Cutting board

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
It's a tough question to answer without seeing how the new guys look in action yet (they all sound like HoFers at this point), but here's my list:

-Brandon McGee & Rodney McLeod: Rams brought in the kitchen sink of young talent to fix the weak link secondary for a reason

-Austin Pettis: I understand he's the most stable & reliable WR right now, but that low standard has to go, Rams need to shoot higher

-Matt Conrath & Eugene Sims: these guys are loyal soldiers, but the Rams DL is an elite unit now, need every guy to be a freak athlete/something special going forward

-Scott Wells & Tim Barnes: perfect world sees B.Jones become the starter and Rhaney is an intriguing backup talent

-Mike Person: I don't know much about him so just going with the hype of the bigger, newer guys like Van Dyk and Hooey

-Cory Harkey: like him but if we're committed to power running I like having a pure lead block FB better, a bowling ball like K.Jones

-Jo-Lonn Dunbar: he will do well partnered with Williams again, but so could a younger, better player. Still worried the Rams made no LB draft/FA moves
No offense, but that's a pretty terrible list with a couple of starters and key players that it would make absolutely no sense to cut right now.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It's a tough question to answer without seeing how the new guys look in action yet (they all sound like HoFers at this point), but here's my list:

-Brandon McGee & Rodney McLeod: Rams brought in the kitchen sink of young talent to fix the weak link secondary for a reason

-Austin Pettis: I understand he's the most stable & reliable WR right now, but that low standard has to go, Rams need to shoot higher

-Matt Conrath & Eugene Sims: these guys are loyal soldiers, but the Rams DL is an elite unit now, need every guy to be a freak athlete/something special going forward

-Scott Wells & Tim Barnes: perfect world sees B.Jones become the starter and Rhaney is an intriguing backup talent

-Mike Person: I don't know much about him so just going with the hype of the bigger, newer guys like Van Dyk and Hooey

-Cory Harkey: like him but if we're committed to power running I like having a pure lead block FB better, a bowling ball like K.Jones

-Jo-Lonn Dunbar: he will do well partnered with Williams again, but so could a younger, better player. Still worried the Rams made no LB draft/FA moves

Why would you cut any of those players? To replace them with UFAs? Can't agree with your list.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Why would you cut any of those players?
Same reason the Rams didn't bring back Shelley Smith, Harvey Dahl, Chris Williams, etc. To move forward you don't keep guys around that have limited ceilings, you bring in new guys with greater potential talent. Of course you can't have a future Hall of Famer at every position, but my list is guys that do not have even Pro Bowl potential. The Rams will keep most of them if not all because there's room for role players on every roster, my list is just identifying who I would cut *if* one of the new kids flashes unique potential.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
No offense, but that's a pretty terrible list with a couple of starters and key players that it would make absolutely no sense to cut right now.
That's my point -- for the Rams to become a legit playoff threat, those guys listed should not be starters. They are not key players on a playoff caliber team. If they are considered key players for the Rams, it will be almost impossible to sniff 10 wins with such limited talent. We need to get past the standard of guys being "okay" or "solid" or "not the problem" to wanting guys that are "great" and "game changing talents".

jjab360

Legend
That's my point -- for the Rams to become a legit playoff threat, those guys listed should not be starters. They are not key players on a playoff caliber team. If they are considered key players for the Rams, it will be almost impossible to sniff 10 wins with such limited talent. We need to get past the standard of guys being "okay" or "solid" or "not the problem" to wanting guys that are "great" and "game changing talents".
Not sure what makes you think playoff teams don't have a couple below average starters here and there as well. The Seahawks, for example, have a terrible interior OL. The Cardinals went 10-6 with arguably the worst OL in the league. The Patriots probably have one of the worst receiving corps in the league. The 49ers don't have much of a pass rush without Aldon Smith.

Sure, eventually the guys you listed will be replaced with more talented players, but for right now heading into this season it would be foolish to think about cutting them without an immediate replacement on hand. Fact is you're always going to have a couple lackluster spots on your team, otherwise you would probably go undefeated. The important thing is to max out talent in the most important phases of the game, i.e. the trenches, which I think we've done a pretty good job of doing.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

The problem with your premise is simple. Who do they have that will be better, THIS YEAR?

This regime has done an amazing job of turning over this roster in 3 off seasons. And the players you list, are a direct result of that. You may think its trendy to say just replace guys like McLeod, or Pettis, or Harkey, or Sims, but these guys WILL have a role on this team.

In this age of the salary cap, guys like this will always have a place on just about every roster in the league. It's not FF, where you find All-Pros at every position. But you know that already.

Sum1

Hall of Fame

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Same reason the Rams didn't bring back Shelley Smith, Harvey Dahl, Chris Williams, etc. To move forward you don't keep guys around that have limited ceilings, you bring in new guys with greater potential talent. Of course you can't have a future Hall of Famer at every position, but my list is guys that do not have even Pro Bowl potential. The Rams will keep most of them if not all because there's room for role players on every roster, my list is just identifying who I would cut *if* one of the new kids flashes unique potential.
It's very debatable that there are any players on our current roster or are still available that have close to the upside of the players that you've named. You will need to wait until the draft next year for that.