Cutting board

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
As of this moment, if you had to choose 10 players to cut to make room on this roster, who are they?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
It's a tough question to answer without seeing how the new guys look in action yet (they all sound like HoFers at this point), but here's my list:

-Brandon McGee & Rodney McLeod: Rams brought in the kitchen sink of young talent to fix the weak link secondary for a reason

-Austin Pettis: I understand he's the most stable & reliable WR right now, but that low standard has to go, Rams need to shoot higher

-Matt Conrath & Eugene Sims: these guys are loyal soldiers, but the Rams DL is an elite unit now, need every guy to be a freak athlete/something special going forward

-Scott Wells & Tim Barnes: perfect world sees B.Jones become the starter and Rhaney is an intriguing backup talent

-Mike Person: I don't know much about him so just going with the hype of the bigger, newer guys like Van Dyk and Hooey

-Cory Harkey: like him but if we're committed to power running I like having a pure lead block FB better, a bowling ball like K.Jones

-Jo-Lonn Dunbar: he will do well partnered with Williams again, but so could a younger, better player. Still worried the Rams made no LB draft/FA moves

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Too early for me to play. Let's see them in pads first.

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
It's a tough question to answer without seeing how the new guys look in action yet (they all sound like HoFers at this point), but here's my list:

-Brandon McGee & Rodney McLeod: Rams brought in the kitchen sink of young talent to fix the weak link secondary for a reason

-Austin Pettis: I understand he's the most stable & reliable WR right now, but that low standard has to go, Rams need to shoot higher

-Matt Conrath & Eugene Sims: these guys are loyal soldiers, but the Rams DL is an elite unit now, need every guy to be a freak athlete/something special going forward

-Scott Wells & Tim Barnes: perfect world sees B.Jones become the starter and Rhaney is an intriguing backup talent

-Mike Person: I don't know much about him so just going with the hype of the bigger, newer guys like Van Dyk and Hooey

-Cory Harkey: like him but if we're committed to power running I like having a pure lead block FB better, a bowling ball like K.Jones

-Jo-Lonn Dunbar: he will do well partnered with Williams again, but so could a younger, better player. Still worried the Rams made no LB draft/FA moves

I'm upset at you!

Cory Harkey bought my allegiance (sP) with the catch and run against (damn who was it last year).
Jo Lonn reunited with GW... come'on.... run with it for a least one year!!!
Eugene Sims.... dude exudes the 'Team First' att... come'on!... and he shows up... come'on!
Brandon and Rodney... 2nd year players your going to cut loose.. come'on!
Finally, Austin Pettis is like a fine wine (I hate wine and he needs to show up in the games dammit) which means I'll pour his ass out if he doesn't start putting some YAC at the end of his 45 catches this year (I like tatoos...lol).

I have no idea who goes, but Harkey, Jo, Eugence, B & R, and Pet will not be included...
At least I don't think so.......

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I see the ideas here. McGee just isn't NFL caliber, I agree, and unless he shows major progress in camp or preseason I would open the door to the new guys. McLeod is decent but just not starter material. Unless he accepts a spot on the bench, I'd let him walk too.

Pettis is hard to release with Bailey suspended but if not for that he is flirting with free agency. He was utterly below average in the majority of his playing time.

Tim Barnes I'm fine with because Jones and Rhaney appear more promising. Wells plays great but he needs to stay healthy. If he can keep himself on the field, I don't see any reason to boot him.

I haven't seen the competition battle for myself but from what I have read I would boot him or Van Dyk depending on consistency and effort. Hooey is a respectable backup judging only from OTA reports.

Cutting ties with Harkey would be hard to do. He brings a duel threat ability of playing FB well and supporting the passing game from the TE position. He exceeded my expectations last year and he is underrated by many.

It's looking more and more like Ray Ray should be manning the LB spot over Dunbar from what he brings to the table in speed, athleticism, size, and special teams stardom. However, Dunbar plays the run like a champ and in short yardage situations I wouldn't want to regret having him around.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Hmm... good questions.
- Justice Cunningham, b/c Harkey is the man in that blocking TE/FB role
- Mason Brodine, b/c while I respect him trying to switch, we've got sudden depth at TE
- Austin Davis, b/c I like Gilbert's upside more and Hill in the short-term way more
- Chase Reynolds, b/c we have a ton of good ST players, and he's not going to sniff the field at RB
- Quinton Pointer, b/c he doesn't have the potential or athleticism of our new CB corps
- Darren Woodard, b/c of what I just said about Pointer
- Matt Daniels, b/c I like what I read/see about the Bryants and Alexander
- Tim Barnes, assuming they really like Rhaney, b/c they may well be set at C for the future and I'm not sure he can pass protect
- Michael Sam, because while I love the guy's story and my MU connection, I don't know that he's got a role or that he's better than Westbrooks
- Justin Veltung, because while he's explosive, I'd rather keep Emory Blake, TJ Moe and Austin Franklin than him

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We'd have to cut alot of undrafted FA guys before we'd get rid of any good players.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Hmm... good questions.
- Justice Cunningham, b/c Harkey is the man in that blocking TE/FB role
- Mason Brodine, b/c while I respect him trying to switch, we've got sudden depth at TE
- Austin Davis, b/c I like Gilbert's upside more and Hill in the short-term way more
- Chase Reynolds, b/c we have a ton of good ST players, and he's not going to sniff the field at RB

- Quinton Pointer, b/c he doesn't have the potential or athleticism of our new CB corps
..... Pointer was released months ago. So he is excluded by default.

I would add Sammy Brown in his place

- Darren Woodard, b/c of what I just said about Pointer
- Matt Daniels, b/c I like what I read/see about the Bryants and Alexander

- Tim Barnes, assuming they really like Rhaney, b/c they may well be set at C for the future and I'm not sure he can pass protect ---- Not sure I agree that they would cut Barnes to keep Rhaney

- Michael Sam, because while I love the guy's story and my MU connection, I don't know that he's got a role or that he's better than Westbrooks
- Justin Veltung, because while he's explosive, I'd rather keep Emory Blake, TJ Moe and Austin Franklin than him

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
@CoachO, agreed that Barnes over Rhaney might be a stretch, but I have to think they spent a pick on him for a reason. Not sure Barnes has that much upside beyond a decently mauling run-blocker.

For some reason Ourlads still has Pointer on the roster still. Thanks for the update.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
@CoachO, agreed that Barnes over Rhaney might be a stretch, but I have to think they spent a pick on him for a reason. Not sure Barnes has that much upside beyond a decently mauling run-blocker.

For some reason Ourlads still has Pointer on the roster still. Thanks for the update.

Two things regarding Barnes. 1) Most people tend to under rate his ability. He is a very solid center, and has managed to "stick around" going on his 4th year. He came to camp last year, after completely reinventing himself physically.

2) this staff seems to really like what he offers. Again, the transformation physically, (he "looks" like an NFL lineman now) seemed to make an impression on Boudreau and Fisher. He was the guy they made sure was "active" on Sundays, and can play both Guard and Center. When most felt that spot was going to B. Washington last year.

As far as Rhaney, they "spent" the LAST unconditional draft pick they had. so I wouldn't read much into what reason they may have had. He has practice squad written all over him. And from what I recall, he has not played a whole lot of center. More of a swing guy inside, and that is exactly what Jones and Barnes are here to do.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Two things regarding Barnes. 1) Most people tend to under rate his ability. He is a very solid center, and has managed to "stick around" going on his 4th year. He came to camp last year, after completely reinventing himself physically.

2) this staff seems to really like what he offers. Again, the transformation physically, (he "looks" like an NFL lineman now) seemed to make an impression on Boudreau and Fisher. He was the guy they made sure was "active" on Sundays, and can play both Guard and Center. When most felt that spot was going to B. Washington last year.

As far as Rhaney, they "spent" the LAST unconditional draft pick they had. so I wouldn't read much into what reason they may have had. He has practice squad written all over him. And from what I recall, he has not played a whole lot of center. More of a swing guy inside, and that is exactly what Jones and Barnes are here to do.
I just see Barnes as having more or less reached his peak. He's fine. He run blocks well, doesn't seem to hold up as well in pass blocking, and is basically an OK solution if you need interior line depth. If you disagree with me, as always that's fine, as you have actual coaching experience and I'm more or less a decently-informed fan, but where can Barnes go from here? Do you see opportunity for him to improve his game, become more than Adam Goldberg minus the ability to slide outside to tackle?

I think that Jones is the obvious next-man-up on the interior spots, which was Barnes's role as the only guy likely to be OK at center behind Wells. Jones, to me, has more upside, more physicality, and more 'center smarts' on the line. That said, if it's Barnes vs. Rhaney for your last interior line depth position, I get more excited about unknown upside than known steady-but-not-stellar performance.

If Rhaney can stay on the PS without getting picked, so much the better, I just wanted to expound on my thinking a bit.

Also, it's FANTASTIC that some of the most interesting roster debates we're having this time of year are whether we should keep a young guy who started several games at center last year vs. a rookie as the last OL spot, or which standout SEC #1 cornerback we should keep for our last CB spot.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I just see Barnes as having more or less reached his peak. He's fine. He run blocks well, doesn't seem to hold up as well in pass blocking, and is basically an OK solution if you need interior line depth. If you disagree with me, as always that's fine, as you have actual coaching experience and I'm more or less a decently-informed fan, but where can Barnes go from here? Do you see opportunity for him to improve his game, become more than Adam Goldberg minus the ability to slide outside to tackle?

I think that Jones is the obvious next-man-up on the interior spots, which was Barnes's role as the only guy likely to be OK at center behind Wells. Jones, to me, has more upside, more physicality, and more 'center smarts' on the line. That said, if it's Barnes vs. Rhaney for your last interior line depth position, I get more excited about unknown upside than known steady-but-not-stellar performance.

If Rhaney can stay on the PS without getting picked, so much the better, I just wanted to expound on my thinking a bit.

Also, it's FANTASTIC that some of the most interesting roster debates we're having this time of year are whether we should keep a young guy who started several games at center last year vs. a rookie as the last OL spot, or which standout SEC #1 cornerback we should keep for our last CB spot.

I get what you're saying. But for me. I'd much rather have the proven guy who has shown the ability to perform, especially given that he has some experience.

Just because the unknown guy is younger, doesn't mean that he is better. There is absolutely nothing wrong in keeping a guy like Barnes in a reserve roll. All too often people think that they have to always be looking to the future. With offensive linemen especially, it's really more a case of building the best unit possible on a year to year basis. And at some point a little veteran presence is a good thing.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I get what you're saying. But for me. I'd much rather have the proven guy who has shown the ability to perform, especially given that he has some experience.

Just because the unknown guy is younger, doesn't mean that he is better. There is absolutely nothing wrong in keeping a guy like Barnes in a reserve roll. All too often people think that they have to always be looking to the future. With offensive linemen especially, it's really more a case of building the best unit possible on a year to year basis. And at some point a little veteran presence is a good thing.
Side question, what do you see them doing with Washington? If he couldn't beat out Williams at any point last year, I don't see much of a future for him, esp. with the sudden depth at G.

RFIP

Harkey??? Goodness he is one of my favorite players...

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Marcus Roberson - Soft.
Greg Reid - Don't trust the knees.
Cunningham - Have enough depth at TE.
Brodine - See above.
Davis - Don't need 4 QBs.
Brown - Don't see a fit at LB, enough DE depth.
Loser of Sam /Westbrooks.
Woodard - I don't really like the CB depth behind Gaines, McGee, Joyner, Johnson and Jenkins.
Daniels - have some better options for safety depth.
Any wideouts not named Austin, Britt, Givens, Pettis, Quick, Bailey or Moe.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Side question, what do you see them doing with Washington? If he couldn't beat out Williams at any point last year, I don't see much of a future for him, esp. with the sudden depth at G.
IMO. His days are numbered. I think they thought he could be the guy they projected Rok Watkins to be. Same physical traits. But from what I saw, he looks like he is stuck in quick sand compared to others.

And he doesn't have the punch or power they hoped for. He is the perfect example of a player topping out, being the best option a year ago, then being drafted over. Be it Jones last year (now apparently ready to step in) and Robinson, they make someone like Washington expendable.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have a 90-man roster at the moment. There are a lot of players to cut before we get to anyone likely to be on the roster fringe.

Cut:
Bobby Cowan - backup punter - camp leg only
Jorgen Hus - backup long snapper - camp need only
Deantre Harlan - 5th or 6th (or 7th, if you believe Westbrooks is actually there on the depth chart) DT
Kadeem Jones - true fullback on a team that doesn't use one
Mason Brodine - changing positions as a pro doesn't work, especially from one side of the line of scrimmage to the other
Sammy Brown - as mentioned previously, not going to break into our DE depth, has already shown he won't be one of our linebackers
Austin Davis - just a camp arm if everyone else is healthy
Emory Blake - too deep on the chart at WR
Jordan Walls - same
Diontae Spencer - same

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I wanT Rhaney to beat out Barnes, but that is not likely to happen. You are right that he seems like PS material. The coaches wont want to go into the season with Jones as Center #2 and Rhaney as center #3. At this point Barnes is far more experienced than either. Besides according to Softli Jones is considered to be more of a Guard and just the backup at Center. So Rhaney would have to be pretty good to unseat Barnes as the potential second string or future Center.

If Rhaney excels and unseats Barnes it would be incredible to land instant value of that magnitude with a very late draft choice.