Cutler Scenario Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Whatever dude. Be a condescending wanker all you want with your best old larry impersonation. It does you wonders for the RamSTALK tilt you've seemingly digressed to.

- - -
But here's your last stupid nugget for comparison since you won't do the work.

Vikings Game: Garbage time FG
DAL: I guess all of Tony Lomo's TDs are garbage since we were up 21-0 and playing "prevent."
Eagles: Down 34-7. I guess we'll have to discount 2 AD TDs and a BamBam TD.
Whiners: Let's discount GZ's late FG.
SD: Down 10 with 2 minutes left. Let's discount that TD as well.

In my "magic system of garbage time" our paltry TDs go down by 4.

Can we also have garbage TDs for when we blow teams out as well and they give up like the Raiders?

Do I need mention our virtual lack of really ANY 2nd half scoring too once teams figure out Hill/Davis and co?

Memphis Ram

Legend
We have $76+ million dollars in cap room in 2016 if Jake Long is cut. We're fine.

Sure, looks that way with only about 24 players currently under contract for 2016.

I'm not sure what you'd disagree with on arm strength. It was blatantly obvious that Davis doesn't have a strong arm.

But, it's not blatantly obvious to me that he has well below average arm strength like you stated.

I think that believing that would be a mistake of epic proportions. And I think that's how you keep the Rams in the cellar when they're ready to contend for the playoffs.

Davis was terrible over his final 2 weeks. I don't care how good the defenses were on paper. He wasn't identifying the open WRs and when he did, he struggled hitting them. The guy got progressively worse as the season wore on...because defenses figured out his weaknesses and limitations.

Good luck putting your eggs in the Davis basket. I'll take a proven average QB over a fringe roster player who has "potential".(but really, I don't see much potential)

Oh, I'm not saying that the Rams should put their eggs in the Davis basket. I'm saying that he shouldn't be eliminated from the conversation and that the Rams could possibly win with him with a strong defense and stout running game.

They almost did this year without them during his period of play. Cook catches an easy TD pass and/or Wells doesn't make a poor snap prior to half-time vs. the Cowboys; A punt block TD and a sack/fumble TD vs. the Eagles after Jake Long gets easily beat on an inside move; a horrible call on Jared Cook vs. the 49ers towards the end of the 1st half causing at least a 10 point swing in that game etc. None of that was on Davis.

Where Davis got in trouble was when he got too greedy going down the field and didn't take what the defense was giving him. And that should improve with experience. And c'mon. His last two games where against the 49ers & Cardinals. Those defenses aren't just good on paper. They are good on the field, too. Over the years, they have made Bradford and others struggle, too.

See, IMO, most are convinced that this team is a QB away, but I believe that a stout running game with a strong defense can take this team just as far with a solid QB.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Whatever dude. Be a condescending wanker all you want with your best old larry impersonation. It does you wonders for the RamSTALK tilt you've seemingly digressed to.

- - -
But here's your last stupid nugget for comparison since you won't do the work.

Vikings Game: Garbage time FG
DAL: I guess all of Tony Lomo's TDs are garbage since we were up 21-0 and playing "prevent."
Eagles: Down 34-7. I guess we'll have to discount 2 AD TDs and a BamBam TD.
Whiners: Let's discount GZ's late FG.
SD: Down 10 with 2 minutes left. Let's discount that TD as well.

In my "magic system of garbage time" our paltry TDs go down by 4.

Can we also have garbage TDs for when we blow teams out as well and they give up like the Raiders?

Do I need mention our virtual lack of really ANY 2nd half scoring too once teams figure out Hill/Davis and co?

The next time you ask somebody what they are smoking be prepared to get the same type of response back. It you can't take it, then don't dish it out (only to attempt to play the innocent victim afterwards).

You might also try to comprehend the entirety of a post so you won't waste your time arguing pieces that have little to do with the main topic being discussed by the adults.

Athos

Legend
You might also try to comprehend the entirety of a post so you won't waste your time arguing pieces that have little to do with the main topic being discussed by the adults.

Fix your own reading comprehension first. Never said you were smoking anything either, so you can stop making up nonsense as well.

- - -

The questions keeps coming around to whether or not we'd be a better team with Cutler which you'll never answer. You just say "weapons" as if the skill players are the be all end all in football.

Unless you're Manning/Rodgers or elusive like Wilson, you aren't doing shit as a QB with a terrible O-Line.

Cutler is what he is, and what he is, with all his warts, is still a better option than what we've got on the bench.

In a perfect world, Bradford is better in every way imo when healthy. Fact is, he isn't.

And the options are vastly limited. And you still don't get that Cutler is only a bridge in this scenario, not a long term solution.

But keep harping away with insults. You've learned well from RamsTALK.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure, looks that way with only about 24 players currently under contract for 2016.

Which means we have an incredible amount of flexibility to do what we need to do.

But, it's not blatantly obvious to me that he has well below average arm strength like you stated.

I don't know how it wouldn't be. Look at the starting QBs in the NFL, he would be in the bottom 10. That's well below average.

Oh, I'm not saying that the Rams should put their eggs in the Davis basket. I'm saying that he shouldn't be eliminated from the conversation and that the Rams could possibly win with him with a strong defense and stout running game.

He should be eliminated from the conversation. We saw what he could do. It wasn't enough and he was rightfully benched.

It's a poor decision if we think he's an option.

They almost did this year without them during his period of play. Cook catches an easy TD pass and/or Wells doesn't make a poor snap prior to half-time vs. the Cowboys; A punt block TD and a sack/fumble TD vs. the Eagles after Jake Long gets easily beat on an inside move; a horrible call on Jared Cook vs. the 49ers towards the end of the 1st half causing at least a 10 point swing in that game etc. None of that was on Davis.

Nope. But that terrible 2nd half against SF, the pick six against Dallas, the game clinching INT, and Davis's terrible play in the first half against Philly were on Davis. As were his atrocious performances against San Francisco(#2) and Arizona.

Where Davis got in trouble was when he got too greedy going down the field and didn't take what the defense was giving him. And that should improve with experience. And c'mon. His last two games where against the 49ers & Cardinals. Those defense aren't just good on paper. They are good on the field, too. Over the years, they have made Bradford and others struggle, too.

The 49ers were not good on the field that day. Davis simply was awful.

Where Davis got in trouble was when he started panicking and throwing prayers down the field rather than reading the defense and sitting in the pocket.

See, IMO, most are convinced that this team is a QB away, but I believe that a stout running game with a strong defense can take this team just as far with a solid QB.

And that's the thing about it. You don't have to sacrifice either to get a solid QB. But with both those things and a solid QB, you have a Super Bowl caliber team. With both those things and Austin Davis, you have a team that will have to fight tooth and nail to make the playoffs.

I'm honestly shocked you think Davis is an option. The guy had the defense behind him against Arizona and San Francisco and he tanked in both games.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Fix your own reading comprehension first. Never said you were smoking anything either, so you can stop making up nonsense as well.

- - -

The questions keeps coming around to whether or not we'd be a better team with Cutler which you'll never answer. You just say "weapons" as if the skill players are the be all end all in football.

Unless you're Manning/Rodgers or elusive like Wilson, you aren't doing crap as a QB with a terrible O-Line.

Cutler is what he is, and what he is, with all his warts, is still a better option than what we've got on the bench.

In a perfect world, Bradford is better in every way imo when healthy. Fact is, he isn't.

And the options are vastly limited. And you still don't get that Cutler is only a bridge in this scenario, not a long term solution.

But keep harping away with insults. You've learned well from RamsTALK.

Here were you forgot about Jason Witten playing with Bennett his first 4 seasons.

And LMFAO if you don't think TE is a wash. Or are you blind to how good Bennet really is? Cook has nearly as many yards and TDs as Bennet in one fewer season and playing with some pretty god awful QBs his entire career. I dunno what you're smoking.

The rest of your babble and/or straw simply proves your lack of comprehension.

Memphis Ram

Legend
jrry32,

We are not going to see eye to eye on this. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm not as desperate as some to see this team give up compensation and overpay an average QB who has been called a coach killer and questionable leader. IMO, if he were truly worthy, chances are he probably wouldn't even be made available by the Bears.

And sorry, but I just don't see how a player can be eliminated from the conversation after only his first 8 NFL starts including 5 vs. the top defenses in the entire league as if there is no room for improvement. This kid is being graded as if he were a veteran with a few seasons under his belt. Sorry, but I saw Drew Brees when he got started and he didn't look any better to me (of course, I'm not saying he'll have the same end).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This would be a good discussion without all the snark.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry32,

We are not going to see eye to eye on this. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm not as desperate as some to see this team give up compensation and overpay an average QB who has been called a coach killer and questionable leader.

And sorry, but I just don't see how a player can be eliminated from the conversation after only his first 8 NFL starts including 5 vs. the top defenses in the entire league as if there is no room for improvement. This kid is being graded as if he were a veteran with a few seasons under his belt. Sorry, but I saw Drew Brees when he got started and he didn't look any better to me (of course, I'm not saying he'll have the same end).

That's the NFL. Most QBs in Davis's situation never even get one start...much less eight. Davis is not a first round pick. He's not going to get multiple years to prove he is or isn't the guy. He got his shot and he blew it. He may never get one again. That's how the cookie crumbles.

IMO, if he were truly worthy, chances are he probably wouldn't even be made available by the Bears.

That's poor logic. You've already told us why he's available. He's overpaid, the Bears are starting over, and he's a questionable leader. That's why he's available. But he's absolutely worthy of being called an average QB.

You can choose not to be "desperate" but I am. Because I'm not about to place my trust in Austin Davis. I'll take the risk here for a 2 year stop gap to allow us to get a more permanent solution.

And that logic could be applied to just about any player that has been traded.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That's the NFL. Most QBs in Davis's situation never even get one start...much less eight. Davis is not a first round pick. He's not going to get multiple years to prove he is or isn't the guy. He got his shot and he blew it. He may never get one again. That's how the cookie crumbles.

May be how the cookie crumbles, but it doesn't mean he couldn't be the guy with more experience.

That's poor logic. You've already told us why he's available. He's overpaid, the Bears are starting over, and he's a questionable leader. That's why he's available. But he's absolutely worthy of being called an average QB.

You can choose not to be "desperate" but I am. Because I'm not about to place my trust in Austin Davis. I'll take the risk here for a 2 year stop gap to allow us to get a more permanent solution.

And that logic could be applied to just about any player that has been traded.

Seems to me that there's a difference between any other player and a QB. Teams don't typically trade their starter without an alternative on the roster.

Again, I've not placed any trust in Austin Davis either. I've just not eliminated him from the conversation.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
May be how the cookie crumbles, but it doesn't mean he couldn't be the guy with more experience.

Yea and maybe Keith Null just needed experience. Yes, I know Null was much worse than Davis. But the point is that the probability is very low. I don't think it would happen. And the Rams or any other NFL team aren't going to wait patiently by as their former 4th string QB(and a UDFA) struggles to prove whether he is or isn't the guy.

That's just how it is. Davis had to come in and light it up. It was his shot. He didn't do it.

Seems to me that there's a difference between any other player and a QB.

I don't think so. Apply your logic to Randy Moss. If Randy Moss were truly worthy, the Raiders wouldn't even make him available.

But they did. And it just so happened that he didn't fit in Oakland but did fit in NE.

Again, I've not placed any trust in Austin Davis either. I've just not eliminated him from the conversation.

I have. He's a third string QB at best for me.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yea and maybe Keith Null just needed experience. Yes, I know Null was much worse than Davis. But the point is that the probability is very low. I don't think it would happen. And the Rams or any other NFL team aren't going to wait patiently by as their former 4th string QB(and a UDFA) struggles to prove whether he is or isn't the guy.

That's just how it is. Davis had to come in and light it up. It was his shot. He didn't do it.

Or he might be the next Jon Kitna or Jake Delhomme. We might never know. But, again, no one is saying that the Rams should wait patiently for Davis to prove whether or not his is "the guy." I'm just saying that he shouldn't be eliminated from the conversation and possible competition.

I don't think so. Apply your logic to Randy Moss. If Randy Moss were truly worthy, the Raiders wouldn't even make him available.

But they did. And it just so happened that he didn't fit in Oakland but did fit in NE.

WR vs. QB. Which one is easier to replace? Your desperation for Cutler already answers that question.

I have. He's a third string QB at best for me.

I know. But, have you ever been wrong on a player before? Is it not at least possible that you could be wrong on a Davis with more experience here? Sure, he may never be a world beater, but he doesn't have to be for this team to contend.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or he might be the next Jon Kitna. We might never know. But, again, no one is saying that the Rams should wait patiently for Davis to prove whether or not his is "the guy." I'm just saying that he shouldn't be eliminated from the conversation and possible competition.

Who will be competing? Lets be honest, he's not beating out Bradford or Cutler. He's not getting the nod over a first round pick.

So if he's actually realistically in the competition...that likely means we're in trouble.

WR vs. QB. Which one is easier to replace? Your desperation for Cutler already answers that question.

Irrelevant. The Bears are making Cutler available for reasons beyond pure performance.

I know. But, have you ever been wrong on a player before? Is it not at least possible that you could be wrong on a Davis with more experience here?

Have I been wrong? Many times. Is it possible? Sure. Anything is possible. But I feel very confident in my stance.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Who will be competing? Lets be honest, he's not beating out Bradford or Cutler. He's not getting the nod over a first round pick.

So if he's actually realistically in the competition...that likely means we're in trouble.

We don't know who the competition will be yet. We don't know who stays healthy. We just don't know. BTW, he could very well get the nod over a 1st round pick, initially.

Irrelevant. The Bears are making Cutler available for reasons beyond pure performance.

But, performance is included as to why the Bears would be making Cutler available. He's got 24 turnovers to go with his 30 TDs and has been called out by his offensive coordinator for not getting out of bad plays. Do you really believe he'd be on the bench if it weren't? This isn't Al Davis vs. Marcus Allen here.

Have I been wrong? Many times. Is it possible? Sure. Anything is possible. But I feel very confident in my stance.

And I'm confident that we don't know.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what I understand, performance is included as to why the Bears would be making Cutler available. He's got 24 turnovers to go with his 30 TDs and has been called out by his offensive coordinator for not getting out of bad plays. Do you really believe he'd be on the bench if it weren't? This isn't Al Davis vs. Marcus Allen here.

They're starting Jimmy Clausen. He was benched for more than just performance issues.

Cutler has been Cutler. Trestman(and Emery) was just a fool to think that putting the team on Jay's shoulders and building around him was the way to go. His performance has been very Cutler like. He's average and that's what he's been.

Unfortunately, an average QB on a team with the worst defense in the NFL and a mediocre rushing attack is not a winning formula.

Memphis Ram

Legend
They're starting Jimmy Clausen. He was benched for more than just performance issues.

Cutler has been Cutler. Trestman(and Emery) was just a fool to think that putting the team on Jay's shoulders and building around him was the way to go. His performance has been very Cutler like. He's average and that's what he's been.

Unfortunately, an average QB on a team with the worst defense in the NFL and a mediocre rushing attack is not a winning formula.

OK So let's hope the Rams provide compensation to the Bears for the right to take over a bad contract and overpay an average QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK So let's hope the Rams provide compensation to the Bears for the right to take over a bad contract and overpay an average QB.

Sounds fine to me. We can afford it. Would give us what we need to compete next year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, @moklerman maybe I overvalued Cutler...

If they have to send a high pick to us, I'd gladly take him off their hands. He's just a bridge anyway, so why not take him if you're getting a pick out of it as well? Gives us more flexibility in the draft.

I've gone from loving this mock to saying, "I hope to fucking fate that this is the scenario that we get in real life."