Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Wide Receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who is your favorite All-Time Rams WR?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Wide Receiver
gettyimages-1704492.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/26/creating-the-all-time-rams-roster-wide-receiver/

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hey

Not bad at least you didn't call me stupid for leaving out Billy Waddy
When @DaveFan'51 wakes up, you might get a pretty good sound thrashing.

I could have swapped Holt for Ellard, but Ellard was special. At least for most Rams fans, that had the pleasure if watching him do forward flips after TD's

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
OK! here's the "Old Timers" Top 6, IN ORDER!!
1) Fears
2) Hirsch
3) B_R_U_C_E!
4) Holt
5) Snow
6a) Ellard
6b) Anderson
Them's MY Picks, and I Stands by 'um!!:mrburnsevil:

SierraRam

Recreational User
Hey

Not bad at least you didn't call me stupid for leaving out Billy Waddy

No doubt, Waddy made a huge catch against the Cowgirls, but he doesn't quite belong on this list IMHO. I'd put Harold Jackson ahead of him.

For our 4-receiver set:

Bruce
Ellard
Holt
Snow

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
WHAT?? How did you not include Marty Gilyard on here??

Bruce
Holt
Ellard

Boom.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
1. Holt
2. Bruce
3. Ellard
4. Hakim

Isaac was great, but Torry put up a historical run from 2000-2007 that no other WR has come close to.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Legatron4
Torry benefitted from a once in a lifetime offense, coordinator, and QB...That some of the others didn't have at the prime of their careers.

For a bunch of you, Snow, CrazyLegs Hirsch, and I wanna say Alworth were awesome when throwing wasn't all that popular. Who knows what Crazylegs woulda done while playing in the 1990's.

Ellard was my favorite until I saw Bruce...And Bruce just got Better and better...

Hopefully, Brian Quick will get going and be in the conversation in 2024....LOLOLOLOLOL! Seriously, I really like that kids talent...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
@Legatron4
Torry benefitted from a once in a lifetime offense, coordinator, and QB...That some of the others didn't have at the prime of their careers.

For a bunch of you, Snow, CrazyLegs Hirsch, and I wanna say Alworth were awesome when throwing wasn't all that popular. Who knows what Crazylegs woulda done while playing in the 1990's.

Ellard was my favorite until I saw Bruce...And Bruce just got Better and better...

Hopefully, Brian Quick will get going and be in the conversation in 2024....LOLOLOLOLOL! Seriously, I really like that kids talent...
Yes that is true. But wouldn't have Bruce benefitted the same way? I don't think you could have put any WR in that position and they put up the same numbers.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yes that is true. But wouldn't have Bruce benefitted the same way? I don't think you could have put any WR in that position and they put up the same numbers.
Not quite.
Bruce was one of the most dangerous WR'S before Martz.
He was blowing people away with Chris Miller at QB on a Rich Brooks coached team.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Bruce did benefit as well, but not for as long. A couple years of Bruce's prime were stolen by injuries. If he had been healthy 97-98, those records Holt set probably wouldn't have been around to be set. The dude put up nearly 1800 yards with Chris Miller at QB and NO other wide receivers.

And yes, injuries stole years at the end of Holt's career. Both were something special. But I just feel that Bruce was...special-er...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I thinks it's becoming all too clear, the Rams have had a BUNCH of Truly GREAT WR's over the Years!!:fuelfire::mrburnsevil::snicker::cheers::banana:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm the only one to vote for Hirsch????

What universe is this??? WTF

Hirsch Bruce Snow

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since some of you couldn't open the link I am posting the article for this here
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/26/creating-the-all-time-rams-roster-wide-receiver/
gettyimages-1704492.jpg

In this new series, we will break down our All-Time Rams roster position-by-position. We last covered the running backs, and now it’s time to move on to the wide receivers. We’ll have three starters and two backups for this position.

Starter: Torry Holt
gettyimages-82903203.jpg

The one with the nickname Big Game. Torry Holt was a pivotal force for the Greatest Show on Turf. The former NC State product was drafted sixth overall in the 1999 NFL draft. He is second all-time in Rams receiving yards and has seven Pro-Bowl appearances under his belt.

Holt is a guy who played through times of triumph and many times of defeat. Regardless of who was throwing him the ball he seemed to always have a knack for making plays. He had a crazy eight-straight seasons with 1,000-plus yards, and only missed three games over his 10-year Rams career.

The big play wide receiver is the obvious choice to start on this team. He proved not only that he’s an elite talent and should be in the Hall of Fame, but he also proved he was a great teammate. Holt stayed through some rough times, even when it seemed as though his team wasn’t improving. Today, Holt remains one of the most respected Rams.

Starter: Isaac Bruce
gettyimages-519387611.jpg

Now it would just make no sense to leave off Isaac Bruce after we just named him to the Rams Mount Rushmore. The obviously dangerous duo of Holt and Bruce would be back in full force if we could make this happen. Bruce is the Rams all-time leader in receiving yards. He was the last remaining L.A. Ram until the Rams moved back to Los Angeles this year.

Bruce was too explosive in space for defenses to handle. Aside from leading the franchise in career yardage, the former Memphis wide receiver also earned accolades such as the most years played, most touchdowns and most career receptions. Bruce was another great teammate, as well as a fan favorite who is an obvious choice to not only make an appearance, but start on this roster.

Starter: Elroy Hirsch
The man they called Crazy Legs. Why do you think that is? For starters, Elroy Hirsch was explosive. How explosive? Hirsch racked up 54 touchdowns in his nine seasons as a Cleveland and Los Angeles Ram. He also had a ridiculous Rams career average of 18.36 yards per catch and he retired as the all-time Rams leader in receiving yards (a record which was later broken obviously).

The Hall of Fame receiver had one of the most dominant seasons ever as well. In 1951, the season the Rams won the NFL Championship, Hirsch finished first in every statistical category for a wide receiver.

Think about the numbers he put up that year, while doing it in only 12 games. They included 66 receptions, 1,495 yards, 22.7 yards per catch, 17 touchdowns and 124.6 yards per game. Now imagine him in the slot with Bruce and Holt on the outside, Eric Dickerson at running back and Kurt Warner under center.

Lethal.

Backup: Tom Fears
The Hall of Famer out of UCLA was part of the dynamic duo from the Cleveland and Los Angeles Rams team that featured aforementioned Crazy Legs Hirsch. Fears helped lead the Rams to an NFL Championship in 1951.

Fears is currently sixth all time in Rams history in total receptions with 400. He was the leader at the time he retired, and in nine seasons, he recorded 5,397 receiving yards and 38 touchdowns.

There is no doubt defenses would be cringing if they saw Fears’ name on the same team as Bruce, Holt and Hirsch. He is arguably the fourth-best Rams receiver all time, so he just misses the cut as a starter, but still makes it on the classic roster.

Backup: Henry Ellard
gettyimages-2718912.jpg

Before it was Bruce wearing No. 80, there was Henry Ellard donning the number in the blue and yellow threads. Ellard was drafted in the second round of the 1983 NFL draft out of Fresno State.

The Rams great would go on to play 11 seasons with the team, and made plenty of noise along the way. He finished his time in horns as the all-time receptions (593) and receiving yards (9,761) leader. Of course, soon after came Bruce and Holt, who surpassed him.

Ellard is somewhat unfairly underrated, but we’re happy to give him some much-deserved love.

Honorable Mention
Jack Snow
Snow, unlike all of the names above, did not start his career with the Rams. Or, he sort of did, but it was via trade after being selected by the Minnesota Vikings eighth overall in the 1965 NFL draft.

The wide receiver from Notre Dame had a crazy 1967 campaign in which he averaged 26.3 yards per catch, which is the sixth-highest for a season in league history.

Snow was a go-to receiver for Rams QB Roman Gabriel. He finished his career as a Ram with 340 catches, 6,012 yards, 45 touchdowns and a crazy yard-per-catch average of 17.68.

Willie Anderson
gettyimages-89751262.jpg

Flipper Anderson came from UCLA, and was drafted in the second round of the 1988 NFL draft. With the help of Rams’ all-time leading passer Jim Everett, he set the record for most receiving yards in a single game with 336 during his second season. This is a record which still stands today.

He remained a reliable target for Everett, and wound up carving out a nice seven-year tenure with the Rams. During that stretch, he totaled 259 receptions, 5,246 yards, 26 touchdown catches and a whopping 20.25 yards per catch average.