Cromartie

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Should we take a look at him to help stabalize our CB room. We have a lot of young guys with little experience that we are depending on.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Experience isn't the problem at corner, it's talent...Joyner doesn't have it, and Coty never did...I actually think Coty can be worked with...Joyner...dude gets beat wherever he's put on the field...Time to really look at Roberson...Hill....Jordan...Washington...lets take a peek at these guys...May have a diamond on the roster...or...scan the waiver wire in a few weeks...I saw a bunch of good corner play this weekend from some 3rd teamers....I think our guys can play better if given the opportunity...that is, get up on your man, 0 coverage...with no help, get your hands up & on the wrs...and ball....
I think Roberson is ready to play, and start...Troy Hill was always around the ball thrown his way in the Pac-12, I like him the best....Jordan is a pick magnet....Washington comes from Bama...let these guys loose...
Again, I'm pulling for Coty Sensabaugh...good guy, and despite what many think, he WAS right there...get yo head around Coty...make a damn play! Joyner is just too small...not sure what his position is....his footwork looks terrible to me...weak back pedal...no real corner skills..and the champ killer, looks slow...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Experience isn't the problem at corner, it's talent...Joyner doesn't have it, and Coty never did...I actually think Coty can be worked with...Joyner...dude gets beat wherever he's put on the field...Time to really look at Roberson...Hill....Jordan...Washington...lets take a peek at these guys...May have a diamond on the roster...or...scan the waiver wire in a few weeks...I saw a bunch of good corner play this weekend from some 3rd teamers....I think our guys can play better if given the opportunity...that is, get up on your man, 0 coverage...with no help, get your hands up & on the wrs...and ball....
I think Roberson is ready to play, and start...Troy Hill was always around the ball thrown his way in the Pac-12, I like him the best....Jordan is a pick magnet....Washington comes from Bama...let these guys loose...
Again, I'm pulling for Coty Sensabaugh...good guy, and despite what many think, he WAS right there...get yo head around Coty...make a damn play! Joyner is just too small...not sure what his position is....his footwork looks terrible to me...weak back pedal...no real corner skills..and the champ killer, looks slow...

I like troy hill the best too.. im definitley not sold on Roberson though and i think Joyner os best suited for the slot. He isnt fast but he is quick and scrappy and thats what you need from a slot corner.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah, we're already 5 deep with guys that could start on a lot of teams

Who are those 5 guys. Right now i only see 1 and thats Trumaine.

jjab360

Legend
Who are those 5 guys. Right now i only see 1 and thats Trumaine.
TruJo, Gaines of course, Roberson and Joyner played well last year, and Sensabaugh starting for the Titans last year is ipso facto evidence. I'm not saying they would start and be pro bowlers, just that they would be starting players on a lot of the more CB needy teams in the NFL.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like troy hill the best too..
On pure ball skills, that dude is a ball hawk, in press/man and off coverage... I can't see why he didn't get a shot while Sensabaugh & Joyner were getting beat.
Speaking of Joyner...he's supposed to be a honeybadger type, and I don't see any of the football instincts that T. Mathieu's displays...Always late to the ball, late to recover..the only thing he does well is tackle...but as far as coverage, he's just waiting to get beat...worst corner on the team...for 3 years now...no way he's better than the guy Reid we cut...Roberson's teammate.
Not sure why you don't like roberson...he's not physical, but he understands how to cover, and can find the ball...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On pure ball skills, that dude is a ball hawk, in press/man and off coverage... I can't see why he didn't get a shot while Sensabaugh & Joyner were getting beat.
Speaking of Joyner...he's supposed to be a honeybadger type, and I don't see any of the football instincts that T. Mathieu's displays...Always late to the ball, late to recover..the only thing he does well is tackle...but as far as coverage, he's just waiting to get beat...worst corner on the team...for 3 years now...no way he's better than the guy Reid we cut...Roberson's teammate.
Not sure why you don't like roberson...he's not physical, but he understands how to cover, and can find the ball...

I just havent seen enough out of Roberson honestly. The only images of him i have in my head was him getting beat. I think his ball skills are better than his coverage, maybe because we play too much zone and not enough man. I really liked Reid didnt understand why he didnt make the team.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Roberson is a very good 4th CB.

Joyner is decent in the slot and is a sure tackler...with the safeties, Joyner and TruJo, you can tell they want the DL to force the ball out early and then the DBs to come up and make tackles. None of these guys really excel in coverage except for TruJo, and even then he never should have been kept over Jenkins unless it's a scheme thing - which is the point of my post. Hopefully Gaines recovers and is capable of starting - there have been a thousand guys that had a good rookie year and still ended up being JAGs.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just havent seen enough out of Roberson honestly.
Exactly....need to see him out there...and he's probably a man to man corner, not all zoned out...It's probably why EJ thrived when he got here, he's playing the same way he did in college...

After last game, I'm hoping the make Sensabaugh & Joyner battle for the slot corner roll...man did they stink up the field vs a rookie QB...which means, they're overwhelmed...

And give Troy Hill & Roberson the starter reps on the outside and SEE if one of them is the real deal....I have a feeling Troy will barely beat out Roberson...because his coverage is skin tight....in zone or man...But I'm keeping both of them with EJ hurt....

Speaking of which, I think we keep 6 corners, and 4 safeties now...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly....need to see him out there...and he's probably a man to man corner, not all zoned out...It's probably why EJ thrived when he got here, he's playing the same way he did in college...

After last game, I'm hoping the make Sensabaugh & Joyner battle for the slot corner roll...man did they stink up the field vs a rookie QB...which means, they're overwhelmed...

And give Troy Hill & Roberson the starter reps on the outside and SEE if one of them is the real deal....I have a feeling Troy will barely beat out Roberson...because his coverage is skin tight....in zone or man...But I'm keeping both of them with EJ hurt....

Speaking of which, I think we keep 6 corners, and 4 safeties now...

I do think our corners would be better playing more press expecially with our dl giving up pressure that zone look just leaves all of those underneath routes open. I agree on all counts its time to make that cb position a open battle

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
He's an interesting option, but I don't know if there is enough of a need to bring him in yet. You got some in house guys you need to evaluate more.

When the 53 comes in and if at that point you still question the position, then you look at a guy like Cro.

TXRams86

The Infamous
He's too busy evicting his mom from the house he supposedly bought her. :baghead:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Experience isn't the problem at corner, it's talent...Joyner doesn't have it, and Coty never did...I actually think Coty can be worked with...Joyner...dude gets beat wherever he's put on the field...

That's certainly not what happened in real games last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I think Hill is going to earn a roster spot this year. He has some talent and really good instincts and with some time under Williams and this scheme he might be something.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Joyner doesn't have it

Wow, Champ. You are really down on Joyner. I saw a couple plays Saturday that were close. I think he belongs in the slot. I am not saying you are wrong, but are you basing your opinions on Saturday, or truly the last 3 years? Just curious. It seems the coaches are high on him. You seem to be ready to throw him on the DB scrap heap on top of Tye Hill and Justin King.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wow, Champ. You are really down on Joyner. I saw a couple plays Saturday that were close. I think he belongs in the slot. I am not saying you are wrong, but are you basing your opinions on Saturday, or truly the last 3 years? Just curious. It seems the coaches are high on him. You seem to be ready to throw him on the DB scrap heap on top of Tye Hill and Justin King.
If he played out wide, yes he'd be in the discussion of J. King....always late...always allows the big 3rd down completion...He started to become decent, then the hit on Teddy seemed to sap his juice. Never understood why we drafted him in the 2nd round....Especially after watching him play. dude doesn't cover. It's probably why everyone screams to move him to safety...he can't stick his man...
That's certainly not what happened in real games last year.
Not sure where you're going with this...we allowed the 3rd highest completion percentage I believe...2nd highest yards a completion...just stats off the top of my head...Don't quote me... LOL
Out of Jenkins, and Tru, Joyner was our worst corner...he did get better, but I rarely if ever see him involved in pbu's....passed defensed...6 last year?
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16769/lamarcus-joyner
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2015.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2015.htm
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-secondaries-entering-the-2016-season/
they have Joyner—who graded out as average in coverage last season, and was a bit of a liability against the run
While he graded out as avg....you know how I feel about pff, all stats are not created equal, game in, game out...dude is a liability in coverage, and they say he's weak against the run too...and this is with a dominant D-Line. What is gonna help his game?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-5-winners-5-losers-from-nfl-preseason-week-1/
Biggest winners
1. Rams’ defensive line

The rich get richer. The Rams already figure to have one of the best defensive lines in the NFL, with the three-stud combo of Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, and Michael Brockers alone. That’s why when a second-year undrafted rookie from Northwest Missouri puts on a clinic in the first half against Dallas, some eyes start to open. In fact, DE Matt Longacre collected the highest pass-rushing grade and run-defense grade of any NFL edge defender in Week 1 of the preseason. In 36 snaps, he recorded two hits and three hurries.

Perhaps it's the attempt to force him to play outside...perhaps it's just he's not my idea of an impact player...until I see it, I think we have 4-5 guys that bring what he brings to the table...and to become top 10, we need to remove these type of weak links from the field...

Ram65

Legend
That was pain vanilla defense. No defensive game plan. No pass rush. No disguising coverage. I don't recall much blitzing. All early preseason games are the same with Fisher/Williams. Not the time to panic but, the Rams and most NFL teams can always use another solid DB. I'm not sure if Cromartie is the best available.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure where you're going with this...we allowed the 3rd highest completion percentage I believe...2nd highest yards a completion...just stats off the top of my head...Don't quote me... LOL

Unfortunately, I have to quote you. ;)

We were 5th worst in completion percentage and 15th best in yards per attempt. We were 6th best in yards per completion allowed. We were 7th best in passing TDs allowed.

In fact, teams completed a high percentage of passes against us but did very little besides that. Their completions were short, and they did not put the ball in the end-zone often.

That's not really a fair comparison. Tru and Jenkins are both being paid as top 10 CBs. Joyner being worse than them doesn't mean he can't cover anyone.

And PFF ranking us as the #27 secondary is laughable. They ranked as their #7 secondary last year. And while we lost Janoris and McLeod, we got Gaines and McDonald back healthy.

While he graded out as avg....you know how I feel about pff, all stats are not created equal, game in, game out...dude is a liability in coverage, and they say he's weak against the run too...and this is with a dominant D-Line. What is gonna help his game?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-5-winners-5-losers-from-nfl-preseason-week-1/

You post PFF analysis saying he's average in coverage and then claim he's liability? That doesn't jive with me. And the guy is certainly not a liability in the run game. Nor is he a liability in coverage. What is gonna help his game? His game is fine as is. But experience will help his game.(and being moved to FS would help his game imo)

Perhaps it's the attempt to force him to play outside...perhaps it's just he's not my idea of an impact player...until I see it, I think we have 4-5 guys that bring what he brings to the table...and to become top 10, we need to remove these type of weak links from the field...

Gaines is the only other guy on this roster that brings what Joyner does to the table. They're the only guys I trust in the slot.

…..

Legend
-Joyner got beat on a REALLY good move last game, I'm not going to now say he gets beat all over the place. He filled in nicely last year. He a perfect nickel back.

- Coty isnt all pro but has good football sense. A little undersized to cover 6'3 receivers but he does have value in my opionion.

- I expect Gaines to recover his starting position by game 1 and start right side opposite Trumaine.

- admittedly, I dont have a real good read on Roberson

Having said all that....hell yes Cromartie could help. Not sure we would pay the price to get him, but in a world where Coutland Freakin Finnegan landed a job in the NFL (signed by Saints last week) there is always room for a decent cover corner.