Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Cornerback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pick your 2 starting corners

• Total voters

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Sorry Jake, I have to go with Coach on this one. McCleon was horrible IMHO. I was ecstatic when he was gone. I chose Night Train and LeRoy.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Aeneas Williams? He played just as much CB here as he did safety. When Kim Herring got hurt before 2003 season, Williams took those duties at FS. But he was an all pro in 2001 playing LCB and occasional slot

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Some thoughts on corner; I 'studied' the position like no other on defense....and c what u think:

I always loved Leroy Irvin; however, contract disputers, pot suspensions and other stuff stopped him from being the focuses kind of player that Jerry Gray and Pat THomas were. Irvin was a 4 time ALL PRO, that is saying something. He also, I believe, understood how to play the position with great detail and anticipation, so maybe he is very smart. Also, surprisingly, when the game was on the line, he could tackle very, very well (when the game wasn't on the line was a different story later in his career). In 1990 he still played well for Detroit; his punt returning showed the kind of overall skill that he had. Jerry RIce couldn't beat Irvin in the 1989 game I went to in SF, and Irvin had an int taken away by the ref on a great sideline play.

Jerry Gray was stiff, but smart, tought and a 'baller'. Really fast, and made a lot (!) of mistakes, but kept playing hard and fighting every play. Too badd, he tore his knee up in 1990---he was going to transition to FS and like Ron Lott, might have been a pro bowler there. Small waste, shows he didn't have a lot on his frame, but man he was a special teams ace as a rookie.

Pat Thomas could run, cover, tackle and he was a baller, too. I watch 'all' the 70-80s old Ram games (I have about 250+) and he is my favorite corner to watch, ever.

Todd Lyght
had more skill than anyone on the list (maybe except Night Train). Lyght was very strong, and had so much skill, but was missing something (toughness, good coaching, focus). He made the probowl in his best year ever, 1999....but certainly kept himself out of probowls in 1992-1998 when his skills were worthy, but his play not so great. He never looked like he was running a 4.4 that always irked me.....lack of intensity....? All the opinions of a psycho rams follower.

Darryl Henley was a baller! Tough, tough kid, and what, 175 pounds? He was the Lawrence Phillips of CBs.(RIP in LP). When he "came back" to the team in 1994 the pass D was much, much better.....

Rod Perry could cover, but couldn't tackle and he played more like an athlete than a football player. He and Cromwell got beat by 2 HOFers in the superbowl---I don't know if you can blame them for that. Bradshsaw threw 3 perfect deep balls that game--as perfect as I have seen.

Yes, Ron Bartell became a good player; it took him a while to use his skills. I was shocked at how he locked up Larry Fitz. In fact, he reminds me a bit of T Lyght...maybe I am wrong, though.
NIght train: never saw him play.

Dexer McCleon could play a bit, but talked more than he played sometimes. Ya, Sam Madison was a player, vs Dexter was more like an advertiser for good play ;) ...and couldn't always come through. Dexter had skill, but was out of the look pretty quickly, which means he was not focused--because he had the skill.

Aeneas Williams and Night Train only had like 2 seasons at corner for Rams, so I can't vote for them. A Williams is as prepared and smart and physical as any corner I have ever seen. He never had speed, but it didn't matter. HOFer!

I met Pat Thomas when he coached for the Colts (1998, I think). Pat Thomas had the look of anger, like a LB, even at age 45 or whatever he was....he was a tough sob as they say. I asked him if he remembers the int for the touchdown that was on the cover of all sports pags (with him smiling and waving ball) and he smiled and said 'ya'. I think that was 1977 vs Giants...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Couldn't go too far wrong with any of those choices, imo.

I voted for Night Train because of his incredible career.

My other vote went to TruJo. No Pro Bowls yet, but just look at his career stats after only 4 years. His trajectory will take him into the very highest Ram rankings if he plays for 10 years. Might be a helluva S for a couple of years after that.

The very old and the very new, huh? What can I say?

BTW, interesting that Jenkins was not included in the list. Especially after some have gnashed their teeth about how could we possibly survive his loss? Lol.