Current Rumors That Would Have Effect On Our Draft Status......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Okay, everyone loves to try and decifer what we will be looking at come late April. So in this posting I will try to shed some light on things w/ (supported somewhat...) what is swirling around other teams that does look to change our pick.....

1. The Texans....while we hold some cards, they hold all of them...and I found a juicy tidbit.....
Bortles has yet to declare for the 2014 draft. While it’s unlikely that he’ll be regarded as good enough to acquire with the first overall pick, the Texans could choose to trade down with a team like the Falcons at No. 6, which may decide to make a play for defensive end Jadeveon Clowney. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/02/bortles-could-be-climbing-up-the-board/ It seems that O'brian and Bortles' current coach worked together in the past....... I could see this happening.

And that leads us to #2.... The Browns...... If they do grab McDaniels....here would be a possibility for his QB......
Back in 2009, former Pats V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli finagled a deal to bring Matt Cassel to Kansas City before McDaniels could pull it off, leaving McDaniels to rely on Kyle Orton for most of McDaniels’ ultimately failed tenure in Denver.

This time around, Cassel once again is under contract. But Cassel can opt out of the second year of his deal with the Vikings, allowing him to sign with any other team he chooses.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-could-finally-get-the-quarterback-he-wanted/

Now what does these rumors mean......that we would be having a Bridgewater raffle....but there wouldn't be as many "bidders" as some would like to see...... (Jax, Minny, Oakland...maybe...) but that would reduce our "payoff" substantially
But it's interesting none the less......

iced

i disagree - there's still of a ton of talent outside whoever goes #1.

The bidding war comes into play when teams like Atlanta/Bucs are going to covet a pass rusher, while raiders,browns,jags,and vikes are probably coveting qb's.

who wants to take a risk and stand still, who wants to make sure they move up and get their guy?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
When you need a QB, trading down is a poor option. It means you don't like a guy enough to take him with your pick. And you are willing to chance losing him to another team. And if you do end up with him, like the Bills did with Manuel, it usually means nobody wanted him anywhere near that spot.

The Texans have a new HC, and they are desperate for a new QB. They have their choice of QBs who are clearly first round material. They aren't trading down to take Bortles. If they want him, they'll take him #1. No fooling around to pick up another pick.

Alan

Legend
max with perfect logic:
When you need a QB, trading down is a poor option. It means you don't like a guy enough to take him with your pick. And you are willing to chance losing him to another team. And if you do end up with him, like the Bills did with Manuel, it usually means nobody wanted him anywhere near that spot.

The Texans have a new HC, and they are desperate for a new QB. They have their choice of QBs who are clearly first round material. They aren't trading down to take Bortles. If they want him, they'll take him #1. No fooling around to pick up another pick.
:number1:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But we did the same thing w/ Brockers. Thought he was #6 value.....and got lucky and got him @ 14 w/ a couple more picks. Houston could do the same and pick up a 2nd rounder for a secondary pick (which they are really hurting in....),

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
yup so basically we have the first tradable pick

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
As bad as Houston's record was this season I don't think that it's indicative of the talent level on their roster. They had to deal with injuries to their top two running backs and a QB who apparently used up all his football talent last year.

They may just be one player away from making it back to the playoffs, so I don't know that they'll necessarily be looking to turn the number one pick into multiple picks.

They could take Bridgewater (or whomever) and have him working with Arian Foster/Ben Taint, Andre Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, and Owen Daniels. Or they could take Clowney and pair him up with J.J. Watt for a potentially NFL best pass rush.

If I was the Texans GM I wouldn't screw around with trades, I'd take my guy at 1 and get on with it.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
But we did the same thing w/ Brockers. Thought he was #6 value.....and got lucky and got him @ 14 w/ a couple more picks. Houston could do the same and pick up a 2nd rounder for a secondary pick (which they are really hurting in....),

First off, a DT is a different fish that a QB. With QBs, it's way too important a position to open up to missing on the preferred guy even if its close.

And I believe the Rams had Brockers rated close to Cox and would have been happy with either.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
so what CAP hit does the Texans take if they get rid of shaub? could that change their thinking about taking a QB. i really dont think he is that bad of a QB as said above they had alot of injuries this year.

ausmurp

Starter
Rams could draft the Luck clone Bortles with the second pick in first rd, and still get OT Cyrus Kouandjio with the thirteenth pick in first rd...and still have a great draft. Let Bortles sit behind Bradford for a yr or two, develop him, then unleash him ala Aaron Rodgers...i like this rumor :)

ausmurp

Starter
A very real possibility is the Jags hear we are trading to a team to snag a player they covet, so they exchange first rd picks w us and give us Blackmon...

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
If Atlanta trades up for Clowney? Why?
They have no pass rush.....since Abrahams left. And they are just a couple of guys away (if healthy....)

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
if they fall in love with him and think someone might trade with us for him...like the bucs...or he may not make it to 6

Ok, but I'm talking about what I quoted. Why wouldn't there still be as many bidders for Bridgewater if the Atlanta traded up?

iced

Ok, but I'm talking about what I quoted. Why wouldn't there still be as many bidders for Bridgewater if the Atlanta traded up?
i think bridgewater is gone at #1... O'brien said first position to fix was qb

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
If Cleveland hires McDaniel (as stated in original posting...) then he would want to get his "own" having been undone (@ Denver by Pioli in KC...) and Cassell would be available, allowing for them to use draft pick in another direction. That would leave Jax, Oak, Houston (@ 6 from Atl) and Minny as teams looking @ QB. Houston would already be looking for Bortles @ 6 because they think he'll still be there (Maybe) and I think Oakland would want Manziel if he were there. So then it would be down to Jax or Minn for Bridgewater... (and I ain't sure Jax is looking at QB.....they could go after a vet as the whole team is inexpierenced and could go after a pass rusher .......Barr) or an OT as they gave up Monroe to Baltimore last year.............

iced

If Cleveland hires McDaniel (as stated in original posting...) then he would want to get his "own" having been undone (@ Denver by Pioli in KC...) and Cassell would be available, allowing for them to use draft pick in another direction. That would leave Jax, Oak, Houston (@ 6 from Atl) and Minny as teams looking @ QB. Houston would already be looking for Bortles @ 6 because they think he'll still be there (Maybe) and I think Oakland would want Manziel if he were there. So then it would be down to Jax or Minn for Bridgewater... (and I ain't sure Jax is looking at QB.....they could go after a vet as the whole team is inexpierenced and could go after a pass rusher .......Barr) or an OT as they gave up Monroe to Baltimore last year.............

except that Lombardi is the GM in cleveland, and is enamored with Manziel..

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
except that Lombardi is the GM in cleveland, and is enamored with Manziel..
I haven't heard that. I have read many saying it but no connection to Lombardi himself.......... And it depends on which direction they go for coach. But then again, halfway through the season, I was saying no one in the first round would even be looking at the kid....so what do I know.......!