Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Tight End

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Tight End
gettyimages-90100349.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/27/creating-the-all-time-rams-roster-tight-end/
By: Jake Ellenbogen | 6 hours ago

In this new series, we will break down our All-Time Rams roster position-by-position. We last covered the wide receivers, and now it’s time to move on to the tight ends. We’ll have one starter and two backups for this position.

Starter: Billy Truax
Going from a torn hamstring on his first day of training camp with the team that drafted him, to our number one tight end in Rams history. Billy Truax was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the second round of the 1964 NFL draft and was traded before ever playing for the Browns.

The former LSU Tiger racked up 180 catches, 2,177 yards and 16 touchdowns in seven years before the Rams traded him to the Dallas Cowboys. Truax had that look of a hard-nosed football player. He was a physical freak at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds. He unfortunately fell victim to being in the wrong era as his big play ability was underutilized.

Backup: Pete Holohan
gettyimages-90100467.jpg

Holohan only played three seasons with the Rams, but he was as solid as they come. He came into the NFL out of Notre Dame and had a productive 12-year career. Ironically, his time with the Rams might have been his best, even though he played the majority of his career with the San Diego Chargers.

He totaled 159 catches, 1,625 yards and seven touchdowns with the Rams. Shockingly, that ended up being only 12 less catches and 448 less yards than what he totaled in four more years with the Chargers. It’s tough to think about what could have been had Holohan found his way to Los Angeles earlier.

Backup: Ernie Conwell
A major fan favorite, Ernie Conwell was a contributor for the Greatest Show on Turf. He was loved by his teammates as well as the fans. Conwell was drafted by the Rams in 1996 during the second round out of Washington.

Injuries plagued Conwell and cost him 27 games. Still, the Rams tight end would finish with 146 catches for 1,574 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also would go on to win a Super Bowl with the Rams. Conwell was also a good blocker and considered to be one of the more reliable options on the offensive unit.

Honorable Mention
Lance Kendricks

Yup. Before you call me crazy, keep in mind that the Rams have a very slim group of talent at tight end in their history, and this is also honorable mention. To put it as simply as possible, the Rams have never had a Pro-Bowl tight end in their history.

Kendricks has actually had a decent career for not getting much of a chance to start. He has a total of 154 catches, 1,633 yards and 15 touchdowns in 63 starts out of 77 games played.

Clearly the Rams see something in Kendricks, as they let former starter Jared Cook hit free agency, and signed a four-year extension with the 28-year-old last offseason. This year he’ll finally enter the season as the number one tight end for the Rams.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This is a tough one for different reasons.
We Rams have never really "featured" the TE a passing weapon.
The Zampese offense rarely focust on the TE. (Coryell /Zampese/ Martz tree)

We've had some decent ones though.

Conwell was my favotite. He was an animal.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is a tough one for different reasons.
We Rams have never really "featured" the TE a passing weapon.
The Zampese offense rarely focust on the TE. (Coryell /Zampese/ Martz tree)

We've had some decent ones though.

Conwell was my favotite. He was an animal.
Conwell unfortunately dealt with injury that hurt him. I think talent wise, Holohan was the best but Truax got the nod based off longevity.

Last edited by a moderator:

SierraRam

Recreational User
He was a little before my time, but I was told by my older brother that Tom Fears was our best All-Time TE.

Tom Fears played all of his professional seasons with the Los Angeles Rams. His top Fantasy Point season with the Rams came in 1949 when he averaged 8.70 points per game which is the same points per game as his career average. In his 9 seasons with the Rams his fantasy point average per season has not dropped below 1.23 points per game.

by www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com

Hey @DaveFan'51 , how does Fears compare to Truax and Conwell in your opinion?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  1. Holohan
  2. Truax
  3. Conwell
  4. Kendricks

Glad to see Lance get some love here. I think he would have done pretty well without The Cook mistake.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  1. Holohan
  2. Truax
  3. Conwell
  4. Kendricks
Glad to see Lance get some love here. I think he would have done pretty well without The Cook mistake.
Glad you like Lance too! I was worried I would get crucified for him being an honorable mention haha

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Tough one. Toss up between these I guess....
st.-louis-rams-cheerleaders-auditiona.jpg

25bad298713ecdaf8f91b2b5a7853209.jpg

jap

Legend
For whatever reason I don't remember much about Billy Truax. I was probly too young for his name to make an indelible mark in my mind.

Therefore, my favorite Horns TE was without question Pete Holohan. On a Rams team that featured Henry Ellard and Flipper Anderson, Pete unquestionably possessed the softest hands, which allowed him to earn a secondary role as the holder for our FG kicker. It's almost a shame that Pete was not featured so much more (probably due to his average speed). I will always remember his acrobatic one handed catches that so befuddled defenders who thought they had effectively covered him.

Ernie Conwell was our resident weight room warrior during his tenure with the Horns. The former decathlete was a strongman par excellence who possessed enough muscle to handle DEs and obviously LBs by himself. He only possessed average hands but he was a wrecking ball for defenders who attempted to handle him with sheer brute strength since the strongest Ram of them all normally came out on top. I remember Conwell scoring on a long pass play (circa 75 yards) when he busted his way through three seemingly sure tackling attempts with sheer brute strength in an impressive mimicry of The Incredible Hulk. I recall him knocking out Tampa Bay's tough SS John Lynch in the 1999 NFC Championship game and then the Tennessee SS during the Super Bowl on the way to winning our first SB championship.

Lance is not a standout in any category, but he does so many things well that he is valuable nevertheless. Although other TEs are more athletic, Kendricks possesses enough speed to sneak deep on seam routes occasionally. He is not a dominating blocker, but he is strong enough to stop most LBs and wily enough to screen off DEs trying to reach our ball carrier. His hands are not special but he isn't a guy defenders can cover lightly, or he can make ythem pay. He will definitely serve as an effective role model for our young TEs to shore up the weaker portions of their games.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He was a little before my time, but I was told by my older brother that Tom Fears was our best All-Time TE.

Tom Fears played all of his professional seasons with the Los Angeles Rams. His top Fantasy Point season with the Rams came in 1949 when he averaged 8.70 points per game which is the same points per game as his career average. In his 9 seasons with the Rams his fantasy point average per season has not dropped below 1.23 points per game.

by www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com

Hey @DaveFan'51 , how does Fears compare to Truax and Conwell in your opinion?
Personally I have Truax as My #1 TE, and Conwell as my #2 TE. BUT I had Fears as My #1 WR!!
Some around here may think I'm stuck in the Past with my picks,( at all positions!) But I think these players could play and play very well in any era!!(y):D So I'll stick with them!!:mustache:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Fun fact: I am from Upstate NY, so his Pete Holohan. I met Pete because his brother was my writing teacher haha