Cutler / Bears Agree To New Deal Through 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My point being, the reason we got the huge haul from Washington in the RGIII trade, was because there were ONLY 2 quality QBs people saw as viable. If you water down the pool by adding more prospects, the urgency diminishes, as they can "get the next guy" if they miss out of one of the first two.

I'm not on board with your argument, coach.

I don't think teams stack their QB prospects like that... i.e. we miss this one we grab the next guy.

Case in point; Austin vs Patterson. The Rams wanted Austin. They went and got him.

The same love affair, even more pronounced, happens with the most important investment you can make (QB). Think Manning / Phillip Rivers circa 2004.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm not on board with your argument, coach.

I don't think teams stack their QB prospects like that... i.e. we miss this one we grab the next guy.

Case in point; Austin vs Patterson. The Rams wanted Austin. They went and got him.

The same love affair, even more pronounced, happens with the most important investment you can make (QB). Think Manning / Phillip Rivers circa 2004.

I'm not saying there won't still be interest. But teams are less likely to go "all in" on a particular guy, especially when there is no clear cut "best guy". Each one of these guys has individual strengths and weaknesses to their game. This is NOT like the Luck/RGIII year, and especially not like the Manning/Rivers debate.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'm not saying there won't still be interest. But teams are less likely to go "all in" on a particular guy, especially when there is no clear cut "best guy". Each one of these guys has individual strengths and weaknesses to their game. This is NOT like the Luck/RGIII year, and especially not like the Manning/Rivers debate.

Shhh... Coach we're trying to create some hype here. :heh:

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Cutler, 7 yrs. 125 million, 54 million guaranteed. Ouch. Gotta wonder what it will take to resign Sam.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Cutler, 7 yrs. 125 million, 54 million guaranteed. Ouch. Gotta wonder what it will take to resign Sam.

About the same as this.

People think Sam's contract is large now? Guess what? QBs are expensive when you find one. He's as cheap now as he'll ever be.

Yeah Wilson and Kaperdick's on the cheap... But only for another 2yrs. Then...cha ching.

It's the way it is. But hey, you can always be like Cleveland, Buffalo, and others and keep searching every year! Good luck with that! (Not directed at you Poway)

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Yeah , there are only two kinds of teams: ones that have a QB and ones that are looking for a QB. The ouch was directed at Cutler. Just think it's a scary amount of money for a guy who has always had a bunch of talent around him, yet blows up at the worst possible moments all the time.

Don't believe he will ever take them all the way....

lasvegasrams

Rookie
I disagree. If this indeed were to happen, it would just lessen the value of the "trade down", by adding another legitimate QB to the mix. Assuming that Bridgewater and Manziel are already in that discussion, why would you want to add a 3rd QB, along with Clowney, allowing teams to hold out for one of the 3?

Best case scenario, Bortles flops, or Manziel causes another off-field story further raising questions to his character, leaving teams wanting/needing a QB to bid against one another for the remaining target.

Good point, but the dropoff from teddy and bortles to manziel is huge, but i am not sure if gms see it that way

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I said it in another thread and agree with coach here. 2 top QB's and Clowney is all we need to get top $ for our #2 overall, anymore QB's rising raises uncertainty.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I gotta disagree, Coach. The Luck/RGIII year had Ryan Tannehill who also went in the top 8. Teams fall in love with THEIR QB.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Good for us but boy Chicago is going to regret that contract if there's a bunch guaranteed. He is not a franchise QB, IMO.

Doesn't it just show how important it is to have a known quantity at QB. Even if he's not "elite" level, teams have to have a decent QB. Ok - so Cutler is a bit of an interception machine, but you know what you're getting with the guy. That cant be said about rookies. Its so hard to find a franchise QB - which is what some Sam Bradford bashers should remember!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I gotta disagree, Coach. The Luck/RGIII year had Ryan Tannehill who also went in the top 8. Teams fall in love with THEIR QB.

But how much is that just them not being willing or able to get the TOP guys, so they don't bother getting involved in the bidding war?

And you could just as easily say that Tanneyhill is the perfect example of what I am talking about. Wasn't even close to the level of talent as the other two, but "good enough" for a team like Miami to know they could get "their guy" without engaging in the Luck/RGIII sweepstakes.

I get it, and I'm not saying that there won't be teams bidding on the#2 pick. But to say that the "more the merrier" doesn't impact that is naïve. Just my opinion. There's no real way of knowing either way. All it takes is ONE team to want "their guy" bad enough not to risk losing him to someone else.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
But how much is that just them not being willing or able to get the TOP guys, so they don't bother getting involved in the bidding war?

And you could just as easily say that Tanneyhill is the perfect example of what I am talking about. Wasn't even close to the level of talent as the other two, but "good enough" for a team like Miami to know they could get "their guy" without engaging in the Luck/RGIII sweepstakes.

I get it, and I'm not saying that there won't be teams bidding on the#2 pick. But to say that the "more the merrier" doesn't impact that is naïve. Just my opinion. There's no real way of knowing either way. All it takes is ONE team to want "their guy" bad enough not to risk losing him to someone else.

I'd argue, after their evaluation, Tannehill was "their guy".

Doesn't mean Luck wasn't rated ahead, but they targeted Tannehill.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'd argue, after their evaluation, Tannehill was "their guy".

Doesn't mean Luck wasn't rated ahead, but they targeted Tannehill.

Of course he was,, That's because they knew they couldn't get either Luck or RGIII, either because the knew they didn't have the resources to get in the bidding war, or they chose not to.

we have beaten this to death. Like I said, it doesn't change things either way. Bottom line, the Rams will get offers, I just wonder how far they go if there are 5 guys in the mix.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Of course he was,, That's because they knew they couldn't get either Luck or RGIII, either because the knew they didn't have the resources to get in the bidding war, or they chose not to.

we have beaten this to death. Like I said, it doesn't change things either way. Bottom line, the Rams will get offers, I just wonder how far they go if there are 5 guys in the mix.

Yes, no doubt. I appreciate the debate, Coach. It's fun to discuss.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

That's kind of the way I look at it. Get as many guys as possible worthy of the #2 selection. Someone will fall in love and pay what it takes to get their guy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Precisely. That's why I feel it doesn't come into that much of an effect. All it takes is the Browns getting paranoid that the Jaguars will take Manziel or that another team will trade up for him. Or the Raiders getting paranoid that someone in front of them will take Bortles. You get the point. They find their guy and teams tend to trigger happy on draft day. Look at the Browns trading up for Trent Richardson.

More QBs in the top 10 the merrier. Pushes talent down the board to pick #13.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The true pecking order won't even begin to be set until March and finalized in April. And oh it will change. Barr and Clowney are freakish athletes that will assert themselves at the combine and teams will be tripping over themselves to maneuver into position to draft them. I believe Watkins and Lee separate themselves athletically and become highly sought after, if Lee is healthy and can flash that track star speed. The Big Board is animate