fast and tall Split Ends that you only gamble to leave in single coverage because the Red Zone is their forte. Bailey is Givens without the drops, technicians who understand route running and stretch the field (oh, how I miss Ellard, Bruce, and Holt). Austin is the little guy that requires another quick twitch defender or six points will be quickly conceded and he can be augmented or replaced by guys like Givens, Bailey, and Helmick. Kendricks and Cook can overpower nickel and dime personnel as can physical backs like Stacy, Ganaway, and Cunningham. Pead and Richarson can threaten the perimeter of most any defense. The flexibility of this offense has the potential to attack any defensive philosophy in the league.

By now the premise is obvious, there is no need to glorify any of the offensive weapons. This is a team that will stress opponents by waves of diversity. A big, physical backfield like Seattle could be destroyed by a Run and Shoot scheme that uses Pead or Richardson along with Austin, Givens, and Bailey. A small defensive backfield would struggle to contain Kendricks, Cook, Pettis, and Quick as well as the power backs like Ganaway and Stacy. Every play could bring a fresh set of mismatches in any combination with the depth to continue the gameplan even in the event of injury. Running Austin and Cook down the seam together with a sudden break by either would be a safety's nightmare.

My angle is not that the Rams will be reinventing the wheel. X,Y, and Z receivers still remain. Running backs by committee are now the norm. Fielding three tight ends or lining up with an empty backfield is nothing new. Even lining up with four wide can end up being a run by Austin after he goes into motion. Teams will attempt to teach their defenses about Ram tendencies depending on the personnel grouping and the Rams would be prepared to counter with something unexpected.

Provided Bradford and the Oline remain healthy, I'm predicting a top ten offense in 2013 by philosophy and talent alone.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Hey bro, that was an excellent post. You "got it." me and you are seeing eye-to-eye. Sky is the limit if injuries don't smack us and the young players get up to speed in a hurry. We have to have a tremendous coaching staff to pull this off, I'm glad we do.

Altering going back and forth with stubborn, pig headed, narrow sighted Seahawk fans all afternoon, I'm so glad to see a fellow Ram fan that sees what I see. Seahawks are falling hard this year. They are proclaiming utter dominance without even looking at us with more than mere glance. They're in denial, folks. Without Harvin, they are the same team. I think we have the best shot now.

Only injuries can stop us now. I'm buying in more all the time.

fearsomefour

Legend
The ability to mix looks and run with seemingly passing personal and pass with seemingly run personal is one of the true threats of this group....potentially. Being able to run Cook and Kendricks out and still being able to have 5 legit receivers on the field is key. If the D runs a standard D you can pass out of it, if they go nickel or dime they can try to pound the ball.
One thing remains true on the D side of the equation also. The best way to offset a fast, attacking passing game is the blitz. If the Rams start mixing looks and gaining yards in chunks I would expect D coordinators to simplify. Look for the mismatch or create an overload vs the Oline to get the QB quickly. This is where using motion can really cause mismatches.....it goes on and on. It will be interesting to see how it evolves as the season goes on....I expect things to start simple with the young guys them expand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
This is so exactly what I see coming. And with a hurry up offense and play changes at the line to adjust to the defense, it has the potential to be awesome.

If it's only good, the Rams could be in contention with that D.

LUVIN' IT!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Bradford has already brought up that this offense is more advanced then hes seen it. And if you add in the way shotty and fish are talking about how they are constantly evolving the offensive playbook as they go. Then you add in them wanting to play quicker because that is how Bradford was most successful at Oklahoma. You get an offense that even with young guns has a potential to suprise alot of folks. Fisher has always been good at playing to the strengths of his players, as well as getting the best out of his younger players. I for one am excited to see what is coming i predict a rams offense the hasva scoring avg around 30+ a season. If fish could do it with vy/kerry collins and a bunch of no name receivers he can def do it with Bradford and this core.

nighttrain

Legend
Rabid Ram said:
Bradford has already brought up that this offense is more advanced then hes seen it. And if you add in the way shotty and fish are talking about how they are constantly evolving the offensive playbook as they go. Then you add in them wanting to play quicker because that is how Bradford was most successful at Oklahoma. You get an offense that even with young guns has a potential to suprise alot of folks. Fisher has always been good at playing to the strengths of his players, as well as getting the best out of his younger players. I for one am excited to see what is coming i predict a rams offense the hasva scoring avg around 30+ a season. If fish could do it with vy/kerry collins and a bunch of no name receivers he can def do it with Bradford and this core.
Difficult to add to your post RR, but so looking forward to this season
train

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Excellent post and additional comments! Thanks guys! Looks like every Rams game this year is going to feel like X-mas morning. Thanks die hard fans for hanging in there. Our time has come!

tonyl711

Starter
it all comes down to the Oline, if they can stay healthy the sky is the limit for this O.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
leoram said:
This is a team that will stress opponents by waves of diversity.

This is a nicely done post, leoram.

I've clipped out a piece for comment; You got that right! We have a potentially very difficult set of players to match up with.

It needs to be proven on the field, but on paper... we seem to have so many different ways to attack a defense with the players assembled. The potential is exciting.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The thing that stands out to me, is the NEED for this team to be able to score early in games. It is set up, to play with the lead more than any other team they've had since the GSOT days. Not comparing them to the GSOT, because they will not be that. And anyone who thinks so, is in for a major letdown.

But considering this defense led the league in sacks LAST YEAR being a .500 team, not playing with many leads. Imagine how much more devastating they can be if the offense can score early and often. Taking a lead on the opening drive of games can make all the difference with how this team is configured. On BOTH sides of the ball.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CoachO said:
The thing that stands out to me, is the NEED for this team to be able to score early in games. It is set up, to play with the lead more than any other team they've had since the GSOT days. Not comparing them to the GSOT, because they will not be that. And anyone who thinks so, is in for a major letdown.

But considering this defense led the league in sacks LAST YEAR being a .500 team, not playing with many leads. Imagine how much more devastating they can be if the offense can score early and often. Taking a lead on the opening drive of games can make all the difference with how this team is configured. On BOTH sides of the ball.

Exactly.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
So 52 sacks last year with a sub .500 record and playing from behind most of the time. Seems that besting the Bears record of 72 is not that far fetched if this offense can get up on teams early.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
CoachO said:

Exactly.
As long as we don't open it up, to only shut it down later banking on the defense to win for us.

Speeps

Starter
I've always liked the phrase "Controlled Chaos." This Rams offense may exemplify that phrase.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I guess I just wonder if it's competition at RB, Z and X reciever to see who needs to garner the most snaps.

Quick vs Pettis at X
Bailey vs Givens at Z
Richardson vs Pead vs Ganaway vs Stacy at RB

I mean you're right, it does help to have fresh legs, be offensively diverse, etc. But some of these guys skill sets kind of overlap. And it'd be nice if some of these other guys are so good you don't want to take them off the field. Maybe that's what they're trying to figure out.

Don't know, above my pay grade, but that's how I sees them.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
CoachO said:

+1