Cuts may come to a “crescendo” on Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/05/cuts-may-come-to-a-crescendo-on-monday/

Cuts may come to a “crescendo” on Monday
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu3nje0yzrjztiznwy4odcwymvimdm0mgrjzmrln2nk-e1449088374228.jpeg
AP

Plenty of veteran players with recognizable names have been released in recent days. It’s likely that plenty more are coming.

One league source with extensive knowledge of the operation of NFL franchises predicts that the process of cutting players will reach a “crescendo” on Monday, two days before the start of the new league year. Through the process, teams will dump millions in non-guaranteed salaries, avoid millions in bonus payments due early in the league year, free up millions in cap space, and send dozens of older players with recognizable names into the market.

The most recognizable name of the players-to-be-fired-sooner-than-later belongs to Peyton Manning. With the Broncos not even asking Manning to submit to the physical that serves as the rubber stamp for the payment of his fully-guaranteed $19 million salary and with no negotiations underway regarding a potential return at a reduced rate, the Broncos will be cutting Peyton Manning before the guarantee vests on Wednesday, unless he retires before then.

When it happens, casual, least-common denominator fans and media will be shocked. When, after all, has the starting quarterback for the Super Bowl champion been fired only a month after hoisting the Lombardi? Anyone who has been paying attention shouldn’t be surprised. At this point, a surprise would happen only if Peyton Manning isn’t cut.

As teams spend the weekend making one last pass of their rosters, ripping the name off the back of the jersey and asking whether the player’s abilities justify his compensation, it’s possible that some genuine surprises will emerge, with those players either being dumped out of the blue, possibly after being not-so-discreetly shopped for trade value.

However it goes, there will be plenty of firing on Monday and Tuesday, before the annual hiring cycle starts on Wednesday.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm hoping the Redskins cut Pierre Garçon, and if they do, we should take a run at him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
However it goes, there will be plenty of firing on Monday and Tuesday, before the annual hiring cycle starts on Wednesday.
I'm hoping to see the Rams make a BIG Splash Wednesday!!:snicker::D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gonna be exciting to see who they bring in. Here's hoping Fish & Snead don't sit back and let FA come to them. Get aggressive!

I expect to see them hot on WRs, and will be interesting to see if there is any truth to the Manning rumors.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Gonna be exciting to see who they bring in. Here's hoping Fish & Snead don't sit back and let FA come to them. Get aggressive!

I expect to see them hot on WRs, and will be interesting to see if there is any truth to the Manning rumors.
Considering the weakness in this years WR Class I'm sure your right about that! But I wouldn't hold out any hopes of getting Manning. If he's smart he'll retire with the SB Win!!JMHO

A55VA6

Legend

I think they'll be aggressive.

Moving to LA, tons of cap space, need to get over the hump.. my bet is if they like a player, they're going to go get him.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe

I sure hope not. I have a ton of respect for Manning as a football player but he is done playing at a high level. I'd rather Keenum at this point tbh.

If we were talking about Manning as a positional coach, well I'm all in for that idea.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
It's almost impossible to make a slash on free agency and not overpay. But if they do QB and Wr would be the only 2 positions that it would be acceptable. So if the Rams are willing to overpay it needs to be 1 of the top 2 players at those positions.