Cutler Scenario Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've got a little too much free time right now with break so I'll throw another out there. While this isn't exactly what I'd do, I'm exploring a scenario where the Rams and Fisher decided to grab Cutler. So it's a mix of draft prospects that I like with the Cutler scenario spin. Also, I made a couple small changes to the overall mock.
Released
Jake Long - $8 million in cap savings
Kendall Langford - $6 million in cap savings
Scott Wells - $3.8 million in cap savings
Eugene Sims - $1.9 million in cap savings
Isaiah Pead - $900,000 in cap savings
Total Cap Savings: $20.6 million
Total Cap Room: $27.1 million

Re-signed Players
Kenny Britt - 3 years $15 million($5 million first year)
Lance Kendricks - 2 years $6 million($3 million first year)
Shaun Hill - 1 year $1.5 million
Mike Person - 1 year $745,000
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Tim Barnes - RFA($1.4 million - Original round)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Total Cap Spent: $11.6 million
Total Cap Room: $15.5 million

Free Agency
C.J. Mosley DT
c.j.-mosley-suspended.jpg

1 year $1.7 million

Rotational DT known for his run stuffing ability to replace Kendall Langford.

Leger Douzable DT
med_gallery_5331_85_72722.jpg

2 years $3.0 million($1.5 million first year)

Another rotational DT that can step in and stuff the run when needed. Takes Carrington's spot in the rotation. Can also play DE.

You guys might ask why I'm not spending more in FA. I would rather hold onto the money and use it to extend our own players. I don't see anyone in FA this year that I feel is a need and a must have player. Devin McCourty is the only exception but I believe that New England will franchise him.

Trades
St. Louis trades HB Zac Stacy
Tennessee trades 6th round pick(#2)

St. Louis trades 3rd round(#14), Conditional 2016 4th(becomes a third if Cutler plays 75% of the offensive snaps and a second if he plays 75% of the offensive snaps and the Rams make the playoffs)
Chicago trades QB Jay Cutler

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZvfg4ALNc

St. Louis trades QB Sam Bradford
Buffalo trades 3rd round(#20), Conditional 2016 4th(becomes a third if Bradford plays 75% of the offensive snaps and a second if he plays 75% of the offensive snaps and the Bills make the playoffs)

We trade Stacy because he's fallen behind Cunningham and Mason but still has value and could be a good HB on another team. Tennessee wants to replace Shonn Greene and Stacy offers them a better version of Greene to pair with Sankey.

Jeff Fisher LOVED Cutler when he was a prospect but was overruled by his FO who chose Vince Young. I still think that Fisher is a big Cutler fan. Mike Shanahan, who is a close friend of Fisher, will likely have positive things to say about Cutler. I think we're the team to watch with him. Some might ask why the Bills gave up for Bradford what we gave up for Cutler. Why wouldn't they just trade for Cutler? I think some teams will shy away from Cutler because of his reputation and his contract. His contract is a bigger risk than Sam's because, essentially, his 2015 and 2016 base salaries are guaranteed. We're willing to take the risk on Cutler and use his trade as the barometer for what Sam is worth.

With Jay Cutler on the team, Bradford is expendable and the Bills have been expressing a lot of interest. They have no first but they do have cap flexibility and a coach that believes Bradford fits his system on a team that is a QB away from contending. They're willing to take the injury risk on a young QB who still possesses a lot of talent and has proven he can be a solid starting QB in the NFL. Buffalo also is able to work out with Bradford's agent an extension in principle that will offer Bradford guaranteed money but lower his cap number in 2015. They offer him somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 years $24-30 million with 12-15 million guaranteed to replace his 1 year $13 million deal.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #14 - T.J. Clemmings OT Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnHskA1dtKM

Analysis: Lets just say that if Clemmings is on the board here, we're VERY VERY lucky. I am starting to get worried that he'll go top 8. The only thing that might hold him back is that he has not played LT in college. But he did accept an invitation to the Senior Bowl. Clemmings is a former DE that actually played on the same DL with Aaron Donald. He switched to RT right before the bowl game in 2012 and has started there in 2013 and 2014. Let me tell you, this kid is one hell of a football player. He reminds me of Tyron Smith. He is a freakish athlete that has extraordinary burst off the ball, is smooth in his redirection and lateral movements, has the strength and leg drive to move players around at the POA, and has plenty of length. Clemmings also carries his 305-315 pounds extremely well. He looks like a TE out there. He is 6'5" to 6'6" with long arms for his size(my guess is around 35 inches). As a run blocker, he uses his athleticism and power so well. It makes him an absolutely devastating blocker for Pittsburgh. He is capable of reaching, sealing, pulling, and trapping. He's so good at firing off the LOS and getting across the face of the defender or reaching outside and hooking defenders. When he's asked to get to the second level, he's very adept at getting into space and making key blocks. He's also an excellent tandem blocker with the ability to rub defenders and then peel off and make key blocks. This guy is a difference-maker on the edge in the run game. He's a tad raw as a pass protector but don't be fooled. He's a lot more refined than you'd expect out of a guy with his experience(well, inexperience) at the position. He's so smooth, light on his feet, and measured in his movements that he makes it look easy to mirror and take defenders completely out of his game. His balance, strength, and length make it very difficult for defenders to do much against him. Clemmings is still learning when it comes to his punch timing and placement but it's a lot more polished than you expect and he needs to be more consistent with his angles but he's really a natural out there for how developed he is with so little time at the position. Watching him play, it's so easy to see that this kid is going to be something special in the NFL. I saw him make Anthony Chickillo look utterly invisible in the Miami game and Chickillo will be playing on Sundays (likely a mid to late round pick but Clemmings just completely dominated him). Paul Boudreau will be drooling over this kid.

Round 2 Pick #14 - A.J. Cann OG South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

Analysis: Cann is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. I think he's a very NFL ready prospect with the tools to be a very good NFL LG. I have compared him to Josh Sitton. Cann has very flexible hips and ankles with a good sized frame at 6'4" 320. He shows the power to get movement in the running game and consistently shoots off the ball low to the ground which allows him to win the leverage battle. Cann also shows a good understanding of position and angles because South Carolina, unfortunately, has him sealing, reaching, and hooking far more often than he should in their zone heavy scheme. Cann shows the ability to be devastating while down blocking and drive blocking. Still, I wish he had more of a mean steak as I don't think he finishes blocks like he should. He doesn't look to bury defenders at all time and doesn't play through the whistle like Scherff and Sambrailo do. As a pass protector, Cann has some flaws that he needs to improve upon. He's very comfortable mirroring in his stance although he does sometimes cheat on his position step. Cann shows impressive lateral agility, is smooth when forced to redirect, sits comfortably in his stance with great bend/flexibility in his hips and ankles, and Cann has outstanding balance. He also understands how to position himself to protect his QB and open up passing lanes. Cann's hand strength and grip are extraordinary. Once he gets his hands locked in on the chest, defenders rarely are able to disengage even when they seem to have him beat. However, Cann's biggest issues with his pass protection are related to his arm position while setting, his punch timing, and his hand placement. Cann doesn't keep his elbows tight when setting off the LOS and rarely ever lands the first punch. He often relies on counter-punching after the DL has gotten his hands on him. Cann also does not do a good job of targeting his punches inside the shoulders and is often sloppy with his placement. These are all issues that I think should be corrected with NFL level coaching but they are a problem right now. If he fixes the problem, though, due to his hand strength and grip, he'll be one hell of a pass protector.

Round 3 Pick #20 - Devontae Booker HB Utah

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okJSdC99PKs

Analysis: Booker is the definition of the word decisive and that's a great thing(it's what I said about Le'Veon Bell as a prospect). He doesn't dance in the back-field and he doesn't waste time. He gets the ball and he knows exactly where he's going. He does a really nice job of pressing the line of scrimmage before making his cut up-field. Even when forced to bounce it outside, Booker wastes no time in getting N-S. At 5'11" 205, he's not a power HB and shouldn't be mistaken for one. Booker has outstanding feet and explosive burst. He doesn't possess great long speed but in those first 5-10 yards, he's very fast. Booker uses his cuts well to setup defenders and blocks. He is shifty with quick feet and a nice jump cut. Booker also possesses impressive balance which makes him a slippery runner and tougher to knock off his feet than you'd expect. And probably the biggest thing for me with Booker is his ability to catch the football. He has outstanding hands and body control. He can adjust to poorly thrown balls and will make his mark in the NFL as a receiver out of the back-field. I love Booker's versatility and the urgency in his running style. He'll get the yards that are blocked and he can create some on his own with his cutting ability and slipperyness as a runner. Some scouts have compared him to Arian Foster.

Round 5 Pick #14 - A.J. Derby TE Arkansas

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11722579

Analysis: A.J. Derby was Arkansas's backup QB last year but moved to TE in the spring this year before his Senior year. While his stats don't seem elite, I think he's a kid who has a lot of upside to him. Derby is listed at 6'5" 255 and still has some weight to gain at the TE position. He shows off good athleticism as a receiver and has made some really nice circus catches this year. But most of all, despite being new to the position, Derby is a very willing blocker who shows a lot of promise in that department. Arkansas has used him all over the formation including at FB, in the slot, split out wide, and inline at TE. Derby is a high effort kid who plays through the whistle. His blocking and receiver skills all need polishing but this is a good kid to develop behind the TEs we have.

Round 6 Pick #2 - Rob Havenstein OT/OG Wisconsin

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTftkxEBw0U

Analysis: Havenstein is a massive man at 6'8" 330 but I think he's one of the few really big guys that can play OG. He seems to do a nice job of getting leverage in the run game and is your typical Wisconsin OL. He's a blue collar guy that can get some movement in the run game. Doesn't have overpowering strength but is able to generate movement while drive blocking and does a solid job with his positioning and angles. Also seems to have good burst off the LOS for his size and is relatively fast in a straight-line. He won't be a backup LT for us as he doesn't have the lateral agility to play there in the NFL. I think he could be a backup RT but he'd likely need some help with chipping on more athletic OLBs and DEs as his lateral agility is mediocre and he can struggle to hold the corner against faster rushers. However, as an OG, I think he has potential. He has a wide base in pass pro and controls players when he gets his hands on them. He had to compensate for his lateral agility in space which affected his anchor but I think at OG, his anchor will be fine. Only thing that concerns me is leverage and flexibility but I think he can get away with it. Like Alex Boone, I think he's a big guy that can passable at OT but might have a future at OG. He'll provide depth behind Saffold, Cann, Clemmings, and Robinson.(if Robinson goes down, Clemmings or Saffold would likely slide over to LT)

Round 7 Pick #31 - J.J. Nelson WR/KR UAB

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P34KWtpfzAQ

Analysis: With this being the late 7th round, I usually look for a player that can fill a certain role for our team. J.J. Nelson returned FOUR kickoffs for TDs in 2014. He led the NCAA in average yards per kickoff return. Nelson is listed at 5'11" 160 but possesses breathtaking speed. I wouldn't be surprised if he flirts with a 4.2 40. I saw him run right by Phillip Gaines who ran in the mid 4.3s in a game. Nelson has rare speed, impressive cutting ability, and good balance which makes him a very dangerous returnman. However, the guy also actually has some WR skills that could allow him to challenge Givens's role as the situational deep threat. Even if he doesn't, this kid has potential to be a special teams dynamo. Bennie has done a great job on KRs this year but I'd love to get a guy who could take it to the house.

Starting Line-up
QB: Jay Cutler
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: A.J. Cann
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: T.J. Clemmings

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: J.J. Nelson
PR: Tavon Austin

As you can see, there are still some familiar names but I did make some changes and I thought it would be an interesting scenario. At minimum, Cutler should have pass protection and defense behind him. I think we could win with him. The Bears went 27-13 with Cutler at QB and Marinhelli at DC.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be blunt, that Clemmings kid is incredible. Every thing you want in a franchise LT is there and the guy makes it look easy. Every time Chickillo rushed the passer, Clemmings was right there in front of him. Chickillo never had a choice to do anything but try to go through Clemmings and Clemmings stonewalled him with what seemed like ease.

He's strong, incredibly athletic, light on his feet, well-balanced, long, and smooth changing directions. That kid will be as good as he wants to be. I am legitimately concerned that #14 is far too late. I won't be shocked if after the Senior Bowl and Combine, he's seen as a top 3-5 pick. But I will be saddened because oh boy is he good.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If we had to take Cutler...I would not have a single problem with this offseason. Aside from McLeod being the starter at free safety over Joyner, I love this entire draft scenario. Well done.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we had to take Cutler...I would not have a single problem with this offseason. Aside from McLeod being the starter at free safety over Joyner, I love this entire draft scenario. Well done.

Joyner is still here. Just has to earn the starting job. ;)

You know who I favor.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Joyner is still here. Just has to earn the starting job. ;)

You know who I favor.

Honest question: do you think that there's a trade market for McLeod? If we got another pick for him, then maybe a guy like IEO becomes an option with that pick.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Cutler has Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey & Martellus Bennett and the Bears have barely scored more points than the Rams.

Here's another one of those overpaid, overrated QBs that teams grab ahold of panning for gold. The Rams would be crazy to trade for Culter AND THAT CONTRACT.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
To be blunt, that Clemmings kid is incredible. Every thing you want in a franchise LT is there and the guy makes it look easy. Every time Chickillo rushed the passer, Clemmings was right there in front of him. Chickillo never had a choice to do anything but try to go through Clemmings and Clemmings stonewalled him with what seemed like ease.

He's strong, incredibly athletic, light on his feet, well-balanced, long, and smooth changing directions. That kid will be as good as he wants to be. I am legitimately concerned that #14 is far too late. I won't be shocked if after the Senior Bowl and Combine, he's seen as a top 3-5 pick. But I will be saddened because oh boy is he good.

This is one kid I covet I concur he'll be off the board, but if the Rams somehow get him I would be very pleased and if they added Cann to the Offensive Line as well the Rams could sign Spanky McFarland to play Quarterback and be just fine!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Love it. People say Cutler is a turnover machine, but he's only thrown 5 more all year than our team. He's also thrown for ten more TDs. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be happy with an additional 70 points on the year. And if Bradford can't go, which QB on our squad has the deep arm to match all of the deep speed on our roster? And finally, which QB in the draft can come in and read defenses if Bradford goes down again? Drafting one is essentially sitting one. Give me Cutler for 2 years and if/when he starts to become disgruntled, we'll have already reaped the benefits.

Athos

Legend
Max protect Cutler and I don't you see half the issues he's had recently with the Bears. Their line is trash, their coaching a joke, and are mirroring the Cubs.

I'd take Cutler's arm talent for sure. The crop of QBs will be shit for this year and next. He'd be an awesome bridge if Sam can't go.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cutler has Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey & Martellus Bennett and the Bears have barely scored more points than the Rams.

Here's another one of those overpaid, overrated QBs that teams grab ahold of panning for gold. The Rams would be crazy to trade for Culter AND THAT CONTRACT.

Overpaid? Absolutely. Said that when they signed him. Overrated? Nah. He is what he is and I think most people are aware of that.

As far as points go, the Bears have 36 offensive TDs this year. The Rams have 28.

The contract is what it is. Essentially a two year deal to allow us to find our next QB. I don't want to be forced to take a QB I'm not comfortable with. Cutler buys us time...at about $16 million a year. But hey, still buys us time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honest question: do you think that there's a trade market for McLeod? If we got another pick for him, then maybe a guy like IEO becomes an option with that pick.

Probably not. If there is, I don't think it's significant enough for us to pull the trigger. McLeod has a lot of value to us because of his versatility.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Overpaid? Absolutely. Said that when they signed him. Overrated? Nah. He is what he is and I think most people are aware of that.

As far as points go, the Bears have 36 offensive TDs this year. The Rams have 28.

The contract is what it is. Essentially a two year deal to allow us to find our next QB. I don't want to be forced to take a QB I'm not comfortable with. Cutler buys us time...at about $16 million a year. But hey, still buys us time.

8 more TDs isn't much considering the talent and competition. Especially when one looks at the garbage time scores, I've actually grown to appreciate as a new fantasy football player.:D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
8 more TDs isn't much considering the talent and competition. Especially when one looks at the garbage time scores, I've actually grown to appreciate as a new fantasy football player.:D

Cutler
First Half: 14 TDs to 8 Ints
Second Half: 14 TDs to 10 Ints
First Quarter: 6 TDs to 3 Ints
Second Quarter: 8 TDs to 5 Ints
Third Quarter: 6 TDs to 4 Ints
Fourth Quarter: 8 TDs to 6 Ints

I don't see garbage time being that much of a boost to his stats. In the first three quarters, he's averaging 7 TDs to 4 Ints per quarter. In the fourth, he has 8 TDs to 6 Ints. His QB Rating by quarter is:
First - 89.9 QB Rating
Second - 86.8 QB Rating
Third - 100.4 QB Rating
Fourth - 83.2 QB Rating

It seems like garbage time might be hurting his overall numbers.

I don't think Cutler is a superstar but he'd definitely do a lot more for this team than Hill and Davis.

FRO

Legend
Well, he's likely the best of a bad situation.
I don't know that's true. The money we would have to pay him would hurt us when it comes to retaining some of our guys coming up for contract. He is Jeff George 2.0. Tons of talent, sometimes he looks great, other times he sucks. He is what he is, a middle of the road to below average QB with the skills to be elite.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Cutler
First Half: 14 TDs to 8 Ints
Second Half: 14 TDs to 10 Ints
First Quarter: 6 TDs to 3 Ints
Second Quarter: 8 TDs to 5 Ints
Third Quarter: 6 TDs to 4 Ints
Fourth Quarter: 8 TDs to 6 Ints

I don't see garbage time being that much of a boost to his stats. In the first three quarters, he's averaging 7 TDs to 4 Ints per quarter. In the fourth, he has 8 TDs to 6 Ints. His QB Rating by quarter is:
First - 89.9 QB Rating
Second - 86.8 QB Rating
Third - 100.4 QB Rating
Fourth - 83.2 QB Rating

It seems like garbage time might be hurting his overall numbers.

I don't think Cutler is a superstar but he'd definitely do a lot more for this team than Hill and Davis.

I was referring to the Bears offensive scoring overall. Not just Cutler's TD throws.

Was going by fantasy football memory, but I just did a quick look through some games:

TD Pass to Jeffrey with 36 seconds left down 31-8 vs. Saints.
Two TDs vs Cowboys after being down 38-13.
TD Pass after being down 45-0 vs. Packers.
Two TDs vs. Patriots after being down 45-7 and 48-15, respectively.
Mid 4th Quarter TD down 24-7 vs. Miami

That's 7 of the Bears extra TDs scores right there.

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
I don't know that's true. The money we would have to pay him would hurt us when it comes to retaining some of our guys coming up for contract. He is Jeff George 2.0. Tons of talent, sometimes he looks great, other times he sucks. He is what he is, a middle of the road to below average QB with the skills to be elite.

How so? It's basically the same deal we've been paying Sam for the last several years. Granted, we'd have to eat this year's guaranteed still left, but still, not much of a difference.

He isn't below average....Like jrry said, not eltie, but not below average. We could and HAVE done worse.

We just can't win enough in the NFC West with a QB like Hill/Davis/Rookie.

I was referring to the Bears offensive scoring overall. Not just Cutler's TD throws.

Okay.

Bills Game? No garbage stats.
Whiners? Completed the comeback.
Jets? No garbage stats.
GB? None. Rodgers just put them over the barrel in the 2nd.
Carolina? Just bad defense.
Falcons? Nope. Just big stats. Incredibly, week 6 is their first week with a rushing TD from a RB. Goes to show how piss poor the Bear's line has been.
Phins? Push.
NE? Yea. THOSE are garbage stats.
GB again? Yea. But this is the big decline of the Bears at this point.

Min? Win
TB? Win.
DET? Had a 14-3 lead after the 1st. But shit if you gonna win a game rushing for 18 yards.
DAL? I suppose, they Cutler did get those back within 10 with 6 minutes left. Certainly a game of it if he has the Rams D.
NO? I suppose, but again, team quit at this point and the D is playing at a HS level.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He's not Jeff George. You know what you're going to get from Cutler on a year to year basis. You never really knew that about George. Cutler is just consistently average to above average. He's this generation's Kerry Collins, Drew Bledsoe, Brad Johnson, etc.

You're going to get average to above average play out of him and that's it. But I am at a loss as to why Rams fans think we have so many better options. Jameis doesn't seem to be a strong option and most Rams fans don't want him. Bradford is an option but an extremely risky one and most Rams fans don't want to take that risk. They're too good for Cutler.

So who exactly do Rams fans think is going to solve our QB woes? We're too good for average starting QBs. The QBs in the draft class are either unavailable when we pick or aren't good enough. Our QB can't be counted on. What are we going to do? Where is our stability?

As far as the money is concerned, if we trade Bradford and trade for Cutler, we're paying around $2.5 million more for Cutler in 2015...so it doesn't really hurt us next year.

FRO

Legend
He's not Jeff George. You know what you're going to get from Cutler on a year to year basis. You never really knew that about George. Cutler is just consistently average to above average. He's this generation's Kerry Collins, Drew Bledsoe, Brad Johnson, etc.

You're going to get average to above average play out of him and that's it. But I am at a loss as to why Rams fans think we have so many better options. Jameis doesn't seem to be a strong option and most Rams fans don't want him. Bradford is an option but an extremely risky one and most Rams fans don't want to take that risk. They're too good for Cutler.

So who exactly do Rams fans think is going to solve our QB woes? We're too good for average starting QBs. The QBs in the draft class are either unavailable when we pick or aren't good enough. Our QB can't be counted on. What are we going to do? Where is our stability?

As far as the money is concerned, if we trade Bradford and trade for Cutler, we're paying around $2.5 million more for Cutler in 2015...so it doesn't really hurt us next year.
I would rather roll with Bradford if it were my decision. Maybe I'm insane to expect a different result.