Cromartie

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
-Joyner got beat on a REALLY good move last game, I'm not going to now say he gets beat all over the place. He filled in nicely last year. He a perfect nickel back.

- Coty isnt all pro but has good football sense. A little undersized to cover 6'3 receivers but he does have value in my opionion.

- I expect Gaines to recover his starting position by game 1,

- admittedly, I dont have a real good read on Roberson

Having said all that....hell yes Cromartie could help. Not sure we would pay the price to get him, but in a world where Coutland Freakin Finnegan landed a job in the NFL (signed by Saints last week) there is always room for a decent cover corner.

My problem (and the NFL's problem) with Cromartie is that he got beat like he stole something all last year. Man was toast.

Right now, I want Gaines back healthy. A CB group of:
1. Trumaine Johnson
2. E.J. Gaines
3. LaMarcus Joyner
4. Coty Sensabaugh
5. Marcus Roberson (or a UDFA who beats him out)

is a solid group.

…..

Legend
My problem (and the NFL's problem) with Cromartie is that he got beat like he stole something all last year. Man was toast.

Right now, I want Gaines back healthy. A CB group of:
1. Trumaine Johnson
2. E.J. Gaines
3. LaMarcus Joyner
4. Coty Sensabaugh
5. Marcus Roberson (or a UDFA who beats him out)

is a solid group.

I agree. Cap management group right there as well. Dont need to blow the door off the bank, but as Cromarties play has regressed, so should his pay.

…..

Legend
Of all the smack we can talk about Jeff Fisher being average.....I think we all agree that we have done one helluva job developing young DB's since he's been here.

Rodney McCloud must surely be his biggest fan after we developed him into upper echelon pay rates.

So I dont get the feeling the Rams are interested in any FA DB's.....weve kept one purchased corner and or S in the previous years (Finnegan/Barron/Sensabaugh) just to keep things tied up with enough vet presence to get us by.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Their completions were short, and they did not put the ball in the end-zone often.
LOL....I said don't quote me...
Hmmm....
Corner play....I love looking at feet...There were a family of DB's I first learned really how to cover...at 17, I met the Cherry's....One of them was really good, Deron...main emphasis was on the feet...footwork...
If you watch the touchdown Joyner surrendered, watch his feet...pounding, nothing light about them...you state how we give up completions (68%) but not touchdowns. Yet, here is Joyner, biting on the in move, I guess to make a break on the pass, to get a coveted PBU....I get it, yet, our philosophy is to NOT allow TD's...bendy but don't breaky...I don't likey, but I get it...yet here is Joyner, breaking from this philosophy....with heavy feet, and slow to recover when it becomes apparent Williams is indeed going deep. Doesn't try to impede his progress, and no make up speed on those heavily pounding feet. Lastly, he NEVER looks for the ball, not that it would have helped, beautiful throw by Dak, but never looked. In fact, he never seems to look, or doesn't know when to look. Lacks that internal clock..that natural db's have...
Not great speed, not good size, with poor instincts in a scheme made for corners ot basically come up and prevent the big play....that's my story, and I'm sticking to it...
And, and, AND we knew going into the draft we may need a replacement. hmmm...
Look around, I'm sure you've seen several corners on teams that could easily challenge what we have on the roster...there are ALWAYS corners & receivers that are out there...for some reason, we've settled for Joyner...to play a crucial position...Look at teams 3rd wr...the slot wr....
I'm praying for EJ's health...but I'm also encouraged about Roberson & Hill...I don't know what to think about Sensabaugh...I only remember his pick 6 vs Winston last year...unlike Joyner, he's actually in position to MAKE plays, has good feet, and recovery speed. Maybe the DB coach can find something that works with him.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
-Joyner got beat on a REALLY good move last game, I'm not going to now say he gets beat all over the place. He filled in nicely last year. He a perfect nickel back

That play really bothered me.
1. The ball hung in the air long enough that a capable CB could have been in position to knock it away, if not pick it off himself. It's like that play happened in slow motion.

2. Cody Davis was MIA, when he should have provided help over the top. I know there are quite a few Cody Davis fans on this board - I'm not one of them.

…..

Legend
That play really bothered me.
1. The ball hung in the air long enough that a capable CB could have been in position to knock it away, if not pick it off himself. It's like that play happened in slow motion.

2. Cody Davis was MIA, when he should have provided help over the top. I know there are quite a few Cody Davis fans on this board - I'm not one of them.

I'm sure Joyner is getting his fair share of shame in the locker room this week. lol

I'm not a Cody Davis man either.....which makes the loss of Randolph that much more painful. Not saying he was going to make it, but be brings some boom and Fish loves that. Would have liked to see the camp battle and if I was to bet, I'd go all in on Randolph over Davis.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get it, yet, our philosophy is to NOT allow TD's...bendy but don't breaky...I don't likey, but I get it...yet here is Joyner, breaking from this philosophy....

In a preseason game...while we're playing a vanilla scheme...while he's out of position...

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Even though Joyner bit, I thought he recovered pretty well IIRC. Dak made a nice throw though.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I would have loved Cromartie over Sensabaugh but we have him so I guess we will stick with him. Any DB would struggle to cover Dez but Sensabaugh has never covered any receiver well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He almost always lines up in the slot. Double moves like that are quite difficult to perform in the slot. And seeing that again, it really changes my entire perception of the play. Even the best CBs get duped by a good double move at times. Joyner actually did a tremendous job recovering (despite your assertions that he didn't) and got himself in position to defend the pass. Prescott dropped it in the bucket over the shoulder. Joyner still nearly was able to get a hand on it. Not much you can do to defend a perfect pass. If that ball was less accurately thrown, Joyner was in position to knock it away.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If that ball was less accurately thrown, Joyner was in position to knock it away.
Ahhh....exactly....it was a perfect pass...It was decent coverage...the only problem I have is...he failed to turn around to even make a play on the ball if it WAS poorly thrown...Probably would've pass interfered if it was throw short...and I constantly see this outta Joyner. Like he's unsure of himself, still. Play the ball, show ball skills, don't freeze up...I just have my doubts he'll ever perform as a corner...Lord forbid his man motions out wide...I guess..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ahhh....exactly....it was a perfect pass...It was decent coverage...the only problem I have is...he failed to turn around to even make a play on the ball if it WAS poorly thrown...Probably would've pass interfered if it was throw short...and I constantly see this outta Joyner. Like he's unsure of himself, still. Play the ball, show ball skills, don't freeze up...I just have my doubts he'll ever perform as a corner...Lord forbid his man motions out wide...I guess..

He couldn't play the ball there because he was in recovery mode. He played the WR's eyes and hands and did a pretty nice job of it. He swatted at the right time.