Current thoughts on McVay?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tbux

Rookie
Let me start by saying he was my 3rd choice this year behind McDaniels and M Shanahan. It has been beat to death- but first time coaches rarely succeed, and as young as he is, it just doesn't happen. I liked what he did in Wash, but didn't think he was the right guy- but applauded the fact they got the guy they believed in.

Now- McDaniels- why I wanted him- Usually it takes 2 tries before your ego realizes why you failed the first time around. It comes down to who you worked with, your intelligence, and ability to adapt. All traits I feel he has and I do think he will succeed his next go around. So he was my top choice.

Now- that said- once someone is a Ram- they have my full support until they give reason not to = and so I started my research. I have now seen no less than 10 interviews, and I am astounded by this guys poise, intelligence, and understanding of the game. He then goes out and SMARTLY gets W Phillips. WP is in the twilight of his career- and would NEVER go be a DC for someone he didn't think was the right guy. THat is #1. To then go and get the other coaches he did was just impressive. It tells me he wasn't afraid to hire guys who could replace him- because he knew he was the right guy.

Now long way to go- but this guy has earned by respect thus far- I have spoken to some diehard Wash fans I know- and the all think he is special and hated him leaving. They attribute success of Cousins to him. The age thing still scares me- but I cant believe how sharp he seems and how composed his is. Still, until we see him making in game adjustments, dealing with player issues etc- still premature, but I for one am optimistic this guy can buck the trend. Lets all hope he does!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm right there with you, tbux.

I preferred Shanahan at the time.

But, honestly, the more I learn about McVay, the more I like.

I'm now of the opinion that the Rams hit a HR with this hire. He seems almost too good to be true, in fact.

The real games will tell the tale, of course. But as of right now, I couldn't be happier with this McVay hire.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
The jury remains out for me.
I think in time, he will be a very good if not great head coach...but that is speculation at this point.
He's just coming in to one of the most difficult situations ever, in the NFL for any coach, let alone for the youngest ever first time head coach. He seems poised and knowledgeable for sure, I am hopeful that will transfer into positive results on the field.

McDaniels was not even on my radar, however M Shanahan was my first choice. I just wish the Rams would have at least interviewed him.

I am hopeful and supportive, but remain unconvinced at this time.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's been around Pro football guys all is life. He's been absorbing it from a very early age. I was skeptical, but not really surprised. I can't point out any move he's made that I disagree with so far.

tbux

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The jury remains out for me.
I think in time, he will be a very good if not great head coach...but that is speculation at this point.
He's just coming in to one of the most difficult situations ever, in the NFL for any coach, let alone for the youngest ever first time head coach. He seems poised and knowledgeable for sure, I am hopeful that will transfer into positive results on the field.

I am hopeful and supportive, but remain unconvinced at this time.

I disagree he is coming into a bad situation. I think Shanahan is in SF. Now of course this depends on Goff being a good QB- I am of the opinion this kind of coaching will elevate him a ton.

So you have a top drafted QB, a top level RB ( if Oline is ok) an upgraded Oline, upgraded receiving corp, a very solid D and DC, and a very solid ST. So I think he walked into a pretty solid situation IMO- of course most of this depends on Goff.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I disagree he is coming into a bad situation.

I'm guessing that's a joke....? :sneaky:
Just kidding, I'm kidding.....you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Yes, the Rams have a top drafted QB...but then so was Jamarcus Russell..and Ryan Leaf..and Tim Couch..and..well you know...on and on.
I like Goff but all he is at this time is a "Top drafted QB" PERIOD.
Upgraded receiving core - speculation.
Upgraded Oline - speculation.
Top level RB - I agree, but still in question.

The Rams just finished the worst 10 year or so win/loss record in NFL history.
With drafting being some of the worst of all time over that period.

Things may not be as bad as I think but I guess just we disagree. However, I don't even see how it's possible he's coming into a "solid situation." Not even close IMHO.

tbux

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm guessing that's a joke....? :sneaky:
Just kidding, I'm kidding.....you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Yes, the Rams have a top drafted QB...but then so was Jamarcus Russell..and Ryan Leaf..and Tim Couch..and..well you know...on and on.
I like Goff but all he is at this time is a "Top drafted QB" PERIOD.
Upgraded receiving core - speculation.
Upgraded Oline - speculation.
Top level RB - I agree, but still in question.

The Rams just finished the worst 10 year or so win/loss record in NFL history.
With drafting being some of the worst of all time over that period.

Things may not be as bad as I think but I guess just we disagree. However, I don't even see how it's possible he's coming into a "solid situation." Not even close IMHO.

Goff is question- no doubt- but I think we are all gonna be glad what we see this year.

Oline I don't think there is a question it is upgraded?? how you figuring it is questionable?

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
For me, as soon as his name was mentioned:

MCVAY>>>>>>> shanahan/McDaniels

As soon as I read the stories and articles about shanahan's attitude, I immediately lumped him with McDaniels and said NO THANKS!!! you can have all the brain power in the world, but if you can't set a good example and/or you are a poor communicator, you will NEVER make it as a head coach.

I am so thankful for our coach thus far and I'm really proud of Kroenke, Demoff, Snead, and everyone else involved in the process of interviewing, and ultimately, hiring him.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If he can get Goff to produce in the Cousins ballpark, he is going to succeed. Phillips is too good of a DC to not have us in the playoffs with a decent offense. I honestly think he is the right man for the job. He builds his offense around his players, and never seems to try to fit a square peg into a round hole. This team may be way more talented than we ever thought possible. Our last 2.5 OCs belonged nowhere near the call sheet.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I disagree he is coming into a bad situation. I think Shanahan is in SF. Now of course this depends on Goff being a good QB- I am of the opinion this kind of coaching will elevate him a ton.

So you have a top drafted QB, a top level RB ( if Oline is ok) an upgraded Oline, upgraded receiving corp, a very solid D and DC, and a very solid ST. So I think he walked into a pretty solid situation IMO- of course most of this depends on Goff.
It goes much deeper then that. McVay has to come in here and completely erase a long time culture of losing. Shanahan is just rebuilding a roster.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Will wait a year to draw any conclusions. People will have problems with his play calling and in game management, just like every other coach we've ever had. Approval rating is always highest before they coach their first game.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's waaaaaay too early to give a grade to McVay, but even so,,, I have no doubt in my mind that he is taking our offense out of it's middle school jail cell and moving it into an NFL penthouse.

As for McDaniels and Shanahan... I am so thankful that we didn't settle for either one of them. Simply put. They are both wanna be assholes... but what they both really are are dysfunctional dickheads. I can't stand either one of them and I get the feeling that players will see right through both of them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wanted Kyle Shanahan because of his scheme and quite frankly Sean McVay was not on my radar, but others had him and the Gruden recommendation was huge to Demoff, who, IMHO wanted Jon Gruden because of the Tampa connection.

Demoff stated in the McVay's introductory press conference when you close your eyes and listen to McVay, it sounds like Jon Gruden, so let's not forget that connection. When the Rams approached Jon Gruden about the opening and he stated he was not coming back to coaching, they asked about Kyle Shanahan and Gruden informed the Rams that Shanahan was good, but Sean McVay was special.

Everything will be judged against the 49ers because I believe if the Rams focused on Shanahan, he would be their Head Coach, but in turn, the 49ers would have hired McVay with McVay's Grandfather John being their former Vice President of Football Operations during the glory years.

Presently, there is little doubt that McVay has injected enthusiasm into the Ram organization with his energy and attention to detail besides putting together what appears to be one hell of a coaching staff. Again, he has not coached a game yet and McVay has made that point a few times, but you cannot help come away impressed with the Wunderkind and let's hope that this franchise starts winning again because it is right, it is just and God knows, it is time!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think the Rams hit a grand slam home run with McVay.

And I am basing that solely on everything I have read and everything I have seen since they hired him.

Half of Fishers moves were either head scratchers or predictable mistakes or high risk moves.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As for McDaniels and Shanahan... I am so thankful that we didn't settle for either one of them. Simply put. They are both wanna be assholes... but what they both really are are dysfunctional dickheads. I can't stand either one of them and I get the feeling that players will see right through both of them.

WOW! Well, we'll get to see how Shanahan does right up front & close coaching the team up north and it appears that McDaniels will be the heir apparent in New England so let's hope when he takes over there, he goes down in flames just like Jesse James.

Psycho_X

Legend
He talks the talk extremely well. The true test for a coach is how they walk the walk when adversity hits. But so far he's a breath of fresh air compared to the last several years.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
He talks the talk extremely well.

The true test for a coach is how they walk the walk...
Oh don't you worry Psych.

McVay not only walks the walk he is almost strutting!

He's almost moonwalking backwards like Michael Jackson did.

He's walking the walk and talking the talk!

I'll put it this way;
McVay can chew gum, talk and moonwalk backwards all at the same time!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He talks the talk extremely well. The true test for a coach is how they walk the walk when adversity hits. But so far he's a breath of fresh air compared to the last several years.
Man, aint that the truth.
Herman Edwards comes to mind. He came to the Jets and said all the right things, had every cliché down. But none of what he spoke translated to the field, and the play of the team....
McVay seems to have a fresh take on things, seems wise beyond his years. But yeah, the talk is only good if the play matches up